Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM

66 posts, read 90,171 times

Advertisements

I am considering a construction project, a single family house in the back of my lot located in Needham. It is land locked and has no frontage and is zoned SRB. If the zoning allows, I would like to run a driveway on the side of my house to the back lot. There is not much space on the side, 11'. Needham dpw requirement is 6' for driveway. But would it be classified minor road or driveway and would it need to become a legal right of way or easement?

If access is allowed, does the back lot then inherits "frontage"? There is nothing mentioned of this sort in Needham's by-laws.

There is not much online in terms of research of Needham. Other towns at least have permits online, which gives an insight into costs and type of projects approved by zoning departments without appeals. In Newton I have seen examples of back lot construction. They did require ZBA, however. In Needham I located 2 properties where back lots had become developed despite lack of direct access. But there are no zba meeting notes from years ago. Research is limited. Maybe a little more digging in registry of deeds?

I would appreciate any nuggets of information. If you had any experiences with development, or know of places to get further research from, I'll be glad to read about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:55 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Why don't you just consult a real estate attorney?

Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
For edification that is what is referred to as a flag lot. Picture a flag atop a flagpole with the pole being the access (driveway). I looked at one such house many years ago in North Andover.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:40 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
AKA -- pork chop lot.

Your best bet is to go to building office in town with a simple sketch of what you want to accomplish. They will give you some information regarding what has been allowed. Your next step after that may be going to the planning board to see if they will approve your plan.

IMHO, it may be difficult to do what you want to.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
A simple call to the building department on Monday will answer all your questions.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
As already suggested, I would call the building department. I will say though that I've been told by more than one builder all of whom have many years of experience building in Needham that the town HATES pork chop lots. Likely you'll need to go before the ZBA and if there's not a building on the property already, you might not have a great shot at being able to build on the lot. Being a homeowner and not a developer they might have more sympathy for you though.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
AKA -- pork chop lot.

Your best bet is to go to building office in town with a simple sketch of what you want to accomplish. They will give you some information regarding what has been allowed. Your next step after that may be going to the planning board to see if they will approve your plan.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts