Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 10,049 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I just scored a new gig in Chelmsford, MA and I need recommendations on where to live. From what I've seen, Chelmsford looks pretty boring. I would prefer a commute that is no more than 30 minutes.

I like to live in places with a good nightlife scene and where there are other young professionals. I considered Arlington, Cambridge and even Nashua, NH. Obviously, rent and crime rate are factors here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by newmasspro; 09-01-2016 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: To add some detail to title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
I don't think you're going to be happy unless you're in Cambridge or Boston. Arlington might work okay, depending on where you are, although really you're going to want the city. That's going to be more than 30 minutes, but the alternative is you constantly being stuck in the suburbs. For a young, single person who is new to the area, I think you're really going to want to be near where social events and networking events are held.

The closest area to Chelmsford that *might* give you some of what you want is Waltham. There are some grad students there and it's not crazy far from Boston for going in for events. It would be a little more than a half hour to Chelmsford, although I can't say for certain what the daily commute during rush hour would be.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't think you're going to be happy unless you're in Cambridge or Boston. Arlington might work okay, depending on where you are, although really you're going to want the city. That's going to be more than 30 minutes, but the alternative is you constantly being stuck in the suburbs. For a young, single person who is new to the area, I think you're really going to want to be near where social events and networking events are held.

The closest area to Chelmsford that *might* give you some of what you want is Waltham. There are some grad students there and it's not crazy far from Boston for going in for events. It would be a little more than a half hour to Chelmsford, although I can't say for certain what the daily commute during rush hour would be.
I currently work in Chelmsford, and am in temporary living (corporate housing) in Waltham at the moment. My commute from the Trapelo & Lexington area to Rt 129 & Rt 3 (workplace) is about 22 min in the morning, but closer to 30 min in the evening (both during peak commuting hours).

I haven't been here long enough to speak for the vibe, but I do see a fair number of young people in town and the Moody St area seems fairly lively.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:

It definitely seems like Cambridge and Boston are the most "happening" cities. I was also thinking maybe I could live in Chelmsford proper and just hang out in those areas on weekends or something. I did find a great apartment less than 2 miles from my new company.

I'll look at Waltham and see what my options are there. I don't want to over-complicate things. Is Lowell as dangerous as they say in the news?

Any thoughts on New Hampshire? Nashua for example. A resident somewhere on this forum described it as a "toilet"...

Old 09-02-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I currently work in Chelmsford, and am in temporary living (corporate housing) in Waltham at the moment. My commute from the Trapelo & Lexington area to Rt 129 & Rt 3 (workplace) is about 22 min in the morning, but closer to 30 min in the evening (both during peak commuting hours).

I haven't been here long enough to speak for the vibe, but I do see a fair number of young people in town and the Moody St area seems fairly lively.
That sounds interesting. Is there a good nightlife scene from what you've noticed?

Old 09-02-2016, 04:41 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
You don't mention a budget but Lowell and Waltham seem the most likely candidates.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You don't mention a budget but Lowell and Waltham seem the most likely candidates.
I would like my rent to be closer to $1200 or less. I was looking at Lowell as well. I just wonder if it's as dangerous and gang-infested as I seem to be seeing in different news articles...

I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Old 09-02-2016, 05:57 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmasspro View Post
It definitely seems like Cambridge and Boston are the most "happening" cities. I was also thinking maybe I could live in Chelmsford proper and just hang out in those areas on weekends or something. I did find a great apartment less than 2 miles from my new company.

I'll look at Waltham and see what my options are there. I don't want to over-complicate things. Is Lowell as dangerous as they say in the news?

Any thoughts on New Hampshire? Nashua for example. A resident somewhere on this forum described it as a "toilet"...
I think that if you decide you don't want to live in the city, or Waltham, for whatever reason, you may as well live in Chelmsford. It's a nice town, it's just that it's very suburban. A lot of people, including me, have done what you are contemplating. I hated it, and most of the people I knew hated it. It's really hard to live far out from the city, especially when you are young, childless and single, and didn't grow up nearby. It becomes a real drag on quality of life. (Of course, an awful commute is also a real drag on QOL, and believe me, I understand the temptation to want to live and work in the same town.)

No matter what I or anyone else on this board says, you might very well go ahead and get a place in Chelmsford -- many, many people have done that. On paper, it makes a lot of sense. When you're imagining it, yes, you can think that you'll have no commute (which, yes, is nice), and that you can just go into the city on weekends and you save all this money and hassle. But when it's reality, and something comes up on a weekday evening in the city that you want to do, and in order to make going even a possibility you have to move Heaven and Earth to do it, eventually you start passing on a lot of those events. If you're trying to make friends, it's not so easy when you're in the suburbs, because most people are already settled and aren't looking to make new friends, whereas you can find those people in the city. If you make friends in the city, you're the one travelling to see them, and it can get tough, especially to do anything last minute. So many people, who decide to do this, move into the city after their initial lease is up.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I think that if you decide you don't want to live in the city, or Waltham, for whatever reason, you may as well live in Chelmsford. It's a nice town, it's just that it's very suburban. A lot of people, including me, have done what you are contemplating. I hated it, and most of the people I knew hated it. It's really hard to live far out from the city, especially when you are young, childless and single, and didn't grow up nearby. It becomes a real drag on quality of life. (Of course, an awful commute is also a real drag on QOL, and believe me, I understand the temptation to want to live and work in the same town.)

No matter what I or anyone else on this board says, you might very well go ahead and get a place in Chelmsford -- many, many people have done that. On paper, it makes a lot of sense. When you're imagining it, yes, you can think that you'll have no commute (which, yes, is nice), and that you can just go into the city on weekends and you save all this money and hassle. But when it's reality, and something comes up on a weekday evening in the city that you want to do, and in order to make going even a possibility you have to move Heaven and Earth to do it, eventually you start passing on a lot of those events. If you're trying to make friends, it's not so easy when you're in the suburbs, because most people are already settled and aren't looking to make new friends, whereas you can find those people in the city. If you make friends in the city, you're the one travelling to see them, and it can get tough, especially to do anything last minute. So many people, who decide to do this, move into the city after their initial lease is up.
You make a lot of good points. I definitely want to make friends and be social. Being cooped up at home is the worst.

So it looks like I have to decide if I'm okay with:
-longer commute
-higher rent

Out of curiosity, do you know if Cambridge or Boston are good cities for running? I like to run by the waterfront when the weather will allow it. Do these cities have anything similar?

By the way, I really appreciate all your input!

Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmasspro View Post
That sounds interesting. Is there a good nightlife scene from what you've noticed?
LOL I'm the wrong person to ask! Married, middle-aged, empty-nester! But what I will say is that there are 2 universities in town (Brandeis, Bentley), good access to the Alewife T station in Cambridge (which opens up the city of Boston to easy roaming), and good dining all around (Waltham itself, but also Watertown & Lexington).

I am familiar with Chelmsford having driven around over the past 5 months during my assignment here. It does have a very sleepy character, mostly family-oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts