Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, Gardner is Central Mass., North Central to be more exact.
Yea I doubt many people from grander go west on rt 2. When I lived out that way it was still very Leominster, Fitchburg, and 128 centric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Well to be fair, there are literally people in Boston who think Framingham is in Western Mass. LOL.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:59 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well to be fair, there are literally people in Boston who think Framingham is in Western Mass. LOL.
LOL, that seems to be the attitude on this forum. WMass, to those of us who originally hail from the area, is the cities and towns up and down the Connecticut River Valley. Historically, those towns have always been bound together by our river. That means Hampden and Franklin counties. People who are not from the area originally tend to add the Berkshires (Berkshire country) into the mix. Literally, Berkshire Country is located in western Massachusetts, but colloquially to a WMass resident the Berkshires are not included in the area.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
LOL, that seems to be the attitude on this forum. WMass, to those of us who originally hail from the area, is the cities and towns up and down the Connecticut River Valley. Historically, those towns have always been bound together by our river. That means Hampden and Franklin counties. People who are not from the area originally tend to add the Berkshires (Berkshire country) into the mix. Literally, Berkshire Country is located in western Massachusetts, but colloquially to a WMass resident the Berkshires are not included in the area.
I asked about this when meeting with clients in Great Barrington and South Lee, and the two people I asked about it, both life long residents of the area, looked at my like I was nuts for saying I understand they don't consider themselves Western MA but the Berkshires. They were adamant they were Western MA.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Berkshire Country is located in western Massachusetts, but colloquially to a WMass resident the Berkshires are not included in the area.
You might want to people who actually hail from or live in the Berkshires on that.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Yeah anything in Worcester County is Central Mass. An area often lumped in with western Mass when you ask a geographically challenged Bostonian, but a very distinct region of the state all its own stretching approximately from 495 to the Quabbin. Western Mass is anything west of the Quabbin Reservoir, or more simply the four western counties (Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin, Berkshire). Arguable Western Mass towns in Worcester County include Athol (opinion is mixed), and Warren and Hardwick (Worcester County but with a 413 area code).

My earlier post was referring to things I love about western Mass, though projecting myself further west to when I used to live in Greenfield and Amherst. I'm infamous on this forum for being a horrible troll when it comes to my opinion on Central Mass, the northern slice in particular. But Gardner gets a pass, for the area it's civilized but N Central Mass civilized still comes with excellent mullet watching.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
You might want to [ask] people who actually hail from or live in the Berkshires on that.
I was thinking the same. I've known a few people hailing from the Berkshires and they all identify as being from "Western MA". Perhaps this is because they tend to be a moneyed crowd who can afford maps which clearly show that ... yes, the Berkshires are geographically in Western MA.

This said, I frequently am told by coworkers and friends that I too am a resident of western MA despite living in Sterling. I suppose from a population density standpoint, they might be correct.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
You might want to people who actually hail from or live in the Berkshires on that.
Nope, actually I don't have to ask people who come from the Berkshires. I know they think they live in WMass--and technically/geographically, they DO. To repeat: people from the CT River Valley call their own area WMass or western MA and do not consider the Berkshires to be part of it. It depends upon your point of view, just as Bostonians probably think of anything west of Framingham as WMass.

If you will go back and read what I said, you'd see.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Nope, actually I don't have to ask people who come from the Berkshires. I know they think they live in WMass--and technically/geographically, they DO. To repeat: people from the CT River Valley call their own area WMass or western MA and do not consider the Berkshires to be part of it.
My wife's extremely large extended family from Franklin County would disagree with your myopic way of thinking on this topic.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Look at any list of "you grew up win western ma" not very often does it mention the berkshires.

Also the new stations in Springfield call them selves western mass local news 22 and 40 but do not have bershire country news and I don't think are available in some parts of Berkshire county.

I played hockey growing up in the greater Springfield league which spanned from monson to Westfield and north to greenfield. Berkshire county teams played out of Albany

Last edited by Boston_Burbs; 08-22-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts