Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post
Thank you again, I appreciate the warnings. I do have a good relationship with my employer. But I do understand that this setup comes off as being shady and that I am being (very) naive. Perhaps I am really being a bit naive in my enthusiasm and thinking that these things such as healthcare will work their selves out.
If the costs turns out to be more expensive, we will adjust my salary. If I get laid off I will by the way not be permitted to stay in the US on my visa (L1 - only for my specific company). Wife will be able to work on L2 visa (after getting EAD)

But once again, I hear very different numbers from various people, ranging from $200 a month to now $30k a year. Where does $30k come from? That would be $2.5k a month. Is that not exaggerating a bit much? Or is that based on the possibility that we could both become severely ill..?
let's say the plan costs $1,000/month and has a $5,000 deductible. That's about $17k out of pocket you'll be expected to fork over. If your employer isn't subsidizing your insurance but instead giving you the money it will have to be after tax, which means they will need to pay you more than the true cost to account for federal and state income tax which will be withheld from your paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 12,935 times
What..? You only pay the deductible when something really bad happens right? (FYI; In Netherlands - no health issues, never visit a doctor/dentist/whatever..)
I would aim for about a $2k deductible, which would of course cost more per month

Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
let's say the plan costs $1,000/month and has a $5,000 deductible. That's about $17k out of pocket you'll be expected to fork over. If your employer isn't subsidizing your insurance but instead giving you the money it will have to be after tax, which means they will need to pay you more than the true cost to account for federal and state income tax which will be withheld from your paycheck.
Or he just puts his payments in as a work expense reimbursement. Is there a rule against that?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 AM

349 posts, read 320,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post

But once again, I hear very different numbers from various people, ranging from $200 a month to now $30k a year. Where does $30k come from? That would be $2.5k a month. Is that not exaggerating a bit much? Or is that based on the possibility that we could both become severely ill..?
It seems like $1,000 a month total for 2 people is about what most people are paying in the private healthcare market. The $30k a year is an extreme example of someone who got sick with a serious illness, then looked for insurance.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:15 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
It seems like $1,000 a month total for 2 people is about what most people are paying in the private healthcare market. The $30k a year is an extreme example of someone who got sick with a serious illness, then looked for insurance.
The $30k figure was thrown out to account for taxes on the money and is not meant to be an exact figure.

The point is if his insurance costs $12k/year in premiums it would take more than $12k from his employer to cover the cost. Since most plans have deductibles you have to add in extra to cover that cost as well. Normally employer sponsored coverage is paid with pre tax dollars and you can contribute to an FSA or HSA pre tax - OP won't have any of that as an option.

Back to the original point, no I wouldn't scuttle the opportunity based on the insurance situation but I would expect to be compensated extra beyond the raw cost of insurance just for dealing with the extra hassle and expense.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:53 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If they'll cover the cost, how is he being "screwed"? I mean, sure, he has to do some legwork/paperwork, but it isn't that onerous if he wants this opportunity.
Seems Mickey Mouse for a professional employer to give people money to buy plans on the exchange. Sure a factory, small business, or retail. But a professional employer, situated in Cambridge should be better helping their employees.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Seems Mickey Mouse for a professional employer to give people money to buy plans on the exchange. Sure a factory, small business, or retail. But a professional employer, situated in Cambridge should be better helping their employees.
Sorry, I didn't think they were in Cambridge, MA. I thought it was a Euro outfit, and the OP would be getting things going on the ground here. Sounded like a start up type thing. They don't even have an office here at this time.

Last edited by timberline742; 10-07-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaG View Post
Hi there,

I moved to Boston from London almost 6 years ago, I'm not British though, I'm originally from a Mediterranean country.

I think it's worth the experience, although I personally did not enjoy Boston. It's really boring, the weather sucks and people are outright hostile.
I don't think the typical Dutch citizen will find people here "hostile". Sure if you are from a smaller city in the south where you are expected to talk to every stranger in the checkout aisle, this areas feels cold. But in reality people here are just more private. I found the Dutch to actually be quite similar to New Englanders when I lived there. They are also brutally honest to your face in a very matter-of-fact way, and i found the workplaces there had as much (or more) tension than in the US but that may have just been cultural differences.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:37 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sorry, I didn't think they were in Cambridge, MA. I thought it was a Euro outfit, and the OP would be getting things going on the ground here. Sounded like a start up type thing. They don't even have an office here at this time.
Per the original post, the company is just entering the US and doesn't even have an office yet. It's common for companies to send 1 exec and a couple of lower level folks to "start up" a US operation and it's very often done on a shoestring. They might work for a while in temporary office space while they work to set up the physical operation. Since it's a small company, they don't have to offer US health insurance for the ex-pats or the US employees they may hire.

For those coming over to work, it's a great opportunity for career development and to experience a different country. Money isn't always the most important factor. But one should always be aware of the living costs.

To the OP - rent will be appx $1500-2000 in the Somerville area. You really won't need a car and if you do you can use ZipCar and traditional rental agencies. You can bike using Hubway bike sharing. The cost of health insurance will depend on the plan. You can check here:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ind...alth-insurance

to get an idea of the costs.

I wish you the best of luck and enjoy this adventure.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If you are going to proffer advice like this maybe you should give more info so that the OP can avoid your horrific experience of moving to the US from Utopia.
The bread is better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts