Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 AM

344 posts, read 335,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yeah. I sometimes find it easier to take I-95 (or even 495) all the way around, vs deal with I93 during rush hour.
I think it's totally dependent on where in town you're going. My commute when I don't take the HOV lane with my wife from Quincy to Longwood is ~ 1 hour, give or take 15 minutes. Not ideal by any stretch, but doable. Or I could just be so lost as to what is a reasonable commute these days, god only knows. There are those handful of days where it is awful and it will take me closer to 2 hours to get home, but they are really few and far between.

Also, depending on where you work, the back roads are doable in Quincy, although they have their bad days too. A lot of the time I end up going back roads through Quincy to E. Milton Square and going up through Dorchester/Mattapan to the Arborway to get to Longwood, but I've known most of those roads for years. It can be a bit convoluted if you're new to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:51 AM

344 posts, read 335,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Shocking. I guess that area hasnt gentrified then...too many people must be out of work.
I think it's more because the garage is really freaking big. It's also pretty close to Crown Colony, which is where the only nice Hotel in the area is, and is pretty nice as far as office parks go.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Shocking. I guess that area hasnt gentrified then...too many people must be out of work.
We basically have full employment. If people are out of work, its because they want to be.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We basically have full employment. If people are out of work, its because they want to be.
There's a bit more nuance there. Within my social network I know plenty of 50-somethings who were pulling 100k+ incomes, were laid off in '09, and now cannot find comparable work. Many will dismiss these people as victims of tech progress, but the truth is that they are competent people who were pushed out for cheaper labor (hb-1s, recent grads who accept pittance to pay dem billz).

Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
There's a bit more nuance there. Within my social network I know plenty of 50-somethings who were pulling 100k+ incomes, were laid off in '09, and now cannot find comparable work. Many will dismiss these people as victims of tech progress, but the truth is that they are competent people who were pushed out for cheaper labor (hb-1s, recent grads who accept pittance to pay dem billz).
Finding comparable work is different than not finding work. More than once I've had to go back to work for many many tens of thousands less than I was earning at my last gig. Often temping for awhile at wages that paid minimally, if any, better than unemployment. That's life. I found work. Not all that many people are going to have all that compassion for someone that made 120k having to take a job that "only" pays 80k or whatever, nor should they.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:58 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
You mean I have to sell my wife's Escalade? How are we going to get our boat to the Cape house?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
You mean I have to sell my wife's Escalade? How are we going to get our boat to the Cape house?
Your boat fits on a trailer? Hmmmpf. Thou shalt not be invited to my gala!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
No, more like "I had a comfortable middle class existence in a modest mid-tier town as a certified tig welder... until my employer had me train Brazilian laborers for 18 months before laying off all of the highly qualified American workers ... because workers on visas don't complain to OSHA."

Or

"I had a comfortable middle class existence in a modest mid-tier town in IT... until my employer had me train Indian laborers for 18 months before laying off all of the highly qualified American workers ... because workers on H1b visas are cheaper"

Or

"I had a comfortable middle class existence in a modest mid-tier town at a local CU... until my employer had me train recent grads 18 months before laying off all of the highly qualified older workers ... because older workers drive up healthcare benefit costs"

All of these situations are morally and legally objectionable. And it's happening in this state to people who are financially and emotionally invested in their communities. I'm all for appropriate use of work visas and natural attrition, but in many instances MA businesses are operating outside the bounds of law.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:11 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

All of these situations are morally and legally objectionable. And it's happening in this state to people who are financially and emotionally invested in their communities. I'm all for appropriate use of work visas and natural attrition, but in many instances MA businesses are operating outside the bounds of law.
I hear ya. And I feel the pain. I just moved due to similar experience. Trained some 24 year old to do my job and was starting to see the writing on the wall. It's a dog eat dog world these days.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:49 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Finding comparable work is different than not finding work. More than once I've had to go back to work for many many tens of thousands less than I was earning at my last gig. Often temping for awhile at wages that paid minimally, if any, better than unemployment. That's life. I found work. Not all that many people are going to have all that compassion for someone that made 120k having to take a job that "only" pays 80k or whatever, nor should they.
Easier to say and do when you are a free agent and have no family to support or big mortgage to pay like you and I, not so much otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts