Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiledRefugee View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! Much appreciated

Chicagoliz, no I mean that in a literal sense. I am a political refugee from the Middle East

Cloudship, I have been living in Orlando but I really wish to move to somewhere that is not so hot and humid. I know a few Middle Eastern languages and I am perfectly fluent in English. As for the living situation, I don't really have a preference as long as its quite comfortable.

In terms of moving to Boston - realistically - how much do you guys think I should have in savings so I can survive for at least a month? What is the job market like? I am not too picky in terms of jobs as long as I am paid!
If you are relocating anywhere without a job the general rule of thumb is to have 6-12 months of living expenses saved. I wouldn't move to the Boston area without at least 10k saved up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 12:08 AM

65 posts, read 70,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
If you are relocating anywhere without a job the general rule of thumb is to have 6-12 months of living expenses saved. I wouldn't move to the Boston area without at least 10k saved up
Yeah, $2000 to live in Boston is more than just taking a "leap of faith". I say work in FL for a few months and when you have enough money saved up move up to MA. Also, why not continue your college education while in Florida? They have some pretty decent colleges here and you should definitely take advantage of it while you're already here.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yup.

Also for jobs, look to hospitals or other places as translater if qualified.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:12 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
I couldnt imagine coming to Boston with just 2k even if it was just myself. It's a gutsy move for sure.

You hear if people moving to NYC from all over the world with very little money...i dont know how they do it. They must be lying lol. Probably getting money wired from family or they really must live on the street for a while.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I've done it, but with a college degree, and it was 20 years ago so things were cheaper and I did it moving to a cheaper COL location. I'm not one of those that believes you need a job lined up (unrealistic for most people) or tons of money (also unrealistic, especially at a young age), but moving to a place that is this expensive, no degree, and only 2k?

Sorry, have to advise against that.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 AM

He'd have to immediately find a job and not be picky about it.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Even then its rough, as a good chunk of that 2k will go to a room if there is any security deposit.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:24 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I couldnt imagine coming to Boston with just 2k even if it was just myself. It's a gutsy move for sure.

You hear if people moving to NYC from all over the world with very little money...i dont know how they do it. They must be lying lol. Probably getting money wired from family or they really must live on the street for a while.
I grew up in Boston but have been in LA for the past 10 years and people like OP show up in LA every day against advice of people on this forum. Many do end up homeless and the luckier ones end up moving back to wherever they came from to live in their parents house after a couple of months. And most of the people who think they can just pick up and move to a new city with very high cost of living are usually younger people who have no education or particular skills that will land them a job outside of retail/min wage

Old 10-14-2016, 05:55 PM

Yeah most people i know who relocate to other cities these days have a job lined up or they have a partner who has a job lined up. I think we've all heard those success stories of people who moved to nyc with just a few dollars in their pocket and after a few years struck it rich.

These days you typically need savings, a degree, and connections. Maybe if you are extremely good looking youll get lucky in the modleing/acting industry but it seems tough.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:35 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
I wouldn't move to any city without a job lined up or at minimum a year's worth of savings and a standby ticket to come home. Even moving to the least expensive cities in the country without adequate means is a risk because quite often the economy is bad there and jobs are hard to come by.

Remember what John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival had to say, "Oh Lord, Stuck in Lodi AGAIN!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts