U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,774 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a mid-30s, single woman, no kids relocating to MA, from South Florida for work.

I'll be working in Ashland, but am looking for a more diverse and eclectic place to live. I want an area with good walkability, lots of restaurants & bistros, yoga studios, etc. I do own a car, and don't mind somewhat of a commute so that I can live closer to Boston, but am also cognizant of potential traffic issues.

I'm looking to rent, not buy. Open to both condos and single family homes- my monthly budget for rent is around $3700 (with some flexibility).

Any suggestions on towns/ neighborhoods/ buildings I should be looking (or avoiding)?

Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 4,286,654 times
That's a healthy budget for a rental. I would look at Natick, Wellesley and Needham.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:31 AM

2,556 posts, read 1,720,020 times
You can afford to live wherever you want. The question is how far are you willing to commute every day? Newton and Wellesley are great suggestions. I personally wouldn't live any closer to Boston if I had to go to Ashland every day.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:46 AM

5,964 posts, read 7,858,041 times
If it were me, I would rent in Brookline. Definitely a further commute to Ashland but a much more urban and walkable environment than Wellesley or Needham. Plus, better access to Boston. I'd also pick Newton over W & N because Newton too is more walkable although nowhere near as walkable as Brookline and also slightly better access to Boston than W & N.

This being said, Wellesley & Needham are great places to live. They're just very, very suburban. If you want someplace with more of a buzz of activity then you need to be a little closer to the city.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 PM

167 posts, read 92,894 times
I live in Wellesley, and love it here for the most part, but it is neither diverse nor eclectic.

What about somewhere in Cambridge with good Pike access? How is the reverse commute from Cambridge to Framingham on the Pike (and then into Ashland, for the poster)? Cambridge is diverse, eclectic, walkable, has good restaurants, yoga studios... I think it hits everything the author mentioned.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:38 AM

1,981 posts, read 4,395,729 times
I agree about the reco that you can live anywhere with that budget as long as OP can tolerate the drive. I recommend staying away from having to pass thru the RT 135/126 area. It's a parking lot there rush hour. The closest areas that are considered lively and eclectic would be certain parts of Newton, Brookline, Allston/Brighton. Anyway west of these are suburbs that may have a small downtown with a handful of restaurants.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 506 times
$3700, you can rent a 3-bed apartment in Moutain View, CA, just 3-minute walk to Google headquarter.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,858,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyil View Post
$3700, you can rent a 3-bed apartment in Moutain View, CA, just 3-minute walk to Google headquarter.
Huh?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 AM

311 posts, read 210,879 times
What a wonderful position to be in! I'm a bit envious lol...

Seriously, though, do you happen to work anywhere close to the Ashland Commuter Rail Stop? If so, this gives you fairly easy access to living in what I consider to be the best part of Boston - the Back Bay. You'd probably come close to maxing out your budget, but it would then definitely satisfy your criteria for an active and diverse cultural area.

It's an hour train ride, and the hours are sporadic (but much more frequent during typical commuting rush hours). It may sound long, but I'd rather ride the commuter rail for an hour than sit in traffic for 40 minutes. You can read a book, use your computer, etc., as opposed to being behind the wheel.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:47 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,853,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
I live in Wellesley, and love it here for the most part, but it is neither diverse nor eclectic.

What about somewhere in Cambridge with good Pike access? How is the reverse commute from Cambridge to Framingham on the Pike (and then into Ashland, for the poster)? Cambridge is diverse, eclectic, walkable, has good restaurants, yoga studios... I think it hits everything the author mentioned.
It's not too bad. I used to work in Worcester with a girl that lived in Watertown, she had no complaints.

Natick, Wellsley, Newton. 1a, 1b, 1c. Checks some other boxes (yoga, resturants, etc), but not the diversity/eclectic. However, IMHO normal New England can be fairly eclectic to someone born and raised in the South.

Framingham, Hudson 2a, 2b. Much cheaper, and not as nice as above. Much more diverse as a result.

Shrewsbury, West/North/Southborough. 3a, b, c, d. Nicer and more expensive than 2. Fairly diverse (more than 1, less than 2). Not nearly as much in amenities though. You also get the honor of paying for very nice schools you won't take advantage of.

Worcester, Marlborough. 4. Cheaper and not as nice as 2. Very diverse.

Ashland, Hopkinton. 5. Very good schools. Nice towns. Not diverse. Not much to do.

Milford's an option too. I don't much like it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts