Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:39 PM

875 posts, read 663,831 times

Advertisements

This is my response to a similar question a few weeks back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
I am more conservative and would buy in the current best locations that you can afford ..... back bay/beacon hill/south end ...... the blue chip analogy. Lots or other areas but these are the ones that I am most familiar with. They cost more but will rent quicker, for more money, better tenant pool, and will better weather the inevitable market downturns as was seen during the last recession.

Who knows, but maybe Eastie, Chelsea etc. is a great long term speculative buy .... but the last investments to peak in a cycle are very often the first to fall, and fall the hardest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quincy because of the red line alone. Dedham or West Roxbury, close enough to Boston. I was in Dedham a few weeks ago and vibe was pretty upbeat. Natick is still heading upwards if you can afford a bit more and tolerate suburban living. Buy a small 3 BR house and rent out the other two rooms, good income to be made by doing that in any of those locales.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 12-20-2016 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2016, 04:01 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
The redline is overrated if you arent within walking distance or can't get a ride. Most lots are full by 7:30am. But i know everyone will disagree with me there. I personally dont see it as the main reason to move somewhere.

Hyde park and mattpan are really the only 'cheaper' places left to buy.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:16 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
The redline is overrated if you arent within walking distance or can't get a ride. Most lots are full by 7:30am. But i know everyone will disagree with me there. I personally dont see it as the main reason to move somewhere.

I used to walk a mile to the Red Line, sometimes I would take the bus back if there was one waiting in Quincy Center. It was no big deal. Unless you are out in Houghs Neck or something, most people in Quincy live within a mile of station. In addition, you have the commuter boat from the shipyard.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:24 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Quincy because of the red line alone. Dedham or West Roxbury, close enough to Boston. I was in Dedham a few weeks ago and vibe was pretty upbeat. Natick is still heading upwards if you can afford a bit more and tolerate suburban living. Buy a small 3 BR house and rent out the other two rooms, good income to be made by doing that in any of those locales.
I think West Roxbury is already overpriced for what you get, Hyde Park has more room to go up. Dedham is an interesting case in that it is so varied, with differeent trends affecting different areas of town.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 PM

Yeah there is one part of dedham near dedham ctr that is very nice...cant say im familiar wirh the bad parts.

W. Roxbury is pretty expensive...not sure how far the dollar would there now. Hyde park has very low prices so i see that as an investment opportunity area. Cleary sq is not great but the stonybrook forest is there, george wright golf course, 3 different commuter rail stops.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Hyde Park is like our own little Chelsea. It hasn't changed in the almost 40 years i've been around. There is an abundance of dollar stores and crap ethnic braiding places in Cleary square. Nothing worthwhile. The HP ave strip is a couple of miles of auto repair, sales and phone card type stores. Closer to forest hills is starting to gentrify with the opening of new bars and restaurants and the taking down of the overpass. I can see people being priced out of JP and more recently Roslindale moving to HP on the forest hills/walk hill side, but further down near river st. / mattapan still looks like you are in an almost 3rd world country. It's still a tricky market there.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 AM

Well cleary sq does have bacaro's now owned by the same folks who own sophias gratto in roslindale. Have you been to the fairmount hill and stonybrook sections? Those areas have been nice for a while. Readville is also nice as are the neighborhoods near george wright. I agree on cleary sq and the section near mattapan. Would be nice if the folks living there wanted a nice neighborhood but they dont seem to give a crap. I dont really like the sections near forest hills these days either whether it be jp or hp but everyone is all about the train these days.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:41 AM

344 posts, read 336,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

Except for Quincy Adams, which is only full when they close half of the garage to do road work.It's usually pretty wide open all day.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:47 AM

Shocking. I guess that area hasnt gentrified then...too many people must be out of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts