Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 AM

75 posts, read 132,067 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional researching areas in the northeast to relocate to from California. I grew up in the northeast and would love to return specifically to MA, but have also been researching elsewhere (Stamford CT, areas around Philly, even as far south as Arlington VA).

I've heard Waltham is more "highly regarded" than Quincy, but Quincy had/has big plans to revitalize the downtown. I've also heard Salem has a good small city vibe. Could you describe the vibe/feel of these locations? Which is more/less walkable? Is it nice to be near the ocean in Quincy/Salem? What makes people prefer Waltham (based on my research)?

I'm seeking an area with positive energy and a community feel, where I can meet young professionals my age. Because I've been living in LA, I'm a bit "over" being in the central/urban areas and the hassles that come with it, hence looking for somewhere besides Cambridge or maybe even Brookline. (Not sure, help!)

If I decide on the Boston area, my work would most likely be near Roxbury, but I'm more interested in learning about these communities as the commute may not be a factor.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:58 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Salem is definitively the most walk-able and pleasing downtown out of the three that you mentioned. However commute wise its not easy to get around the city. Waltham is in a better location with more high paying jobs around however it does not have as quaint of a downtown as Salem. Waltham does have lots of restaurants and bars and I would still recommend it, however Salem has one of my favorite downtown's in the region. The commute from Salem to Roxbury would not be fun during rush hour, your best bet would be to take the commuter rail to north station and the orange line from there.

Personally if I were commuting to Roxbury I would live in Jamaica Plain. It's on the outskirts of the city and not downtown however it has lots of young professionals and is right next to roxbury.

Last edited by tysmith95; 06-19-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 06:28 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I find parts of Waltham, like parts of Quincy, run down and unappealing but would live there due to Moody Street and the restaurants, the fine cinema, major colleges, and proximity to desirable Belmont and Newton. I don't like the buses-only aspect and lack of subway, though commuter rail is there also.

I'm sure Salem has pockets of run down areas also but not as familiar to me overall. But Southie, Somerville and Cambridge also have run-down pockets.

But, yes, as stated above, Salem has a small but nice downtown.

Can't beat the ease of the red line, buses and commuter rail in Quincy, though, depending on your job. And Quincy Shore Drive and the Blue Hills are convenient. And the YMCA just opened less than two years ago.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 AM

55 posts, read 87,647 times
Can't say much about Salem or Waltham but Quincy I know very well. There are a number of new apartment developments recently constructed or still in the works. Many of these are in the higher end but still considerably cheaper than Boston proper. If you want to live near the water you'll have to look in the Marina Bay area but that won't be cheap and not immediately accessible to public transportation. It is very nice however and literally right on the water. Many of the new apartments are in the Quincy Center area which is undergoing extensive renovation. There are a number of new restaurants and the subway to Boston is readily accessible. Quincy is quite a bit larger than Salem or Waltham so people and traffic are issues you have to deal with but the city is undergoing quite a transformation and now is a good time for people thinking of getting in to do so.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Its all about where you will be working. That's first. There are pros and cons to each beyond that. If you're in Roxbury, I too would look to JP.

Last edited by timberline742; 06-20-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM

204 posts, read 286,282 times
I know Quincy the least well, but I'd guess that would be most convenient to a Roxbury job. North Quincy / Wollaston Beach is a pleasant area. My brief impressions have been that it has a more townie vibe than the other two places, and it might be tougher to make other young professional friends just due to a smaller transplant population. I'm not sure about the rest of the town.

Between Waltham and Salem: Salem has more to do, a better downtown, better walkability, and a hipper vibe (in a completely different way from LA), but Waltham is a much better location overall. Salem is not only up the north shore, but a bit far off the highway, so it can feel isolated. Particularly if you want to date or participate in social clubs/sports, I think Waltham would be more convenient to where other young professionals congregate. My roommate does a lot of that stuff and likes the relatively easy trip into Cambridge/Somerville/Boston, while being able to escape back to the quiet of Waltham at the end of the night. Both towns have burgeoning community movements, some of which are anchored in their respective museum communities (Peabody Essex for Salem, Museum of Industry/Gore Place for Waltham). These host social events and educational events that draw both younger and older crowds.

Waltham has a walkable and fun downtown, but the rest of the town is actually pretty car-dependent unless you live along one of the bus lines. It has some really excellent public green spaces and bike paths/trails if you enjoy the outdoors. There have been tons of condo complexes going up which seem to be filling with young professionals. I think it has more variety and more convenience of shopping (groceries, pharmacies, hardware stores, big box stores etc.).

Salem of course has the waterfront, tons of historical stuff, a few very nice parks looking out over the water, and Salem Willows. The mayor is young and energetic and has been driving a lot of new programs and policies. It can get really touristy, so you'd have to not mind that so much. Lots of summer tourists and then the entire month of October gets a little crazy. Again, very different from the urban hassle of LA, but a hassle all the same. There are quieter parts of town that avoid the worst of it, but you'd have to pick an area with an escape route that can skirt the nuttiness.

I agree with the person who mentioned JP as a possible alternative. I'd also look into Watertown.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:58 AM

31 posts, read 28,102 times
You’ll probably find yourself wanting to be a lot less dependent on a car; traffic & parking is not pleasant anywhere around Boston. In that regard the convenience of the subway is a huge plus for Quincy. Working in the city, I'd guess your social scene will develop around the young professional hotspots in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville. The redline provides direct access to those areas, and not having to plan an evening around the off-peak schedules of the commuter rail or an express bus is key. For instance, on a weeknight I’ll hop on the T and grab a beer with friends in Central or Porter squares in Cambridge without thinking twice.

For what it’s worth, I say everything masshawk said about Waltham is true of Quincy. I’ve found my neighborhood to be very welcoming and the recent development and influx of restaurants in Quincy Center will continue to attract newcomers in their 20s and 30s.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
Salem. Closer to more interesting north shore places like Gloucester, Newburyport, Marblehead and easy commuter train to Boston. Waltham is know for many good restaurants and has bus services to rail hubs into Boston but lacks any real charm.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM

254 posts, read 256,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraigie View Post
You’ll probably find yourself wanting to be a lot less dependent on a car; traffic & parking is not pleasant anywhere around Boston. In that regard the convenience of the subway is a huge plus for Quincy. Working in the city, I'd guess your social scene will develop around the young professional hotspots in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville. The redline provides direct access to those areas, and not having to plan an evening around the off-peak schedules of the commuter rail or an express bus is key. For instance, on a weeknight I’ll hop on the T and grab a beer with friends in Central or Porter squares in Cambridge without thinking twice.

For what it’s worth, I say everything masshawk said about Waltham is true of Quincy. I’ve found my neighborhood to be very welcoming and the recent development and influx of restaurants in Quincy Center will continue to attract newcomers in their 20s and 30s.
Agree. In Quincy you are more integrated with Boston and Cambridge than the other two places. The downtown development looks great and will draw many young professionals to Quincy Center. It wasn't too long ago people thought Somerville was too "towny". Quincy is underrated!

Old 06-21-2016, 01:11 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
You won't be a young professional anymore when the Quincy downtown revitalization stuff happens and really takes off.

Waltham and Salem both have great downtowns and good commuter rail access to Boston (North Station). Waltham's rail and bus connections will also get you to Cambridge/Somerville quickly or South Station via the Express Bus. And I'd say rush hour traffic is way more crippling in Salem. But there's a great lively culture in downtown Salem as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts