Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:41 AM

550 posts, read 680,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
The sending town only pays a max of $5,000 per student. The receiving district covers the gap in per pupil cost. This amount is set by the state. I live in a town that participates in school choice, but has reduced the amount of choice students because the amount the sending district pays is so low.

Another con with school choice is that is not a sure thing. You can apply, but your child may not get in and you may be stuck sending your kids to your home school district. So while it is a good option for parents, you definitely need a back-up plan.
this is why I'm glad my town does not participate in school choice. We should not
have to cover additional expenses for out of district students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:47 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
The sending town only pays a max of $5,000 per student. The receiving district covers the gap in per pupil cost. This amount is set by the state. I live in a town that participates in school choice, but has reduced the amount of choice students because the amount the sending district pays is so low.

Another con with school choice is that is not a sure thing. You can apply, but your child may not get in and you may be stuck sending your kids to your home school district. So while it is a good option for parents, you definitely need a back-up plan.
Really, still??? They were paying that amount quite a few years ago. If it hasn't gone up since, well then they need to adjust that I think.

Still, in my own example; I was in a town that spent over $11,000 per student. While they were receiving around $5000 per student that choiced in, it was still considered a money maker for the district. Remember they receive an additional amount in Chapter 70 state $ per student. As school choice had been declining, it was a major cause for concern. Let's say one year there is a net loss of 10 students. Not counting state money, they lose $50,000. Where are they going to cut $50,000 from the budget? Those 10 students are all likely different grade levels. They cannot eliminate a teacher. The buildings do not shrink any, same maintenance costs... Maybe save on a few books at the most, but they are not going to trim $50,000 from the budget without negative consequences. Of course there are scenarios where it is different, ie. that one extra student is "just enough" to put them over the district's maximum-class-size threshold. I'm talking general though.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:13 AM

513 posts, read 646,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Really, still??? They were paying that amount quite a few years ago. If it hasn't gone up since, well then they need to adjust that I think.

Still, in my own example; I was in a town that spent over $11,000 per student. While they were receiving around $5000 per student that choiced in, it was still considered a money maker for the district. Remember they receive an additional amount in Chapter 70 state $ per student. As school choice had been declining, it was a major cause for concern. Let's say one year there is a net loss of 10 students. Not counting state money, they lose $50,000. Where are they going to cut $50,000 from the budget? Those 10 students are all likely different grade levels. They cannot eliminate a teacher. The buildings do not shrink any, same maintenance costs... Maybe save on a few books at the most, but they are not going to trim $50,000 from the budget without negative consequences. Of course there are scenarios where it is different, ie. that one extra student is "just enough" to put them over the district's maximum-class-size threshold. I'm talking general though.
It really is a numbers game every budget season because the $5000 is additional money until you have to start hiring additional staff. The school district has to look at enrollment and factor in how many choice students to allow without having to hire additional teachers, etc. Then, of course, there is no guarantee that the admitted choice students attend, as many apply to several different schools.

The $5,000 cap has not increased in many years from what I understand.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It really is a numbers game every budget season because the $5000 is additional money until you have to start hiring additional staff. The school district has to look at enrollment and factor in how many choice students to allow without having to hire additional teachers, etc. Then, of course, there is no guarantee that the admitted choice students attend, as many apply to several different schools.

The $5,000 cap has not increased in many years from what I understand.
It is a numbers game to an extent, I think "real world impact" would be a more on par term.

Let's say you have a school system with 2000 students that takes in a net of 100 school choice kids (that's 5% of the student body, a pretty significant amount).

Divided by 12 grades, to simplify it say there are 8 classes per grade (let's say just over 20 per class). 100/8 rounds to 8 choice students per grade on average, which averages to one extra student per classroom. I think it's realistic and generous to assume one out of 3 grades will require an additional teacher. That is 4 new teachers for 12 grades. And let's say $80,000 in personnel costs for those 4 teachers, which is an extra $320,000 in expenses. But the district would gain an additional $500,000 from the sending district, not counting state aid.

Of course there are too many variables to discuss here, and we could go on with hypothetical situations all day long. But I maintain that in most scenarios (considering the greater efficiencies in larger systems); even with that archaic formula, the receiving district will make out better in the end.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:20 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
There has to be some better way of doing this really. Metco works but it hasn't been expanded. Why not have it in Brockton, Lawrence, Fall River etc. Charter is not the only form of competition.

Sadly students are becoming a commodity in this. Charter voted down, vocational being blocked by superintendents, online schools not being utilized etc. Everyone wants their children educated but not everyone knows the process or costs of doing so.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:20 AM

North Attleboro to explore school choice | Local News | thesunchronicle.com

School-choice might be one solution to declining enrollment and falling revenue, incoming Superintendent Scott Holcomb says - and soon, school committee members and a task force will look into the program to see if that's true.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Reminds me of one argument that could help charter schools is that if they are really considered private then allow them to court international students. International students are limited to one year in public schools but there is no cap for private schools.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:21 PM

69 posts, read 92,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
Agreed with CaseyB. We cannot spend additional money to educate kids from out of town.
When students go to another town via school choice, the state funds for those students go with them to the new town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts