U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are 30ish, childless, and are self-employed in Sacramento, CA. We want a change of pace before we settle down on the West Coast to start a family, and we've always loved New England!

We're looking for a town with a good art/coffee/foodie scene, small cool shops, lots to do outdoors, and not too expensive for rent. Not too isolated but within an hour or two of a big city. Weather and schools are not a concern.

We like places like Williamstown and Concord MA and Hartford CT, but if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:29 PM

22,713 posts, read 21,774,672 times
We're looking for a town with a good art/coffee/foodie scene, small cool shops, lots to do outdoors, and not too expensive for rent. Not too isolated but within an hour or two of a big city. Weather and schools are not a concern.

This is the definition of Northampton in the Connecticut Valley of Western MA. The big city would be NYC but I don't know if it would be close enough for you. You'd be two hours from Boston by car.

On the North Shore of MA, probably the small artsy towns on Cape Ann (Gloucester, Essex, Rockport. Also Salem or Newburyport--both are more urban and have the arts, coffee, foodie thing going on. You might like Beverly too; it seems to be coming up in the world and is a bigger place if you don't like small towns. Beverly has a great renovated theater too.

In Connecticut, probably some of the towns down by the shore. Old Saybrook, Branford, Guilford, Essex. They are a train ride from NYC. If you get much closer to NYC than that, it's just as expensive as the Boston area and it's not New Englandy at all. If you like Hartford, you probably mean West Hartford, not Hartford itself, or the surrounding towns like Avon and Farmington. West Hartford is more built up and has more going on than those two towns and it would probably be a good match.

There are other places and I'm sure others will advise.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,618,942 times
It would be easier if you have a budget and desired apartment/house size. I second Newburyport, Portsmouth in New Hampshire is also a good option. I'd also take a look at Salem MA.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
It would be easier if you have a budget and desired apartment/house size. I second Newburyport, Portsmouth in New Hampshire is also a good option. I'd also take a look at Salem MA.
Ah, yes, we're wanting a two-bedroom apt/house under $1500/month.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

This is the definition of Northampton in the Connecticut Valley of Western MA. The big city would be NYC but I don't know if it would be close enough for you. You'd be two hours from Boston by car.

On the North Shore of MA, probably the small artsy towns on Cape Ann (Gloucester, Essex, Rockport. Also Salem or Newburyport--both are more urban and have the arts, coffee, foodie thing going on. You might like Beverly too; it seems to be coming up in the world and is a bigger place if you don't like small towns. Beverly has a great renovated theater too.

In Connecticut, probably some of the towns down by the shore. Old Saybrook, Branford, Guilford, Essex. They are a train ride from NYC. If you get much closer to NYC than that, it's just as expensive as the Boston area and it's not New Englandy at all. If you like Hartford, you probably mean West Hartford, not Hartford itself, or the surrounding towns like Avon and Farmington. West Hartford is more built up and has more going on than those two towns and it would probably be a good match.

There are other places and I'm sure others will advise.
Thank you so much in_newengland!! I'll look into those towns!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM

12,004 posts, read 13,130,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemtheweaver View Post
Ah, yes, we're wanting a two-bedroom apt/house under $1500/month.
For the most part, that's 1 BR apartment pricing here in MA...unless you expand your search a bit further west.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM

2,629 posts, read 1,834,868 times
I am not sure if it is too populated for you, but I would suggest you look at Providence, RI. It checks off a lot of your list.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,618,942 times
Also Portland Maine. It's a great mid sized city.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 AM

15,619 posts, read 27,883,690 times
I'd also vote for Portland. Far less congested, great food and coastal areas, very easy to get outta town. Also easy for short trips to Boston itself or Concord or "history" places. What a nice thing to decide to do at this time in your lives, best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or