Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 AM

60 posts, read 46,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So you're saying everyplace serves overfished fish then, correct? So you're not actually criticizing particular restaurants and don't have any suggestions of a better place, correct?

Seems a little off topic.
Not exactly. Some places do advertise serving sustainable, but not aware of any in the area. It's not off topic if people consider serving sustainable preferable. Since this point was raised, someone here has now mentioned such a restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That just seems like way too much work.

So back to the original subject. I kinda like "Saki" on Rt1 in Saugus.
It's not, there's some simple lists about what to avoid for anyone interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yes, the aforementioned Cafe Sushi. Their omakase generally is based on varieties of sustainable fish. In fact you generally will not get even one tuna course in the meal. Their daily specials board is sourced similarly.
That's really interesting and it's great to hear other people are even aware of this. By having this discussion we've learned about more choices. You also can just avoid certain menu items at other restaurants.

Last edited by Sotsgreen; 11-02-2016 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: edited for additional quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:26 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yes, the aforementioned Cafe Sushi. Their omakase generally is based on varieties of sustainable fish. In fact you generally will not get even one tuna course in the meal. Their daily specials board is sourced similarly.
I understand full well the overfishing issues with (especially) bluefin tuna, but no tuna at all won't make a for a very good sushi outing in my book. I doubt I return if I left it up to the chef and no tuna was presented.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 AM

875 posts, read 663,478 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlWrT5P2VI

Old 11-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post

Well aware that clip is a joke stereotyping some consumers, and it is funny.

That video is talking about domestic livestock that are easy to reproduce, not over fishing that is more difficult to regulate and reverse.

Last edited by Sotsgreen; 11-02-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsgreen View Post
That video is talking about domestic livestock that are easy to reproduce, not overfishing that is more difficult to regulate and reverse.
Woosh

Old 11-02-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Woosh
Saw that clip years ago. Yes it's a joke stereotyping people who are concerned about what they order.

Sushi eaters pushing Pacific bluefin tuna to brink of extinction - CBS News
Should Pacific Bluefin Tuna Be Listed As An Endangered Species? : The Salt : NPR

Anyway, glad someone recommended an alternative restaurant here. That doesn't mean you can't go to the other restaurants, but just knowing a few menu items to avoid can be very helpful.

Last edited by Sotsgreen; 11-02-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 PM

You're still not getting it. That's ok.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsgreen View Post
That's really interesting and it's great to hear other people are even aware of this. By having this discussion we've learned about more choices. You also just avoid certain menu items at other restaurants.
I saw a documentary about sushi on Netflix or maybe Amazon Prime a few months ago that raised the issue. I don't eat sushi regularly and the rolls with tuna are really the only ones I like. So, I tend to order what I want as I feel my minimal sushi consumption is unlikely to make a serious impact.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You're still not getting it. That's ok.
It's stereotyping people that are concerned about what they order. It's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
So, I tend to order what I want as I feel my minimal sushi consumption is unlikely to make a serious impact.
That's understandable why people do that, but when millions do that it's still a lot. Not all kinds of tuna is listed as over fished right now, but more could be added.

Last edited by Sotsgreen; 11-02-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 01:35 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
So, I tend to order what I want as I feel my minimal sushi consumption is unlikely to make a serious impact.

I just order what I want because I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts