Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

Short story summary: We had to sell our house a few years back to avoid a foreclosure. We were just getting back on our feet, but there was no way to play catch up and the bank wasn't budging. Where was George Bush's plan when we needed it? We sold to an investor who gave us a decent price: low market value but we had a lot of equity so we came out ok. We thought we would try to move out of area but that's looking more unlikely now as my oldest is finishing up his junior year of HS.

We're nearing the end of a one year lease. We don't like the location and some other particulars of the house, though the interior space is large--probably larger than what we need! It's an ok situation--not great but not terrible either.

This is a small town and there are few rentals. I thought about contacting homeowners who have had their houses listed for quite some time.

Any other suggestions? Moving to another town is not an option. We've twisted ourselves into pretzels to stay here for the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
NC, where are you? Kind of slippery, but could you move to a neighboring town, not tell the school district, and drive your son to school? It's been done
Also, most rentals never actually make it to "market". Have you spoken with a Realtor? I just had one that I rented through my email list. Never even advertised.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 PM

I need to get the word out to several realtors I know. That's how we found this place. Problem is, I don't want to let the cat out of the bag re: this place.

I'm worried about the ramifications of getting caught moving to another town. Next year I'll have 2 kids in HS and they both play sports. There are big MIAA penalties for that and it's not worth having the entire team disqualified because I wanted to be sneaky.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Understood on the MIAA!
Another thought. Send an email to your dist list telling them that you know someone looking for a rental. Do they know anyone who may have one becoming available? Ask them to forward.
This is how I found the tenant I mentioned earlier. Very unlikely source on my personal dist list but had a friend of a friend who is going to be a stellar tenant. 12 hours.
Someone knows someone who knows someone. Get your network going! You don't need to explain just yet that it's YOU who's in the market.
I assume you've also checked Craigslist. Also, try BostonBackPage (they don't only advertise Boston).
If I can think of any others, I'll let you know.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM

Thanks capecodcathy. I not only checked Craigslist, but I put an ad on there! Nothing.

I'll try the network thing.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

30 posts, read 129,380 times
Hi NC,

We feel your pain right now. In fact, we could almost be in competition except we have now decided we will look at other towns. At least we are not tied to one particular town because of schools just yet, so we have some options.

Good Luck

Andy

Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times
NC -

I see you're nearing the end of your lease. If you can't find anything advertised, can you enquire of parents of students in your children's schools? It seems like word of mouth might lead to something, like looking for a job... let everyone know. Also, a long shot perhaps... but what about bulletin boards - market, work, gym? Any social or religious organizations you belong to where you can mention you're looking for a rental? By the way, if you prefer to remain more anonymous in your community, when you post flyers, open & use a free email account just for this purpose.

I also second the realtor route. If time is running out, better explore all options. Best of luck with everything. Glad to hear your kids are nicely settled in their schools & you're taking such care not to disturb that...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Hey there NC. Just wanted to say that I hope you and your family are healing after the event of late. I've kept you in my thoughts and wish you well. Good luck with your search. You deserve the best.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Big Shadow: I thought that you might be looking to buy? The prices in town have come down considerably. We're still trying to get back on our feet after financial disaster and home ownership is in the not too distant future but neither one of us wants to buy in this market if we're not going to stay here for at least 3+ more years. And we'd still like to move south. It's just that one of us will stay behind at this rate and get the oldest through his senior year of HS. But nothing is materializing on the job front so it looks like we're here at least another year if not a bit more. Nevertheless, since you don't have the school and community ties, there are some great neighboring towns you might want to check out.

Puffle: It's been a very tough few weeks and we're all still in shock. There's a rental house story in there, too but it pales in comparison to recent events.

Thanks to all. We're going to continue searching, networking and hoping!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM

45 posts, read 248,638 times
In the small Mass town where I used to live, the guys who worked at the post office knew everyone, what they were doing, who was looking for tenants, who was looking for a rental...You might try hand-delivering some letters to your PO and chatting up some of the local postal workers.

Seriously! I know several people who found rentals this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: