Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 PM

162 posts, read 209,355 times

Advertisements

If schools were NOT a factor, which would you choose, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 PM

317 posts, read 331,600 times
Is money a factor? More for your money in Southborough

Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 AM

187 posts, read 217,278 times
Sherborn, not as built up, no ugly/traffic filled Rt 9...I prefer rural or rural/suburban to suburban sprawl (which aesthetically I cannot stand).

Old 11-30-2016, 02:33 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
I'd pick Sherborn because it's a classic New England town. Southboro has Rt-9, the Mass Pike, and the commuter rail all going through town. The housing stock is also very diverse which is great for affordability, but detracts from the town's beauty a little bit. The affluent neighborhoods are tucked away in random cul de sacs while most of the affordable split levels are within earshot of the commuter rail. Some homes are well-kept while others are not. Overall Southboro doesn't flow very well which is one of the reasons I decided not to buy there after viewing over a dozen homes and got a feel for the town.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I'd pick Sherborn because it's a classic New England town. Southboro has Rt-9, the Mass Pike, and the commuter rail all going through town. The housing stock is also very diverse which is great for affordability, but detracts from the town's beauty a little bit. The affluent neighborhoods are tucked away in random cul de sacs while most of the affordable split levels are within earshot of the commuter rail. Some homes are well-kept while others are not. Overall Southboro doesn't flow very well which is one of the reasons I decided not to buy there after viewing over a dozen homes and got a feel for the town.
Where did you end up buying, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:56 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
While I too find Sherborn charming, I'm not sure I could ever see myself living there. I have no great love for antique homes and I don't really like the idea of owning a lot any larger than 1/3 to 1/2 acre. Plus, there's absolutely nothing in town except C&L Frosty and that restaurant at the Sherborn Inn (name escapes me).

If the OP is deciding between Southboro and Sherborn then they probably don't feel the same way I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
Where did you end up buying, if you don't mind my asking?
Parsec lives in Sudbury. Another charming New England suburb but it has a lot more commercial (shops & restaurants) property than the two towns you've mentioned.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Sherborn without hesitation over Southboro. Prettier historic properties, closer to Boston. Both towns can have an isolated feel, but at least Sherborn is surrounded by towns with decent town centers and lots to do, especially for families. If you are a nature lover there is the Audubon in South Natick, Powisett Farm in Dover, Elm Bank in Wellesley and a great bicycle rail trail that starts in Holliston. Places to shop and eat within a 15 minute drive range from the big mall in Natick to the small quaint Brothers Market in Medfield with its own diner counter and bakery cafe inside the grocery store.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:02 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Sherborn without hesitation over Southboro. Prettier historic properties, closer to Boston. Both towns can have an isolated feel, but at least Sherborn is surrounded by towns with decent town centers and lots to do, especially for families. If you are a nature lover there is the Audubon in South Natick, Powisett Farm in Dover, Elm Bank in Wellesley and a great bicycle rail trail that starts in Holliston. Places to shop and eat within a 15 minute drive range from the big mall in Natick to the small quaint Brothers Market in Medfield with its own diner counter and bakery cafe inside the grocery store.

On the historic properties maybe, but Sherborn always felt a bit isolated to me. Used to drive through there quite a bit, and it's like South Framingham with all its congestion sort of cuts it off from anywhere you need to go. To go to Medfield is easier, if you are on that side of town. Southborough on the other hand; you are an easy drive from Westborough (which has a ton), Marlborough, or Framingham (the side you want to be on). Hopkinton State Park is close by, then you have places like Garden in the Woods just over the line in Framingham.

But like I said, I don't think either town is worth it if you aren't there for the schools.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

But like I said, I don't think either town is worth it if you aren't there for the schools.
Are there other towns I should be looking at? Something that feels woodsy/rural/quaint but is a quicker commute to Watertown than Southboro/Framingham, has a Catholic school, and where I can find a 5 bedroom for $650? It's the Catholic school part that's tripping me up. There aren't as many of them as there used to be.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
Are there other towns I should be looking at? Something that feels woodsy/rural/quaint but is a quicker commute to Watertown than Southboro/Framingham, has a Catholic school, and where I can find a 5 bedroom for $650? It's the Catholic school part that's tripping me up. There aren't as many of them as there used to be.
Not really. Will this be elementary or HS? You could always give Westwood a look. It has Xavarian Bros. HS as well as an elementary school in Norwood. It's somewhat woodsy in areas, but not really quaint like Sherborn is. Also really not much shorter of a commute than Framingham or Sudbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts