Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 AM

265 posts, read 347,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. I haven't contested a Massachusetts ticket in a long time but that's generally the rules of the game. You appear before some random clerk-magistrate with some random state cop sitting next to him. You pretty much have zero shot at getting the ticket dismissed there so you have to appeal it. You then show up in traffic court and hope the cop doesn't show up. You burn two days getting a ticket dismissed. Cops typically are getting paid overtime to appear in a traffic court case. For a mundane speeding ticket, the odds are very high that they won't show up. The odds are even better in a speed trap where one cop was running the radar gun and another cop down the road actually pulled you over and ticketed you. In that case, both cops would have to show up. They're not going to pay two cops overtime for a speeding ticket. I've contested two tickets and that's how it went both times.
What if no body from the police department shows up at the magistrate?

Also, when I face the judge down the road, can I simply say it was not me, he will ask for evidence, I had two passengers with me, one lives in Vancouver Canada (He was visiting) and another is available but he has to take a day off from work which is a pain.

Also, is it possible that state troopers do not ask for the registration? He only asked for my license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
How could he have shot you earlier with laser and then suddenly be ahead of you to pull you over? or was he theoretically shooting you from where he was stopped?
Anyway the suggestion to get an attorney who specializes in speeding / traffic tickets is the best advice.
I honestly do not know, we (Me and my passengers) NEVER saw a police car before that, it was quiet except for the guy that was going really fast and passed me (It was similar to my car), then a few minutes later I saw the trooper with his lights already on, once I got closer, he merged into the highway, then he definitely "Pulled me over". I was never speeding, if I was, I would definitely just pay the fine maybe get it reduced, but 87 sounded ridiculous, way to ridiculous. The highest I was or might have been going was 68-70.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
No one is judging anyone. It was just a question in order to clarify what happened. If you're half this defensive in the courtroom, no one will believe your story.
I understand what you are saying, but in my case, who will believe my story? Seriously this is ridiculous. Trust me, if I was speeding I would definitely admit it, I have never gotten a speeding ticket before.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:57 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
What if no body from the police department shows up at the magistrate?

Also, when I face the judge down the road, can I simply say it was not me, he will ask for evidence, I had two passengers with me, one lives in Vancouver Canada (He was visiting) and another is available but he has to take a day off from work which is a pain.

Also, is it possible that state troopers do not ask for the registration? He only asked for my license.
The police department always shows up. They use a representative so it could be anyone, but in the extremely rare circumstance you presented I bet they let you off. This is probably less likely than any possible outcome. As far as just saying "they got the wrong person", you will have to really hope the judge is having a good day. I really don't know how you would prove your situation which is really unfortunate.

Quote:
Interesting, so from what I understand, I won't see the judge on the same day I saw the Magistrate after I appeal, correct? I just want this to take a few more months so it does not post and at least my insurance would not go up until next year (If I don't get it dismissed).
You will be given the opportunity to choose a date you'd like to go to court. They have a schedule and you can generally pick from several options. I get your point with the insurance thing, but you may not have a choice depending on the timing. Although it always seems to take forever just to get the first date.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
The police department always shows up. They use a representative so it could be anyone, but in the extremely rare circumstance you presented I bet they let you off. This is probably less likely than any possible outcome. As far as just saying "they got the wrong person", you will have to really hope the judge is having a good day. I really don't know how you would prove your situation which is really unfortunate.

You will be given the opportunity to choose a date you'd like to go to court. They have a schedule and you can generally pick from several options. I get your point with the insurance thing, but you may not have a choice depending on the timing. Although it always seems to take forever just to get the first date.
Ok, thank you so much!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:48 AM

Hi all,
Just a follow up,I apologize I did not let you guys know. But anyways, I was found NOT RESPONSIBLE for the ticket, the magistrate was beyond nice

Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM

319 posts, read 504,183 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I have a hearing for a speeding ticket in Springfield MA next month, but I need your guidance on this if you have experienced it before, here is my story:

I was driving from Framingham to Springfield on I-90, going to the Church, I SWEAR I was going less than 70, probably 65-68, however, there was a similar car to mine (in color and size) that was literally flying on the highway, it passed me from the right lane (only two lane highway near Springfield), I would guess he was going about between 90-100 MPH.

Anyways, 2 or 3 minutes later, I see the Police officer with his lights on, he pulled in front of me, I passed him, so I thought he was not after me, but I pulled over, I ask, "What did I do wrong officer", he responds "can I get your license for a second", and he did not ask for my registration, so I asked him same question again what I did wrong, after looking at my license, he told me that he "caught" me earlier at the "bridge" (do not know what bridge he was talking about) and he said that I was caught on a Lidar doing 87 MPH, I GOT SHOCKED, he went to his cruiser, took 15 or so minutes, he came back with a $210 ticket, he goes "please keep it slow", then I asked "Excuse me officer" he literally ignored me and got into his cruiser, and drove in reverse on the emergency lane.

This was such an annoying situation, I know that it was not me speeding, he did not ask for my registration, he did not really "Pull me over" instead he was parked ahead with his lights on, so I am assuming he could not catch the flying car, instead he pulled me over. Also, he ignored me and did not let me explain or justify or even tell him that it was not me.

Anyways, what do you think I should tell the magistrate on my hearing date, I want to look and be polite, but citing innocent drivers for something they did not do is just not acceptable.

I am mostly concerned about Insurance premiums, my insurance renewal is due in April, and I don't want the two points, plus I have no violations in the past 5 years. This is aggravating

Please help me.
Thanks
Do you have anything with a timestamp?

If you have an EZPass, go online to your account and print out the toll transaction as they are time stamped.
Then, if you have the exact time and location you were pulled over, you could calculate your average speed
and use that in an argument that you could not have been speeding, thus corroborating your version of the events.

Distance= Velocity x Time so Velocity = Distance/Time

Distance= location where pulled over minus location of time stamped toll

Time = time pulled over minus timestamp at toll

Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM

319 posts, read 504,183 times
Quote:
Hi all,
Just a follow up,I apologize I did not let you guys know. But anyways, I was found NOT RESPONSIBLE for the ticket, the magistrate was beyond nice
Whoops missed this post. Congratulations.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
Whoops missed this post. Congratulations.
Yeah haha, I was beyond happy to be honest. The majesty and Police officer that was sitting in the room both agreed that I do not have any violations in the past five years, they just dropped it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts