U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our family is moving within MA and are looking for a little insight as to the major differences between these towns when it comes to schools, activities (for kids and also families), and lifestyles. We currently live close to this area of Massachusetts but are looking to make a change since the private school we have been sending our 7 year old to isn't an option any more and we need a much better school system than what we have now. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford a home in the $750k-$850k range and all four of these towns (Westborough, Southborough, Hopkinton, & Holliston) offer nice housing at these price points. So, aside from the statistics I can find online regarding the standardized test scores, etc I was looking for some other insight from folks who have more inside info to share. One aspect that is very important to us is that we live in a community that cares about education as a whole....a place where the parents and the schools work together to drive the children forward, not where the school is used as a day-care essentially. Also, if there is another area that I should consider please don't be shy. I have looked at the Sherborn/Dover/Medfield areas and feel like they are just a little too pricey for us to live comfortably....I want to be able to afford the extra activities and the lifestyle that the town offers as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and info!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 AM

22 posts, read 14,661 times
Can't go wrong with any of them schools wise, although I would place the first 3 stronger than Holliston. So I would base my decision on other factors like commute to work, access to shopping, etc.

Hopkinton does seem to be struggling with the influx of kids to the Legacy Farms development - I don't think the education itself is suffering. It's the office staff not able to handle paperwork with regards to accommodating kids on their preferred bus routes and stops, changes to schedule, etc., that is creating an unpleasant experience for the parents.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 AM

43 posts, read 33,809 times
We have lived in Holliston for 5 years and have been very happy here. Our oldest is starting first grade tomorrow and is in the French Immersion program. Our youngest is starting pre-k at the elementary school on Wednesday, just like our oldest did. We've been very happy with the elementary school and student services (our oldest is on an iep). Most parents I know here are very involved in their children's education and help in/with the schools as much as possible.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about things in town and I'll try to answer them. :-)

Old 08-29-2016, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,532 times
Thank you both for this info....I have heard good things about the immersion programs in Holliston however with the lottery there is only a chance of getting into one of them. As for the other factors, both my husband and I work from home, so commute isn't an issue. Recreation would be our #2, activities for the kids (7 yo and 1 yo) to keep everyone busy....a busy house is a happy house where I come from

Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 4,652 times
I would recommend Westborough. All the towns you mentioned have good schools, however Westborough has shops and stores. Living 15 minutes away from a real grocery store must get old for folks in Holliston, Southboro and Hopkinton.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 AM

149 posts, read 85,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravis View Post
I would recommend Westborough. All the towns you mentioned have good schools, however Westborough has shops and stores. Living 15 minutes away from a real grocery store must get old for folks in Holliston, Southboro and Hopkinton.
Hopkinton has a Price Chopper right in town...

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 AM

43 posts, read 33,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravis View Post
It takes me 3 minutes to get to Shaws in Ashland or 5 minutes to Market Basket in Ashland. It all depends on where in town you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts