Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:11 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times

Advertisements

When Tom Brady retires I will probably stop watches except for the playoffs.

It just isn't that interesting anymore, even with all the betting we do at work.

Part of the reason is the players are so unlikable, yes I mean Kapernecki and some of the others who are into crime.

And yes I understand that those bad apples are a small minority, but I guess at this point for whatever reason the players come off as out of touch duches. This detracts from the game.

But I love Brady and always will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:50 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
I used to go to football watching parties from about 2002-2005/2006ish. People moved away or had other jobs etc.

To be honest with the exceptions of the super bowl (which I watch for commericals) I could care less.

Why?

I'm in my mid 30's. When I grew up Boston teams were pretty much loser teams. In '86 we lost the world series and the super bowl. Sure the celtics won but still. We had a chance in '96 but that didn't turn out well.

Starting in 2001 we kept winning. Superbowls, world series, basketball and even the stanley cup. Sadly the revs still haven't :-<

Boston teams are no longer underdogs. The reason why I watched wasn't so much because I liked the team. I just wanted to see them actual win. Well they have.... It's sort of like watching a place turnaround acting as if it STILL needs to turn around. After we landed a man on the moon did we watch other space launches?

I have family in Cincinnati and you kinda get that early Pats feeling with the Bengals. Something is there but not quite.

Games just gradually bored me. If everything is on demand why should I make an appointment for something on a given night live? In the time for just one football game I could probably watch half a tv series. NFL games are three hours but the actual time on the clock is one. Factor in a half hour break and commercials and frankly it balloons up to those three hours.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,978 times
It's the Brady Revenge Tour, I'm watching the Patriots win every weekend!

Show some Boston pride.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
It's the Brady Revenge Tour, I'm watching the Patriots win every weekend!

Show some Boston pride.
you must have missed this week's game

Old 11-19-2016, 08:42 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
My viewing has not changed. I will always watch every Patriots game and then watch the other games too - Monday Night, Sunday Night and Thursday Night.

I do however LOVE the Redzone channel. Even if I did not play fantasy football, I would still watch Redzone. You get to see action from every game and not have to deal with commercials. I also like when they show bonus coverage of games even when one of the teams is not in the redzone.
Yup, Redzone is only way to watch, mainly because no commercials. I find the NFL games are now quite slow and have way too many commercials. I do catch some of the Patriots games, but I enjoy college football on Saturday a lot more.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:29 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I watch/follow my college team much more, but, years ago I had an epiphany, well, when I got a smartphone, what the heck am I doing sitting in a bar at 1pm, or 3:30 pm, on a Sat/Sun during the nicest weather of the year to be outdoors. No thanks .

Old 11-21-2016, 05:39 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
We've all heard by now how national NFL TV ratings are off over 20%-25% (?) most weeks just from last year, and it's not just the first few games of the season.

Yes, I've heard about the elections dampening interest, likely more than past elections perhaps, but are you, your friends, family and co-workers watching fewer Patriots games and/or fewer neutral site games on TV?

I haven't seen the Patriots local TV ratings this year. Anybody know of the general ratings? I know it's hard to find ratings for other sports unless opening game, mid year or final season or playoffs. But the NFL has so few games that I'd think every team has a published rating for each game?

I don't care for NFL or college football, but am still curious how locals are treating the Pats and the NFL.
?

If you don't care for the Pats or NFL football why do you ask except to pick a fight with Patriot fans?.Close the thread.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think it's standard cable only. I don't believe the numbers of OTA antenna's and other methods are counted.
It's who ever has a Nielsen box or watches online through official methods. Doesn't matter how the signal is delivered, just that that box knows what you are watching.

My NFL viewing has held steady since about when ESPN got MNF. I might watch a game Sunday, and I'll probably watch the recap show at 7 on NBC, but that's it. I'll only watch another game if the Lions (grew up in metro Detroit, but went to college with Brady[same years, miles apart]) are playing, and they never get primetime games.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:58 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Everything I've read lately regarding viewership being down has one exception - The Patriots. I think SNF with Seattle was the highest rating in many years, and the Pats are the one team from having the rating go down even more. I barely watch other games anymore.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Everything I've read lately regarding viewership being down has one exception - The Patriots. I think SNF with Seattle was the highest rating in many years, and the Pats are the one team from having the rating go down even more. I barely watch other games anymore.
Yes,that game and the same-day Dallas-Pittsburgh game showed much higher ratings.

Media critics wondered if it was all due to the election over, or if it's only because of two enticing games in one day...or if interest is simply up.

Seattle had a huge local rating of about 50 for that game according to a cbsboston article. Boston was about 33, then Providence and Portland (Maine, I guess?) at around a 25 each. Next was Albuquerque at about 20, if I recall. I know, nobody but me cares about ratings, especially since Seattle blitzed Boston.

For comparison, game 7 of the Wold Series drew a 50 rating in Chicago and about 49 in Cleveland. Yes, I'm into ratings. A rating point represents the percentage of the households with TVs tuned in. A share is the percentage of people watching TV in that market watching that channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts