U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-16-2016, 11:01 AM
 
4 posts, read 2,387 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I'm planning on making crowdsourced maps of MA's regions, so I was wondering what you'd consider the boundaries of:
Northeast Massachusetts ,including most or all of:
Merrimack Valley
North Shore

METRO Boston (not greater, as that would encompass a large swath of NE, SE and MetroWest)

Southeast Massachusetts (including the South Coast)
South Coast

South Shore
MetroWest

Central Mass.(including)
South County
Blackstone Valley
North County and/or Johnny Appleseed Trail

Western Mass, including:
Pioneer Valley
Berkshires and Mohawk Trail
Keep in mind that you don't need to do all of them, that the sub-regions (i.e. Pioneer Valley, South Coast etc.) I'm looking for opinions as well, and that the main five regions encompass more than just the region(s) in parentheses.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: New England
744 posts, read 359,050 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgsinger View Post
I'm planning on making crowdsourced maps of MA's regions, so I was wondering what you'd consider the boundaries of:
Northeast Massachusetts ,including most or all of:
Anywhere northeast of Route 2
Merrimack Valley
Any towns that border the Merrrimack River
North Shore
Anywhere North of Boston and east of Rt1 and I95.

METRO Boston (not greater, as that would encompass a large swath of NE, SE and MetroWest)
Roughly within I128

Southeast Massachusetts (including the South Coast)
South Coast

South Shore
MetroWest

Central Mass.(including)
South County
Blackstone Valley
North County and/or Johnny Appleseed Trail

Western Mass, including:
Pioneer Valley
Berkshires and Mohawk Trail
Keep in mind that you don't need to do all of them, that the sub-regions (i.e. Pioneer Valley, South Coast etc.) I'm looking for opinions as well, and that the main five regions encompass more than just the region(s) in parentheses.
Meh that's the only parts that I've lived in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM
 
3,409 posts, read 3,118,708 times
Reputation: 1851
South coast I consider the fall river and new bedford areas. Wareham might be iffy because that could be considered south coast/south shore and maybe the cape. I consider the cape anything beyond the bridge.

I would agree on 128 being the boston area of the metro.

Berkshires is berkshire county. Anything north adams can be northern. Pittsfield southern although it isn't really the most southern point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 04:05 PM
 
508 posts, read 452,301 times
Reputation: 596
Pioneer Valley clearly covers its three counties and nothing else (Franklin, Hampshire, Hampden).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: near a beach
13,923 posts, read 13,197,295 times
Reputation: 21412
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Pioneer Valley clearly covers its three counties and nothing else (Franklin, Hampshire, Hampden).
It usually refers to areas of Hampden & Hampshire Counties but I'm fine with including parts of Franklin Cty too. It's the valley of the Connecticut River.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 04:52 PM
 
314 posts, read 164,440 times
Reputation: 279
There's not even agreement on what the regions are, let alone what the borders are. Metro West, for instance, depends entirely upon where you live - in Boston it is anything beyond 495 up to Worcester, while if you live in Worcester it is within the 495 belt. That is probably why you can't find a definitive map of New England regions - they are all very subjective.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 06:21 PM
 
3,409 posts, read 3,118,708 times
Reputation: 1851
Technically speaking the knowledge corridor crosses into CT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartfo...%93Springfield

Metro areas tend to be connected more on proximity more than actual state and local lines. If you mention Franklin county and Greenfield it's hard to not try to lump in Brattleboro VT. Southern VT would be totally cut off if it didn't have access to Mass. Burlington is 2.5 hours away. Nashua is 1.5 hours away. The Berkshires are pretty much linked together and there's not much (no offense to anyone) further west in NY until you get to Albany and Troy which are 45 miles away.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 06:49 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,627 posts, read 3,663,703 times
Reputation: 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgsinger View Post
I'm planning on making crowdsourced maps of MA's regions, so I was wondering what you'd consider the boundaries of:
Northeast Massachusetts ,including most or all of:
Merrimack Valley
North Shore

METRO Boston (not greater, as that would encompass a large swath of NE, SE and MetroWest)

Southeast Massachusetts (including the South Coast)
South Coast

South Shore
MetroWest

Central Mass.(including)
South County
Blackstone Valley
North County and/or Johnny Appleseed Trail

Western Mass, including:
Pioneer Valley
Berkshires and Mohawk Trail
Keep in mind that you don't need to do all of them, that the sub-regions (i.e. Pioneer Valley, South Coast etc.) I'm looking for opinions as well, and that the main five regions encompass more than just the region(s) in parentheses.
I can tackle Central Mass for you.

South County should actually be called Southwest County: Draw the boundary surrounding Oxford, Webster, Dudley, Charlton, Sturbridge and Southbridge.

Blackstone Valley is easy. It's basically all the towns east of South County, but south of Worcester. The boundary would surround Douglas, Sutton, Millbury, Grafton, Northbridge, Uxbridge, Mendon, Upton, Millville, Blackstone and Hopedale.

Add West County: Leicester, Spencer, The Brookfields, and Warren. Some feel that Brimfield, Wales and Holland should be included because, although it's in the 413 area code and not part of Worcester County, they are part of the Tantasqua school district in Sturbridge. Warren is the only Worcester County town in the 413 area code.

North County: This is a little ambiguous. All of tthe towns in the Leominster/Fitchburg corridor would be included. It would go perhaps as far south as Sterling. Include Leominster, Fitchburg, Lunenberg, Westminster, Ashburnham, Princeton, Winchendon, Gardner, Hubbardston, Templeton, and Lancaster. Maybe include Townsend, Pepperell, and Ashby. Although it's not Worcester County, I would still include it as Central Mass.

There's been some talk of a "Quabbin" region being the ambiguous divide between Central and Western Mass.
Those could be Barre, New Braintree, Hardwick, Oakham, New Salem, Petersham, Ware, Orange, Royalston, and maybe Athol.

Westboro, Southboro, and Northboro are in limbo. They are in Worcester County but are considered part of Metro West. Many also consider it part of Central Mass as well.

Some towns immediately surrounding Worcester were left off. Maybe call it Greater Worcester? Towns like Auburn, Shrewsbury, West Boylston, Boylston, Rutland, Paxton, Holden, Clinton, and (oh yeah....) Worcester might be considered as such.

Maybe the three other posters on the Mass c-d forum with knowledge of anything west of 495 can post their input.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 07:45 AM
 
953 posts, read 589,398 times
Reputation: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post

North County: This is a little ambiguous. All of tthe towns in the Leominster/Fitchburg corridor would be included. It would go perhaps as far south as Sterling. Include Leominster, Fitchburg, Lunenberg, Westminster, Ashburnham, Princeton, Winchendon, Gardner, Hubbardston, Templeton, and Lancaster. Maybe include Townsend, Pepperell, and Ashby. Although it's not Worcester County, I would still include it as Central Mass.
Very ambiguous. Sterling and Lancaster tend to function as a cultural extensions of Bolton/Harvard; i.e., upper income commuter towns for 495/metro west with a pleasant veneer of rural living. Groton is similar in this regard (though distinctly more intellectual/progressive), with the bulk of the town residents tied to higher income jobs east.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 08:12 AM
 
314 posts, read 164,440 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I can tackle Central Mass for you.

South County should actually be called Southwest County: Draw the boundary surrounding Oxford, Webster, Dudley, Charlton, Sturbridge and Southbridge.

Blackstone Valley is easy. It's basically all the towns east of South County, but south of Worcester. The boundary would surround Douglas, Sutton, Millbury, Grafton, Northbridge, Uxbridge, Mendon, Upton, Millville, Blackstone and Hopedale.

Add West County: Leicester, Spencer, The Brookfields, and Warren. Some feel that Brimfield, Wales and Holland should be included because, although it's in the 413 area code and not part of Worcester County, they are part of the Tantasqua school district in Sturbridge. Warren is the only Worcester County town in the 413 area code.

North County: This is a little ambiguous. All of tthe towns in the Leominster/Fitchburg corridor would be included. It would go perhaps as far south as Sterling. Include Leominster, Fitchburg, Lunenberg, Westminster, Ashburnham, Princeton, Winchendon, Gardner, Hubbardston, Templeton, and Lancaster. Maybe include Townsend, Pepperell, and Ashby. Although it's not Worcester County, I would still include it as Central Mass.

There's been some talk of a "Quabbin" region being the ambiguous divide between Central and Western Mass.
Those could be Barre, New Braintree, Hardwick, Oakham, New Salem, Petersham, Ware, Orange, Royalston, and maybe Athol.

Westboro, Southboro, and Northboro are in limbo. They are in Worcester County but are considered part of Metro West. Many also consider it part of Central Mass as well.

Some towns immediately surrounding Worcester were left off. Maybe call it Greater Worcester? Towns like Auburn, Shrewsbury, West Boylston, Boylston, Rutland, Paxton, Holden, Clinton, and (oh yeah....) Worcester might be considered as such.

Maybe the three other posters on the Mass c-d forum with knowledge of anything west of 495 can post their input.
You must be from somewhere around Sutton. This just goes to show you how differently regions are perceived based solely upon the town you live in. I live in North Central.

For me, South County is anything south of Worcester, with the possible exceptions of Grafton, Auburn, Leicester, and maybe Millbury, maybe not. Blackstone Valley is a part of South County, essentially those towns along 146 or east. North County is more than one town north of Worcester, along or west of 190. North Central is the towns one or two north of Worcester. Most people around here forget that Westborough, Milford, Berlin, Hartford etc. are even part of Worcester county. And yes, towns are often part of two or more regions.

Maybe you will have better luck going by school districts. Those are probably much clearer.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top