Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
Guns and shooting ranges are fine. Middle of the road is fine. But where we are now is 50/50 liberal/conservative, and that's the most liberal it gets in this state. At least around here. I'm surrounded by red counties, and my suburb is predominantly red. Pretty sure all my neighbors voted Trump. A mix would be much better.

Then that's what you'll find here. A good mix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but the average here is 86K. So he makes well over average. if he makes well over average there (which is 103K), maybe?? He makes about 15K over average here, so that would be 118K maybe there?? (still researching this).

We live about 10 miles from Boston (along I95) and my wife and I make an income of about $180--185K/year as a family of 4 with two toddlers. We do the typical retirement contributions as well as 529 plans and general savings and our mortgage is around $2K/month (which is pretty modest for the area) and we both drive cars with relatively cheap (under $300/month) car payments. Still, things can get tight, and our day care costs are actually pretty decent (under $12k/year). We are pretty modest, and try to be frugal when we can, avoid eating out, do not buy new electronics all the time (our main TV is 10 years old, and I pushed an Iphone 4S as long as I possibly could) but we do have a few small luxuries. If you chopped our household income down to $120K, I'd probably get nervous and we'd have to cut back on a lot of things.

$118K for a family of 6? What sort of expectations of lifestyle do you have if you were to move here?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:16 AM

425 posts, read 647,230 times
$120K basically means $5K/month after taxes/ benefits so I agree with your rough math of wanting to be in the $200K range for a house. You can do that but you probably have to go out ~1.5 hrs from Boston. The good news is many tech jobs simply aren't in "boston" but the surrounding burbs so it's possible the commute might be lower.

But it's still tight...I actually think maybe you should shoot for a townhome as maintenance on a home in the area with the harsh winters and older homes will lead to LOTS of surprises not to mention high utilities.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 AM

63 posts, read 82,060 times
I'm not a averse to a townhome, just concerned about having room for 6 people and 2 big dogs

Maybe that's still doable, but honestly, I'm thinking MA just won't work for us. We don't have car payments, but we do have student loan debt. It's not not a doable situation it sounds like, for single income families. And that's not really a negotiable for us.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
It's not not a doable situation it sounds like, for single income families. And that's not really a negotiable for us.

Most families around here are dual income. Just how it is with living in this area.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:17 PM

63 posts, read 82,060 times
That's what I'm realizing. Looking now at some other places.

Thank you all.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:53 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
That's what I'm realizing. Looking now at some other places.

Thank you all.
That is a wise decision.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 7,403 times
My husband is CISSP and we relocated here from FL earlier this year. As other posters stated, most families here are dual-income. I make about the same as my husband. We hire a nanny to help with the kids as we find the schools are excellent here. I honestly do not think it is realistic to move to an area here on a single CISSP budget because you would have to live far out to find anything reasonable within your budget. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2016, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,104 times
The average home in Eastern MA is about $500K. You would be better off for him to get a job, come ahead, rent an apt. and start his job. Then you could select a town in the area. Commuting will take over an hour in most locations, and, if he gets a job in Cambridge or Boston, a car commute may not be an option.

There is a Catholic Church in every town and city in MA. Most built by immigrants, some are quite stately and have active parishioners.

Massachusetts is the liberalism of liberal states. There are, we found out, some pockets of anti-liberals, easy to avoid especially if you review last election results. Our Republicans would be considered liberals, or at least moderates. We will retain "Romney-care" foreunner to AXA, gay marriage is legal, medical marijuana is legal, recreational marijuana was voted in. Many places are sanctuary cities where police and officials do not turn in immigrants to ICE. This is a right-to-choose state, Planned Parenthood clinics are relatively unmolested.

So other than finances, you have to think about winter....have you ever lived in a place that gets lots of snow? We had over 100" of snow two years ago. Our snow does not melt immediately, sticks around til at least March. It has to be shoveled, snow blown, plowed. Everyone needs cold weather gear-boots, parkas, snow pants, long underwear, hats, gloves. Kids need extra if they are going to play outside. If you do not ski, snow shoe, etc., it's a long winter of indoor hibernation. There are days when we have Nor'easter storms or blizzards when nothing moves until roads and train tracks are plowed out. If the power goes out, and it does, sometimes for days, you need a fireplace, wood, flashlights, etc. You prepare for a snowstorm here like you would for a hurricane there, stock up on groceries, gas up the car, etc.

I hate snow, having lived here all my life, I hate it more each year. I don't want you to come here unaware. I would love to move south, but frankly don'twant to live where my left of liberal views would not be appreciated.
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
The IT Cybersecurity jobs are heavily concentrated in the Burlington/Billerica/Bedford/Lexington area, northwest of Boston. You need to start there and continue along the route 3 trail until you find a town that matches your budget. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts