Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 01:38 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times

Advertisements

This is specific to MA, which is why I posted here.

Anyone using collector car insurance here in MA and have some recommendations as to who to go with, or who to avoid?

The only one I'm familiar with is Haggarty, but haven't heard positive things about them. Trying to see who else is out there as it seems who covers in MA has changed since I last looked into it.

Most collector car insurance co's require garage kept, another vehicle as primary mode of transport, and limited number of miles per year. Just trying to see what options are before I make some calls.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 PM

62 posts, read 69,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This is specific to MA, which is why I posted here.

Anyone using collector car insurance here in MA and have some recommendations as to who to go with, or who to avoid?

The only one I'm familiar with is Haggarty, but haven't heard positive things about them. Trying to see who else is out there as it seems who covers in MA has changed since I last looked into it.

Most collector car insurance co's require garage kept, another vehicle as primary mode of transport, and limited number of miles per year. Just trying to see what options are before I make some calls.

Thanks
You might try Grundy.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:49 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs31 View Post
You might try Grundy.
My father uses them for a number of vehicles and has been generally happy with their rates; however, he's never had to make a claim.

Like Haggerty, he had a have his own private storage and adhere to stipulations on mileage, use, etc. Generally speaking, driving your vehicle to work is a no-no with "collector's" insurance.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Like Haggerty, he had a have his own private storage and adhere to stipulations on mileage, use, etc. Generally speaking, driving your vehicle to work is a no-no with "collector's" insurance.

I think Haggerty does allow for some occasional use as in taking the car to work. I think I saw some wording to that effect. Like once in a while sort of thing, not regular drives

Regardless, I don't plan on driving this car to work anyway. Just weekend pleasure use.

So Grundy and Haggerty are in MA. Anyone else? Already got a quote from Haggerty so I need to check out Grundy now

Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
I just insure my replica Cobra with the same company the others cars are with. When I first built the car I looked into getting a special insurance for it but I didn't like the restrictions and in the end I wasn't going to save that much money.

It's my car and if I want to drive it to a car show, to work, out on errands or on a decent day in the middle of the Winter I can without fear of not being covered.

I'm with commerce ins and I get a multi car, anti theft and a low miles discount on my car.

If you want to enjoy and actually drive your collector car and not just store it somewhere check into regular insurance for it the difference in money may not be that much.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:34 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just insure my replica Cobra with the same company the others cars are with.
I just wanted to chime in and say that's an awesome car.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When I first built the car I looked into getting a special insurance for it but I didn't like the restrictions and in the end I wasn't going to save that much money.
It's a big difference for me. We are talking ~$2K/year, vs $300-400/year for a car I put maybe 100-300 miles a season on.

Even with multi-car discount, discount for having homeowner's through the same company, safe driver, AAA, etc...it's a significant amount of $$

PS: Nice ride

Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
I was hoping someone else would ask, but since it hasn't been mentioned I have to ask what car you want to insure. Knowing you, maybe a classic Mustang? And wow, why is your car insurance so high? My weekend cruiser (3rd car) only added $210 per 6 months to my premium so it was a no brainer. All 3 of my cars cost well under $2k/yr combined to insure.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Location probably has more to do with it. Up until 6 mos ago, I was living in the outskirts of Boston paying $1800/year on a 10 year old Infiniti. When I moved away from Boston, that dropped $800. Now on my new Taurus, I'm paying about $1200/year. My Girl's accord is about $800/year where we are, so about $2K for our two cars now. We both have perfect, clean records. I bet if I went outside 495 it would be even cheaper.

When I last registered my Mustang under my regular insurance though, it was an easy $2K/year. Probably be cheaper now, but still high for a car I take out for maybe 500 miles/year.

Plus, I am a bit concerned about getting true value for the car in case something happens. What I could sell it for, and what NADA/KBB say it's worth are two different numbers. Car is modified, with a number of performance parts in the suspension, brakes and engine. I know I could get agreed value policy, but when it was laid out how to achieve that, it seemed like a hassle. For instance, I won't have receipts for the late model brakes and wheels I installed on the car, or the hours of labor I spent, cleaning, polishing, painting and keeping the car immaculate. I installed late-model ABS on a car that never had it. When I called the two collector car insurance companies, they simply asked how much I valued the car at, and that was it.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
My thought is that the next time you attend a car show or meet that has cars similar to yours, just query the owners there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts