Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Well get off your ass and find some yourself. More importantly just because its legal show ME evidence more people will drive using it. Pot is pretty easy to obtain so your turn.

Show me if its legal that more will drive under the influence.
Fatal Road Crashes Involving Marijuana Double After State Legalizes Drug | AAA NewsRoom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
How often did they check for marijuana in past years?

Read my original post and respond to all the arguments.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm pretty liberal but I have my reservations about legalizing marijuana. I'd like it to be available for medical use (I think there are certain varieties that are used for different conditions?) but there's no way anyone could keep it under control once it's available. It would be recreational.

I know it's not a "gateway drug." I know the effects are usually mild. The only caution that I have is that a long time ago when I smoked some, I got in the car and drove, thinking it had worn off. Well, guess what! The effects had only worn off temporarily and they came back while I was driving. I didn't even know where I was. Luckily, I was in a small town and I could pull over to the side of the road and wait it out. So I would need to know how common it is for the effects to come back when you think they've worn off. It's like adding another risk to driving--along with drinking and texting and whatever else-ing.
thats just you fam.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Quote:
I'm pretty liberal but I have my reservations about legalizing marijuana. I'd like it to be available for medical use (I think there are certain varieties that are used for different conditions?) but there's no way anyone could keep it under control once it's available. It would be recreational.

I know it's not a "gateway drug." I know the effects are usually mild. The only caution that I have is that a long time ago when I smoked some, I got in the car and drove, thinking it had worn off. Well, guess what! The effects had only worn off temporarily and they came back while I was driving. I didn't even know where I was. Luckily, I was in a small town and I could pull over to the side of the road and wait it out. So I would need to know how common it is for the effects to come back when you think they've worn off. It's like adding another risk to driving--along with drinking and texting and whatever else-ing.
Drunk driving in Colorado has decreased since they legalized pot.

Look its been tried in other states and it has been a net positive in my opinion.

Don't forget all the resources that will be freed up

Old 10-20-2016, 08:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
My wife and I have already voted "Yes" via our absentee ballots.

I believe that it's going to pass...easily.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
thats just you fam.
Could you clarify? I don't know what that means in response to my concern about using it and then driving under the influence. A person can think it has worn off but then the "drunk" feeling can come back. So it's like drunk driving. I've always been FOR legalization but am just wondering.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Could you clarify? I don't know what that means in response to my concern about using it and then driving under the influence. A person can think it has worn off but then the "drunk" feeling can come back. So it's like drunk driving. I've always been FOR legalization but am just wondering.
Like you....you got behind the wheel when you were still high but you thought you weren't and you were not a good high driver. Thats like thinking you're not buzzed so you drive and you get into an accident.

Thats like thinking you're not tired but you drive and get into an accident.

Thats like thinking your not distracted by the conversation and rowdiness of the passengers in the car but you get into an accident.

Thats like driving up I-95 in Florida and thinking youre not distracted by the countless obnoxious billboards but you get into an accident.

My point is cars are dangerous and there are lots of things that keep you from your optimal driving conditions. Weed being legal isn't going to create more irresponsible drivers than there already are. The people driving high now are the people who will be driving high after legalization. Its also been proven not to be as dangerous as driving drunk because you are more cautious.

It's okay to be cautious about it or have your wonders/concerns but personal anecdotal poor decisions are not the best measuring stick and certainly not a good grounds to keep it illegal. While its illegal its easier for kids to access, funnels money into larger more serious narcotic operations and stigmatizes people who dont need to be stigmatized. And yes I now understand based off you're second comment your voting for legalization.

I also believe the marijuana legal limit and roadside THC test are right around the corner maybe a simple prick of the finger by the officer the way they do for diabetes. Maybe they can even make a breathalyzer. Theres tremendous money to be made for who ever invents it by leasing his or her product out to police forces around the country and were in the education and pharmaceutical capital of America, just the place to create such a device.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Well get off your ass and find some yourself. More importantly just because its legal show ME evidence more people will drive using it. Pot is pretty easy to obtain so your turn.

Show me if its legal that more will drive under the influence.
Not how it works bud, you made the claim. And pretty clear that you've made up your mind either way. I've also never heard anyone make the claim or study that it is "much safer".

Last edited by wolfgang239; 10-20-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 06:06 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
I am torn on this as well. In Mass, it is not a criminal violation to be in possession of an ounce or less, so this has decreased the amount of arrests, etc. This is one of the strong positives of marijuana legalization, IMO, but we are already experiencing this due to decriminalization.
In my experience, people smoke more openly now. I smell marijuana while walking from work to the train on a daily basis. I saw two kids driving a convertible and toking away.
I was very much in favor of the medical marijuana legalization. My biggest hesitation with full legalization is that marijuana is still illegal federally and outside of state boundaries as well. This muddies the water. In addition- Will we see an increase in crime due to marijuana growing (particularly out of state dealers raiding small home grow operations)? Will the dealers really amp up the opioid pushing due to loss of revenue from selling marijuana?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I'm voting yes but have reservations.

It's already decriminalized here so all the discussion about chasing offenders down and parole officers spending time, etc. doesn't really apply very much. That said, I do think the continued illegal nature here and in areas where it isn't decriminalized affects minorities in a much more disproportionate way. So even if it is harmful to legalize in some respects, I choose that type of harmful over the violation of civil rights type of harmful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts