Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:46 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
No, you don't. He's a grandstanding buffoon who is clearly setting himself up for a higher public office. He wakes up every morning and picks the latest huffington post issue to beat to death on Facebook. What way is the wind blowing today Joe?

I agree with you though (for once), in that Somerville is a good compromise between the OP's two thoughts. But not because of some windbag. More that the city has a lot to offer to people who can't decide between yuppie urban playground and suburban, so instead settles for overly gentrified yuppie semi-urban playground. I would personally still pick Arlington even out of all 3, but I couldn't afford it.
You're right, you don't have to. But he is very popular among the newcomers and I tend to agree with him on virtually every issue but we don't need to get into politics. The people who dislike him the most seems to be Somerville natives who don't live here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseypeach View Post
Does anyone have any opinions of if this is a bubble that will burst or if they'll continue to increase or at least stay the same?
The delusion that afflicts many people is that your stocks, home values, etc will only go up. There is certainly a bit of a bubble, though it might not "burst" in the short-medium term, might just more or less level out.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:43 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Southie and Arlington are odd choices because they are so different. Somerville lands somewhere in the middle of those - somewhat urban but not in the city. But it's going to be more expensive than both of those especially if you want to be near the T. It seems like something really cool happens here every week:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...XAK/story.html

Somerville Wins $10 Million for a 'Super School'

And you gotta love a progressive mayor that makes these things happen: https://www.facebook.com/jcurtatone/?fref=ts
But also stuff like this unfortunately:

Joe Curtatone stands with

For that alone (and a voting bloc that apparently endorses it), there is no way I would live in that city.

He also stood behind those I-93 traffic disrupting heathens, if that should tell you something.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-16-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-16-2016, 11:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But also stuff like this unfortunately:

Joe Curtatone stands with
Very glad he did this.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Very glad he did this.
???

Old 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Very glad he did this.
Absolutely. Let's not pretend that we live in an ideal world where minorities are not at far greater risk of being discriminated against, jailed or killed for doing close to nothing. If your first instinct to black live matter is "that's anti-white because all lives matter", then you just don't get it.

The sign in front of St James church in Cambridge sums it up best

https://www.facebook.com/StJamesEpis...type=3&theater

Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Absolutely. Let's not pretend that we live in an ideal world where minorities are not at far greater risk of being discriminated against, jailed or killed for doing close to nothing. If your first instinct to black live matter is "that's anti-white because all lives matter", then you just don't get it.

The sign in front of St James church in Cambridge sums it up best

https://www.facebook.com/StJamesEpis...type=3&theater
I think most of the people saying "all lives matter" are just ignorant to what that really means, and ignorant that still, in this day and age, "all lives" do not include "black lives".

The ones that really burn my britches are the dopes that say stuff like "black lives matters" is a hate group, or "Curtatone is anti his own police by standing with that banner".

Old 09-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The ones that really burn my britches are the dopes that say stuff like "black lives matters" is a hate group, or "Curtatone is anti his own police by standing with that banner".
I am one of those "dopes" who say it is a hate group, and it IS a hate group. They are responsible for the deaths of at least 11 police officers since its formation, including the massacre of 5 officers in Dallas.

You know perfectly well that were they were not a hate group and were TRULY concerned with the lives of black Americans, they would be pushing for things such as better education in the inner city and better role models for black youth (and holding the bad ones accountable). Instead, they incite hate against the law enforcement community without calling for any personal responsibility.

For you and others suffering from the Ferguson Effect, don't let these fact get in the way:

5 Devastating Facts About Black-on-Black Crime - Breitbart

5 Statistics You Need To Know About Cops Killing Blacks | Daily Wire

FACT is, a black male is 40 times more likely to be killed by another black male than by a police officer (justified or unjustified).

"Black Lives Matter" has been MIA on this issue.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I am one of those "dopes" who say it is a hate group, and it IS a hate group. They are responsible for the deaths of at least 11 police officers since its formation, including the massacre of 5 officers in Dallas.
No they are not.

Love the people that cry "blacks need to take care of their own business" when people try to address the killing and other mistreatment of black people by law enforcement in this country. Ignorance beyond belief. Incredibly ignorance.

I'm guessing these are Trump voters mostly, perhaps Johnson. Oh well.

Quote:
You know perfectly well that were they were not a hate group and were TRULY concerned with the lives of black Americans, they would be pushing for things such as better education in the inner city and better role models for black youth (and holding the bad ones accountable). Instead, they incite hate against the law enforcement community without calling for any personal responsibility.
Personal responsibility is a basic tenet of the movement, as it is published.

And by the way, I, as a white person, has no business telling black lives matters what their tenets should be.

That's like guys telling women what they should care about relative to their feminist ideologies. That's something for the dopes to do.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-16-2016 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-16-2016, 05:15 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
How the hell did this thread end up on Somerville or Black Lives Matter? Can't anyone ever stay on the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts