Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post

Like the country as a whole, Middle Mass flyover country is where the disenfranchised and anti intellectual white working classes are concentrated.
Spend some time in southeastern MA and report back - it will make you appreciate the RINOs here in central MA. I find the towns along rt. 24 still suffer from the centuries old tension between Irish Catholics and AA's. This continued racial tension has allowed "alt right" thinking to fester in the area. Sterling, despite leaning Trump, feels like an educated and progressive wonderland compared to West Bridgewater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 PM

652 posts, read 749,584 times
I feel like politics should not be something that stops mature adults from being neighborly. Can't you just both agree to disagree and ***** about something mutual like the crappy New England weather?

Old 11-17-2016, 03:26 AM

513 posts, read 646,494 times
There are several towns on the North Shore that may fit your needs. Hamilton, Wenham, Newbury and West Newbury come to mind. Even parts of Ipswich and Topsfield will fit your needs. They are not traditionally rural towns, as they are so close to Boston and metro areas like Beverly and Salem. However, each town has larger lots, open space, and farms. The bonus is that they are near or on commuter rail lines and close to highways and shopping and some have developed downtowns.
I will caveat that some of these towns will vote republican, though they have a majority of independent voters. In my book, all are socially progressive, however, and foster a great community feel.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
I feel like politics should not be something that stops mature adults from being neighborly. Can't you just both agree to disagree and ***** about something mutual like the crappy New England weather?
Excellent advice.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:23 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Westport and Dartmouth might fit on the south coast.
Westport was just about 50%/50% Trump/Clinton. Dartmouth was about 60% Clinton / 40% Trump.

I think you'll find plenty of older "The world is going to hell" Trump voters and plenty of Bernie bumper stickers in pretty much any of the more rural places in Massachusetts and everyone co-exists. It's not like flyover country or the south where everyone belongs to the same church and everyone has the same politics.

Westport is a very good suggestion for someone looking for rural but not particularly far from things. I see 18 acres on Adamsville Road near the RI line for $229K. I imagine much of it is too wet to build but you're rural/semi-suburban but still only a mile from Lee's Market and less than 15 minutes to all the big box stores and 30 minutes from downtown Providence. Westport has a sub-$10 per thousand property tax rate which is much better than most rural towns in Western Massachusetts. You also have the beach/boat/kayak benefit. The ocean moderates the climate so it's not as hot in the summer and not as cold/snowy in the winter. You plant tomatoes the first week of May, not Memorial Day.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:48 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,308 times
Good grief! You're in Mass, how much more liberal can it get.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 15,286 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone. When I say liberal, I guess I should have clarified by saying liberal ideals socially, and would feel most comfortable around like-minded folks. I understand the plight of the self-employed, and thus their decision to stand fiscally conservative. Some of my very dear friends voted Republican because they own small businesses, yet we share similar social values. While in Massachusetts, there are plenty of conservative pockets, and we happen to live in one of them.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:00 PM

1,180 posts, read 777,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Good point.

They surely aren't taking it well. They can't admit how bad they were, and how they blew it. (Get it? BLUE it? Ha.)

I'm here all week, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansaway33 View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. When I say liberal, I guess I should have clarified by saying liberal ideals socially, and would feel most comfortable around like-minded folks. I understand the plight of the self-employed, and thus their decision to stand fiscally conservative. Some of my very dear friends voted Republican because they own small businesses, yet we share similar social values. While in Massachusetts, there are plenty of conservative pockets, and we happen to live in one of them.
I pretty much agree with this. Republicans still hold the pro-Business, pro-Constitution votes.. It's when they get into legislating religion that I have people that will not even speak to me because I "support Trump." I mean.. Mind you, these are the either truly or wanna-be "I did it because all my friends are doing it, no other reason is needed" bra-burning flag-burning militant breast feeder "Feminists," ya, so maybe I'm not missing too much.. But.. Still.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:45 PM

23,525 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Yeah, really...

Old 11-17-2016, 02:49 PM

23,525 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post

I pretty much agree with this. Republicans still hold the pro-Business, pro-Constitution votes.. It's when they get into legislating religion that I have people that will not even speak to me because I "support Trump." I mean.. Mind you, these are the either truly or wanna-be "I did it because all my friends are doing it, no other reason is needed" bra-burning flag-burning militant breast feeder "Feminists," ya, so maybe I'm not missing too much.. But.. Still.
Are you sure it's not the Democrats legislating their dogma on others? Hillary admitted herself that she would seek a SCJ based on their willingness to mold the Constitution in accordance with modern society (whatever that is supposed to mean).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts