Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:21 PM

417 posts, read 729,362 times

Advertisements

I am very happy to see this trend because I do not like this trend I have been seeing of offices moving OUT of downtown. I did turn down a position partially based on office location. They had recently moved from the financial district elsewhere. Location is a big selling point for me. I would like to either drive under 30 min or take the commuter rail to south station or back bay. The extra switching to the subway is a HUGE turn off mainly due to needing to catch a particular train to get home for daycare pick up/etc.

The Reebok example is a bad one in this case for me because Canton is close by and I occasionally check their Finance roles. Too bad. Overall though, I put a pretty big price tag on location. I need a much bigger salary to drive 1.5 hrs a day in traffic to some suburban office park or take the commuter rail and then other forms of transportation after. I will be happy to see this trend continue. At least after you commute into Boston... you're in Boston! Thanks for posting this article/topic !

Last edited by SpringMom3; 11-04-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 07:26 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,299,873 times
I think it sucks that businesses feel they need to all be in boston or cambridge. It absolutelynis catering to younger high privileged people who already live or work in the city. Sadly older less fortunate people are at a disadvantage...particularly people who have kids too but companies dont give a damn. They just want young people who are local and willing to work hard. Sure there will be people who take the jobs and do an awful commute from medway or braintree or something. I see it all the time at my company. Most people are in their 20s and can walk there. It's all about walkability but not eveyone wants to pay the rent to walk to work or jump on the T and go one stop to work. It doesnt work that way for eveyone.

I could go on and on.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:28 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,299,873 times
There needs to be places to work besides boston and cambridge.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 AM

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I also think companies now need to allow some level of working from home. 2 or 3 days at home make even a bad commute bearable. So sure, have a central spot in boston, but allow for some working from home and your employees will be thrilled. To me, that's the perfect formula!

Old 11-05-2016, 11:59 AM

8,380 posts, read 4,438,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I guess that was my question. Do companies like Reebok and and Converse fit into this subset/culture? And does their current workforce reflect this, or is it more who they are aspiring to represent/or hire in the future?

As for the stagnant middle and lower class, well it depends on the field as well. Some more traditional occupations are having just as hard a time filling positions as software development, etc.
I can say first hand that Converse is very much dominated by millennials and gears its workplace toward them. The move from North Andover to Boston dovetails with this strategy. The new HQ facility at North Station offers what the millennials want. It is a downtown setting next to a commuting hub with a high tech building in a converted warehouse where the first floor common area is called the union (think college) and contains a free all day barista bar, pool table, tv's, and fooseball. It has a fully equipped gym, music recording studio, and artwork throughout. The building, like the footwear it sells, is geared to the younger crowd.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Wonder if their issue was that their work force leaned completely away from millenials and they were trying to balance it out or if this is some form of age discrimination.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
I should have mentioned in my previous post that I also think companies now need to allow some level of working from home. 2 or 3 days at home make even a bad commute bearable. So sure, have a central spot in boston, but allow for some working from home and your employees will be thrilled. To me, that's the perfect formula!
You would be amazed how many companies stubbornly refuse to allow work from home of any kind.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I can say first hand that Converse is very much dominated by millennials and gears its workplace toward them. The move from North Andover to Boston dovetails with this strategy. The new HQ facility at North Station offers what the millennials want. It is a downtown setting next to a commuting hub with a high tech building in a converted warehouse where the first floor common area is called the union (think college) and contains a free all day barista bar, pool table, tv's, and fooseball. It has a fully equipped gym, music recording studio, and artwork throughout. The building, like the footwear it sells, is geared to the younger crowd.
A friend of mine just had his company (he's one of the founders) purchased by Google. The office was here in Needham, but they moved everyone to Kendall. He says the commute is awful but the building is so awesome he never goes outside during the day.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You would be amazed how many companies stubbornly refuse to allow work from home of any kind.
Unfortunately I'm not amazed. That is the ridiculous reality. Companies are always so hesitant to give their employees even something that makes a world of difference for them and costs the company nothing. Working from home, flex schedules, 4 day work weeks, coming in a few hrs early and leaving a few hours early. Pretty much anything that costs the company nothing and is easily worked around, most companies still scoff at. Total bs and in today's world with great technology and even face time capabilities from remote locations, 2 days at home would make no difference for 90%+ companies.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
A friend of mine just had his company (he's one of the founders) purchased by Google. The office was here in Needham, but they moved everyone to Kendall. He says the commute is awful but the building is so awesome he never goes outside during the day.
I've been inside Reebok in Canton, rather remarkable office building too. I'm curious who or what will be moving in once Reebok is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts