Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:22 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,300,293 times

Advertisements

Yeah blue hills is easy in terms of just learning to ski and close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,170,912 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Wachusett Mountain. You can even take the ski train from Boston.

Wachusett Mountain Ski Area - Princeton, Massachusetts

Casey B,

Thanks for the link, tip!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:59 AM

12,606 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Just go with what's closest. That makes the most sense until you're comfortable enough to start being picky about terrain.

Honestly, Wachusett is a place I'd avoid as a true novice. It's the closest thing to a "big" Mountain (it has 1,000 feet of vertical) close to Boston so it's one of the more crowded ski areas in New England. That's the biggest challenge (in my opinion) for a new skier. If you don't have the space to play around, and your constantly worried about getting run over or tripping over other novices, learning is hard and not fun. A place like Blue Hills, Nashoba or Blandford would be better as you just won't get the crowds you get at Wachusett. When you're comfortable doing runs on your own, Wachusett is fine for a quick day trip.

My girlfriend isn't much of a skier either, but she's trying this year. I have the New England Pass (Loon, Sunday River and Sugarloaf) and it allows me to get her a few free lessons (with rentals). If you have a friend with the same pass, maybe ask? It would at least make for a fun Weekend and Loon is an easy shot straight up 93 from Boston. All of those places have excellent learn-to-ski programs for adults.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:07 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
I learned at Nashoba, personally.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Wachusetts is a big mountain but they have many trails that are nicely groomed. I'd go there. And they have nice night skiing.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Just go with what's closest. That makes the most sense until you're comfortable enough to start being picky about terrain.

Honestly, Wachusett is a place I'd avoid as a true novice. It's the closest thing to a "big" Mountain (it has 1,000 feet of vertical) close to Boston so it's one of the more crowded ski areas in New England. That's the biggest challenge (in my opinion) for a new skier. If you don't have the space to play around, and your constantly worried about getting run over or tripping over other novices, learning is hard and not fun. A place like Blue Hills, Nashoba or Blandford would be better as you just won't get the crowds you get at Wachusett. When you're comfortable doing runs on your own, Wachusett is fine for a quick day trip.

My girlfriend isn't much of a skier either, but she's trying this year. I have the New England Pass (Loon, Sunday River and Sugarloaf) and it allows me to get her a few free lessons (with rentals). If you have a friend with the same pass, maybe ask? It would at least make for a fun Weekend and Loon is an easy shot straight up 93 from Boston. All of those places have excellent learn-to-ski programs for adults.
Great post. Wachusett can be rather stressful for novice skiers due to the density. My wife and I live in Sterling (<15 min) and the wife insists on driving to Ragged or Sunapee as she hates all the tweens bombing the intermediate trails with reckless abandon. It's a great resource for MA residents, but it sees huge volumes due to proximity ... it's nearly insufferable.

I'd personally get some slope time at Nashoba, Blue Hills, etc. then seek Liftopia deals at a mountain like Ragged - low volume and the bulk of the skiers/borders on the mountain have experience meaning you won't feel like or be avoiding "road cones".

Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,377,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Wachusett can be rather stressful for novice skiers due to the density. My wife and I live in Sterling (<15 min) and the wife insists on driving to Ragged or Sunapee as she hates all the tweens bombing the intermediate trails with reckless abandon. It's a great resource for MA residents, but it sees huge volumes due to proximity ... it's nearly insufferable.
I'm with your wife. Wachusett can be stressful for any level of skier. The atmosphere there is exactly the type of thing I like being on the mountain to get away from.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:53 PM

120 posts, read 233,277 times
Thank you all for the great advice, looking forward to the slopes!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM
A02

74 posts, read 101,466 times
I know this is an older post but wanted to toss my 02 cents in now that I've been to a couple of places as I've been learning to snowboard this season.

I highly recommend Blue Hills for the first day. I'd strongly consider paying for a private lesson package mid-week. It's a pretty reasonable deal cost-wise. You get 75 minutes of instruction, the rental equipment and an all-day ski pass. Going mid-week will mean hardly any other will be around... so you will feel more comfortable... and hey, it's cheaper!

After you are riding summit to base at Blue Hills (some people it may be 1 day, others more)... I highly recommend Wachusett. Again, I might only go mid-week though. I've heard it's a complete zoo there on the weekends. The thing I loved about Wachusett is that they have a dedicated lift for 2 green trails that are pretty darn long. You can build up some confidence there and then they have a great blue on the summit that's designated as a slower trail for families and beginners called Ralph's Run. It runs on the outside of the mountain away from the lifts and is nice and long - and varied enough, where you could ski it alone for quite a bit and not be bored.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts