Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 55,702 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice for a family of 2 white moms with 3 black kids looking for a friendly town with good schools between Providence and Boston? We love Providence but the public schools get worse as the kids get older if they can't test into the gifted programs (at Greene and Classical). And 1 of us may be commuting to Boston soon. So we're looking for diversity-friendly (if not actually diverse, which may be too much to ask) towns between the 2 cities. We're considering Sharon. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Realistic options are few and far between given that your household is doubly "diverse," sad to say in this century :-/ But that's only in a general sense, as common decency and open-mindedness know no geographic boundaries. Two examples I can share are: an interracial, unmarried, male-female couple in Chelmsford and an unmarried two-male couple (both Jewish) in North Reading. Neither of those towns have what you'd call sterling reputations for social tolerance, but these friends are delighted with how things turned out. Being of an outgoing nature helped their cause, methinks. The prevailing attitude of everyday White American suburbanites is (at least supposedly) "Keep your property looking good, share an interest in maintaining a nice community, and don't do anything to shock our sensibilities. Then be nice to us and we'll return the gesture."

The odds are more in favor of your not being perpetually subjected to glares and snubs and worse, though, if you put down your stakes in Sharon or Randolph or in the west, north, and east sections (as opposed to the center and south) of Brockton. The latter two places in particular are no strangers to cultural inclusiveness; the BLGT issue is a different matter, with Randolph and Sharon most likely to prove "tolerant." Sharon would be #1 where public schools are concerned, with budget cutbacks having caused damage in Brockton and Randolph.

Stoughton and Taunton would be more "outside" possibilities but still might call for being checked out. They're ethnically "mixed" to some extent and the schools are, well, OK.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
There's a lesbian family at one end of my street and an african american family on the other end. I live in Lakeville (house is for sale - everyone's probably tired of me pushing my house being for sale ) and have never heard of anyone having any problems. Heck you could be green and orange and your children purple as long as you keep your yard and house looking nice no one cares (at least no one on my street).

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM

47 posts, read 303,097 times
Have you checked out Franklin? It is not racially diverse but it is slowly changing I think and around the center of town you could surely find what you're looking for on a quater of an acre or slightly more. It is 30 min. from providence by car (no train) and there is a commuter rail stop right in the center of town that goes into South station - takes about 50 min.

Schools are above average, crime is low, and the town offers lots of things for families to do - pretty active community.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
There's a lesbian family at one end of my street and an african american family on the other end. I live in Lakeville (house is for sale - everyone's probably tired of me pushing my house being for sale ) and have never heard of anyone having any problems. Heck you could be green and orange and your children purple as long as you keep your yard and house looking nice no one cares (at least no one on my street).

Thanks for the advice, but my co-worker lives in Lakeville and I don't like anything I hear from her about bullying at the middle school and a completely inadequate response from school administrators.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemarie View Post
Have you checked out Franklin? It is not racially diverse but it is slowly changing I think and around the center of town you could surely find what you're looking for on a quater of an acre or slightly more. It is 30 min. from providence by car (no train) and there is a commuter rail stop right in the center of town that goes into South station - takes about 50 min.

Schools are above average, crime is low, and the town offers lots of things for families to do - pretty active community.

I like Franklin, but a 50 minute commute feels too long for me. Especially given the unreliability of the MBTA, where 50 minutes can easily become longer as trains break down, etc. Any other suggestions?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,142 times
Attleboro may be worth a try. Attleboro has an openly gay mayor and has a decent minority population. And it's minutes from Providence and right on an MBTA line. I'm not sure about the schools but I haven't heard they are terrible, and around here you usually here about it when they are. Most places are pretty open-minded in this area of New England, I can only think of one vocal community where I've heard other-wise, and that's Easton.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:59 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahk View Post
Thanks for the advice, but my co-worker lives in Lakeville and I don't like anything I hear from her about bullying at the middle school and a completely inadequate response from school administrators.
I'm sure there is a divergence in how particular administrators or districts generally handle these situations, but it's tough to rule out an entire town on the basis of a secondhand account from a colleague. Bullying is unfortunately the kind of thing that can happen anywhere and it's not always possible to avoid it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:55 PM

22 posts, read 64,680 times
a family so rich in diversity would do AWESOME in Northampton MA, too far away - too bad. best of luck with the search....

Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnative View Post
a family so rich in diversity would do AWESOME in Northampton MA, too far away - too bad. best of luck with the search....

I used to live there actually, pre-kids. But our work is elsewhere at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts