Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 AM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Red places are about half white. Some red areas, such as Fall River and most of New Bedford are above 80% white.
"Non-Hispanic" white? Also, there is the issue of counting Cape Verdeans.

Census form falls short in counting Cape Verdeans - News - southcoasttoday.com - New Bedford, MA

I doubt that 80% of those red areas in FR and NB are really 80% "white" white, or non-"minority" voters. 50%, quite possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Red you can see is New Bedford, Fall River, Brockton, Randolph, parts of Springfield, Worcester, Lawrence - those kind of cities. Yeah, yellow is strange.
Yellow stands out by voting a lot for Bernie in the primary — mostly liberal rural areas. These charts might help

a lot of overlap, but each color forms a vague grouping based on how much they changed from Romney to Trump; and voted Democratic in previous elections

Brown and Pink areas really didn't like Trump compared to a typical Republican. Blue and light blue didn't change much for or against Trump since they're so solidly Democratic. The Brown and pink areas did tend to approve of physician suicide.

In general, though the pattern is less clear, marijuana legalization is less popular than elsewhere in the brown/pink places, while marijuana legalization did better in yellow places.

Last edited by nei; 12-31-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,033,163 times
I would say the yellow areas in Waltham are predominantly renters. You can practically see South St dividing the multi-families and single family homes on the south side.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:37 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,210,827 times
I think yellow in urban Boston signifies the gentrifying areas. That includes the Moody Street area of Waltham which is gentrifying somewhat.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:35 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,801,627 times
It makes some sense but I can't figure it all out. Yes the red is poor and the dark blue in Dorchester and Roxbury seems to mean black although Dorchester and Hyde Park have red so maybe red means Caribbean and dark blue is African American or something like that. The brown in metro west versus north and south makes some sense as metro west is more affluent in general but can't tell what it means, nor can I tell what the green-purple difference in the southern areas means--maybe the green is more Irish American? Or maybe it's just an economic difference, or maybe it's a voting pattern difference, like people who went for Trump and voted against the charter school cap.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,740,728 times
The other thing is what percentage did NOT vote. there clearly were enough reasons with local, state, president and ballot measures.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
My assessment.

Orange=Townies brainwashed by their unions to always Democrat even though they usually go against their own interests.

Brown=Leafy liberal, safe Democrat. Probably the best represented and most content with current state politics. They are the "haves" who want to remain so.

Light blue=Crazy leftists. Occupy/BLM/anything labeled LGBT/Bernie Sanders, etc.

Purple=Affluent suburban, left-leaning moderate. Like status-quo, sometimes votes for RINOs such as Baker, Romney and Brown. Averse to risk taking.

Green=Rural and exurban independents. Generally the most conservative in Mass., although liberals reside there as well (it's a "live and let live" environment). More principled and less of a swing voterness than the Purple region. Along with the light blue, they're probably the 2 most authentic. True "New England".

Blue=Urban African American Democrat. Like with the Orange, brainwashed to vote against their own interests.

Yellow=That is the one where I really couldn't figure out. Maybe some sort of transitional, or apathetic? Transient? IDK.

Red=Other urban minority. Latino, Cape Verdean, Hatian, some whites. Safe Democrat. Low participation.
I definitely agree with the classification except the categorization of townies and African Americans as brainwashed... but you got the lions share of the demography right.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Red places are about half white. Some red areas, such as Fall River and most of New Bedford are above 80% white.
New Bedford is about 65-66% white according to Census 2015 estimates and that number is definitely generous just due to the number of Portuguese, some Brazilians, illegal Central Americans, and all the 'other' and mixed race people there. I doubt that people we would classify as white is any higher than 55% in New Bedford. It surely hasnt been 80% or more white since 1990. Fall River, on the other hand clocks in at almost exactly 80% non hispanic white. Which may more likely be 70/75% 'real feel'

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
It makes some sense but I can't figure it all out. Yes the red is poor and the dark blue in Dorchester and Roxbury seems to mean black although Dorchester and Hyde Park have red so maybe red means Caribbean and dark blue is African American or something like that. The brown in metro west versus north and south makes some sense as metro west is more affluent in general but can't tell what it means, nor can I tell what the green-purple difference in the southern areas means--maybe the green is more Irish American? Or maybe it's just an economic difference, or maybe it's a voting pattern difference, like people who went for Trump and voted against the charter school cap.
Ehh, African Americans and Caribbean blacks generally vote the same, although African Americans (up here in the north, are more liberal/radical and more concerned with economics rather than education). The opportunities to showcase their VERY slight voting differences are few and far between. TO me blue just represents deep poverty.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I definitely agree with the classification except the categorization of townies and African Americans as brainwashed... but you got the lions share of the demography right.
Agreed. Hate to bring politics into this but calling the other side brainwashed/stupid/lazy just hurts the political discourse and divides the country. And this type of discourse happens on both sides. Your method of discourse is exactly same as the "liberal intolerance" that the right often complains about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts