Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:15 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Always loved Cape Cod, but I've only visited it a few times and am not that familiar with it. It's been a looooong time since I was there, so I am just wondering if it could be possible to buy a home on Cape Cod that isn't sky-high, over-the-top expensive. I would only want a small cottage. What towns are likely to have the least expensive home prices? Are there any areas where a house might go for less than $400k?

[also wondering why there are no sub-forums here for Cape Cod or The Berkshires]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:20 PM

60 posts, read 46,726 times
There's definitely homes under that price point. Yarmouth is one possibility. They will be easier to find on the inner cape.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hi all,
Always loved Cape Cod, but I've only visited it a few times and am not that familiar with it. It's been a looooong time since I was there, so I am just wondering if it could be possible to buy a home on Cape Cod that isn't sky-high, over-the-top expensive. I would only want a small cottage. What towns are likely to have the least expensive home prices? Are there any areas where a house might go for less than $400k?
We have some people that post here who are very plugged into the Cape. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
[also wondering why there are no sub-forums here for Cape Cod or The Berkshires]
There was a discussion about that a few months ago. I think the gist was that there isn't enough traffic on the discussions having to do with those areas (or maybe it was the search terms) to justify sub forums for those areas.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:13 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Cape Cod is great and in about a month the crowds will be clearing out. September is the best time.

I own my own RE company down here and yes you can buy a nice property for $400.000. On Cape location is really the key from town to town and proximity to water and beaches.

For example we have a listing for a 3 bedroom 1 bath cottage on the beach in Brewster for $950,000 and you can literally jump off your deck and land on the beach, what a view of the bay! Elsewhere in Brewster $400,000 will buy you a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home. In Orleans the same house will go for a bit more in say Harwich a bit less, in Chatham it's more. It's all about the location.

Another thing to keep in mind is the low property taxes we have on Cape except for Sandwich and Falmouth that is.
There is a lot to consider when choosing your Cape Dream.

Your budget will buy you a very nice cottage.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,811 times
Todd, while I agree regarding Sandwich taxes, Falmouth has the lowest tax rates on the Upper Cape. West of Chatham the only lower rate is Dennis.

But to OP's point, yes $400K can get you something quite lovely in most towns on the Cape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Cape Cod is great and in about a month the crowds will be clearing out. September is the best time.

I own my own RE company down here and yes you can buy a nice property for $400.000. On Cape location is really the key from town to town and proximity to water and beaches.

For example we have a listing for a 3 bedroom 1 bath cottage on the beach in Brewster for $950,000 and you can literally jump off your deck and land on the beach, what a view of the bay! Elsewhere in Brewster $400,000 will buy you a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home. In Orleans the same house will go for a bit more in say Harwich a bit less, in Chatham it's more. It's all about the location.

Another thing to keep in mind is the low property taxes we have on Cape except for Sandwich and Falmouth that is.
There is a lot to consider when choosing your Cape Dream.

Your budget will buy you a very nice cottage.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:40 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
You can find a home under $400K but be ready to pounce. According to friends and neighbors who are in the real estate business, homes under 4 don't sit on the market are often sold before they hit the market. There is a demand. I would suggest getting a feel for where you might want to buy and contacting an agent to get an idea of what is available.

Todd is correct, $400K can buy a nice home in some areas and a lease on a tool shed in others- even sometimes in the same town the disparity is amazing.

In regard to taxes: Falmouth is lower than Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Harwich, Mashpee, Yarmouth and of course, Sandwich that has the highest property taxes on Cape.

Barnstable $9.30
Bourne $10.17
Brewster $8.43
Chatham $5.02
Dennis $6.55
Eastham $7.44
Falmouth $8.37
Harwich $9.07
Mashpee $9.51
Orleans $6.46
Provincetown $7.80
Sandwich $14.47
Truro $6.77
Wellfleet $6.83
Yarmouth $9.98

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 08-03-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
You can find a home under $400K but be ready to pounce. According to friends and neighbors who are in the real estate business, homes under 4 don't sit on the market are often sold before they hit the market. There is a demand. I would suggest getting a feel for where you might want to buy and contacting an agent to get an idea of what is available.

Todd is correct, $400K can buy a nice home in some areas and a lease on a tool shed in others- even sometimes in the same town the disparity is amazing.

In regard to taxes: Falmouth is lower than Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Harwich, Mashpee, Yarmouth and of course, Sandwich that has the highest property taxes on Cape.

Barnstable $9.30
Bourne $10.17
Brewster $8.43
Chatham $5.02
Dennis $6.55
Eastham $7.44
Falmouth $8.37
Harwich $9.07
Mashpee $9.51
Orleans $6.46
Provincetown $7.80
Sandwich $14.47
Truro $6.77
Wellfleet $6.83
Yarmouth $9.98
That doesn't tell the whole story on what their tax burden would be. The rate might be lower, but the assessment might be higher; and vice versa. It is common for communities to brag about lowering their tax rate, all the while increasing your assessment and you pay the same if not more.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
That doesn't tell the whole story on what their tax burden would be. The rate might be lower, but the assessment might be higher; and vice versa. It is common for communities to brag about lowering their tax rate, all the while increasing your assessment and you pay the same if not more.
Of course it doesn't tell the WHOLE story.

But it's good, general information to have when starting the search.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Of course it doesn't tell the WHOLE story.

But it's good, general information to have when starting the search.
Sorry for trying to be more helpful. Just saying the tax rate means nothing without the assessed value.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
You are right Beachcomber, I don't know why Falmouth popped into my mind when I was thinking about a higher tax rate. I should have checked my own website LOL.

I do know that we often have buyers moving to the Cape from out of state and they will ask about the tax rate and they say "is that per month?" No for it is for the year. There are some towns in states where the tax rate is ridiculous on an average house but there will be other perks like lower or non existant taxes that seem to level everything out.

The best buyer is an educated one and there is a wealth of info online that can really help a buyer find the right property for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts