Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times

Advertisements

Hubbie works in Albany, NY. We like Great Barrington, but have seen it only as visitors. How is the area to live in? (every place looks good when you are there to visit) How is the commute to Albany during winter? How is the winter- is it worst than NY areas? Does the town roll up its sidewalks in winter? Any info, good or bad is welcome. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 02:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Its a nice little town year round, it's always thriving due to the NY tourists that are the town's lifeblood. In the summer its Tanglewood, in the fall its the leaf peepers and in the winter its the skiers - Butternut Basin ski area is right in town. It has a liberal, hippy-like vibe and to me it feels like a smaller more rural version of Northampton. For a small town it packs alot of action - live music, a brewery, a great theater (Mahaiwe), diverse restaurant options, and hiking, biking and skiing all right at your doorstep.

The main drawback is that some consider it to be overrun by tourists that have second homes in the area. It always a little odd living in a town where locals always feel outnumbered by visitor, and many of the business are there to cater to those visitors.

Here is a recent story about a dependency on tourism and how the bad ski season was hurting the town this year: http://theberkshireedge.com/life-in-...hout-tourists/

Old 07-28-2016, 07:08 AM

560 posts, read 750,975 times
Hope you like Tornadoes

Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
There have been two tornadoes in Berkshire County in the last 45 years. Not exactly a huge concern.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times
Thanks everyone. Keep the info coming.

I'm not too worried about tornadoes. NY also has the risk of tornadoes and other things. A few years ago there was a tornado that hit 1 house about 15 miles from me.

We've also had our share of floods (I wasn't affected). Google Schoharie Cty, or even more, Prattsville, NY. Hubbie and I went for a car ride one Sunday, and came upon Prattsville a week after Sandy. Houses were washed off the foundations- the whole town was washed away. Fema had headquarters there, and the fire dept was taking donations. Ppl were trying to salvage anything they could. It was heart wrenching.

I lived in California as a teen, and there was never an earthquake. The first year I moved to upstate NY (late 2000), NY had an earthquake strong enough to wake me up from a deep sleep.

We also can get blizzards and ice storms. Such is life.

When it comes to weather- no place is perfect.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM

560 posts, read 750,975 times
i was really just being snarky.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:51 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie works in Albany, NY. ... How is the commute to Albany during winter?
As much as I like Great Barrington, I would not recommend that anyone commute 50 miles to Albany. The Interstates might get plowed in the winter, but the drive up to them on Route 7 or 41 could be rough.

The City-Data profiles say that Albany is slightly warmer in the winter but has more snow.

I'd suggest sticking closer to Albany unless the husband has a very flexible schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts