Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 PM

24 posts, read 66,652 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to MA from Florida. We are a lesbian family with 6 children ages ranging from 14years-7months. Ideally we would like to live in an area with good schools, affordable housing (with some land) that is diverse. Finding secure employment is also a consideration. My partner is a home health administrator (RN) and I am and administrator in a human service organization (MSW.)
I have just started my research and would appreciate any suggestions. Also, how do taxes and insurance (property and vehicle) compare.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,550 times
Welcome! These may not be the most up-to-date property tax rates but this will give you a rough idea: http://www.mass.gov/Ador/docs/dls/TaxRates/taxrate.pdf (broken link)

For your jobs would you be affiliated with/hired by a hospital or medical center?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Greater Boston would be the logical choice as far as landing employment. Since it's a major metropolitan area, employment possibilities abound in both your fields. The Jobfind and Monster sites among others should have scores of job openings posted.
Your price range has to be known to us before we can throw out names of towns/neighborhoods that would have the better or best quality of life available. The comment about Northampton (which IMHO came across as dismissive and maybe "hatin'" since the writer had nothing to add) is true. But there's not much health care employment in that part of Massachusetts except in Holyoke and Springfield. Neither of those cities have much in the way of safe and stable neighborhoods, and forget about their schools. Draw an imaginary line from north to south across the state, just west of Worcester, and focus east of that line to the ocean.

Last edited by 2KidsforMe; 04-14-2008 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: removed origional post

Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
From a job standpoint, it seems like metro Boston is the answer.

From a lesbian-positive environment with housing that has land, Northampton is the answer.

For affordable housing with land anywhere near work, offhand I'd say that it unfortunately doesn't exist in Massachusetts. It's the affordable part that is the sticking point.

Maybe southern New Hampshire, maybe near a major medical center, say where Dartmouth College is (Hanover?) Not sure what you mean by "affordable," but there isn't much anywhere civilized here that could be called affordable. Many of us have been fighting that good fight for a long time.
Boston area is medical mecca, though, and there would be plenty of opportunities for work,
Jamaica Plain is a diverse patchwork city neighborhood that is very lesbian-friendly, but it's Boston public schools. With six kids, I doubt you'd want to move somewhere that requires private schooling, unless you were homeschooling.

Good luck in your search. There are certainly wonderful things about Boston area/New England, unfortunately, affordable living isn't one of them.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 AM

24 posts, read 66,652 times
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on housing price range. I would like to keep it around 400K if at all possible. Is this totally unrealistic? I will need a fairly large house (at least 4 bedrooms) with this tribe of kids!
Also, we are definately NOT homeschooling, so good schools are really important!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 AM

29 posts, read 189,373 times
400k for 4+ bedrooms might be a tough one, especially if you want more than 1.5 baths to keep all them kiddies clean (especially the closer you get to Boston). You might want to try North Andover, which has decent access to the commuter rail and pretty good housing rates. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 AM

65 posts, read 378,495 times
Not much in terms of land and the $400k might be kind of tight but Arlington is a fairly diverse town and has an active gay/lesbian parent association in some of the public schools. Lots of parks and library programs for kids, easy T or driving commute to Boston and Cambridge.

Good luck in your relocation!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM

194 posts, read 408,115 times
Worcester has 3 large hospitals & the surrounding towns have some nice houses & land in your price range. I would think in a town like Boylston you could get what you wanted house wise & be close to the city with good schools

I cannot comment on how diverse the area is as far as being lesbian friendly. I know in my neighborhood in Worcester a lesbian couple just moved away & I never heard from them or anyone else on any problems they had. From what I coul tell they were very friendly with & well liked by all the neighbors.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:47 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
That comment was condescending and embarrassing.
not meant to be. northampton is commonly referred to as Lesbianville U.S.A. no secret there.

northampton, easthampton, are both very lesbian friendly.

jamaica plains also a big lesbian community.

Last edited by carrot juice; 02-22-2008 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Lesbianville USA Is not meant to be mean spirited, the Northampton area has been called that for decades-and most locals have no problem with the label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts