Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:31 PM

65 posts, read 70,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I saw a couple of topics, but I should have the ability to flex my hours earlier than other posters (as long as I get up).

Using Google Maps, it looks as if I leave at 5 AM, I should be there a little before 6 AM (and will miss a lot of traffic)... and then coming home it will be a little worse... if I leave at 2:30 PM, I'll be home by 4 PM.

What about in the winter? How much earlier should I leave in the morning?
If you have to be at work at 6:00 A.M. I would suggest leaving at 4:30 A.M. Don't trust Waze or any other GPS software as traffic on 93 can be very unpredictable. There have been times where I've left 2 hours before to work and have gotten there late due to backed traffic. During winter you might want to consider leaving around 3:30 A.M. or 4:00 A.M.

P.S.

Forgot to add: If you're close to 110/113 you should be fine leaving around 5:00 A.M. since 93 is right off the rotary there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 02:38 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,804,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacui View Post
If you have to be at work at 6:00 A.M. I would suggest leaving at 4:30 A.M. Don't trust Waze or any other GPS software as traffic on 93 can be very unpredictable. There have been times where I've left 2 hours before to work and have gotten there late due to backed traffic. During winter you might want to consider leaving around 3:30 A.M. or 4:00 A.M.

P.S.

Forgot to add: If you're close to 110/113 you should be fine leaving around 5:00 A.M. since 93 is right off the rotary there.
And as others pointed out, if you are leaving at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning in a storm the roads will not be treated. I can understand putting up with this as some kind of essential personnel job, but otherwise I think it is insane. I work for the electric company and it has taken me nearly 3 hours to do a slightly shorter commute during a bad storm. This was during a travel ban, so nobody on the road. It is almost worse when there isn't a travel ban since it gets incredibly congested and slow.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:11 PM

65 posts, read 70,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
And as others pointed out, if you are leaving at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning in a storm the roads will not be treated. I can understand putting up with this as some kind of essential personnel job, but otherwise I think it is insane. I work for the electric company and it has taken me nearly 3 hours to do a slightly shorter commute during a bad storm. This was during a travel ban, so nobody on the road. It is almost worse when there isn't a travel ban since it gets incredibly congested and slow.
Agreed. I was reiterating of his statement as him having to work even during bad snow storms. It's a sh*tshow during the winter and your employer wants you in the office no matter what (been there, done that). Nothing worse than having no garage and having to clean your car during that brutal winter.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:39 PM

671 posts, read 899,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I would be an essential employee. My hours start time is relatively flexible as long as it's between 6 AM and 8 AM. Would lean towards being there around 6 preferably to avoid as much traffic as possible.

I will definitely look further down 93, was thinking Dracut/Metheun as a worst case scenario.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 AM

82 posts, read 77,893 times
As long as you leave by 5 you should have no problem with traffic. My husband does it every day. East Dracut is nice and close to 93
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts