Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
House painting costs probably vary depending on which suburb or city you are in. If you are in say 'Brookline', I wonder if its much cheaper to find a painter based in 'far out suburb' to drive in 1 hour and still come out 'much' cheaper than a city painter?

I guess the same could be said of 'tree removal' and contracting jobs in general...
They know where you live and charge you accordingly. Someone from a far out suburb isn't going to drive to Brookline without it being worth their while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM

880 posts, read 819,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
They know where you live and charge you accordingly. Someone from a far out suburb isn't going to drive to Brookline without it being worth their while.
Arhhh, now I know why many cities welcome illegal immigrants (cheap labor). BTW this is a joke

Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
ugh, so frustrating about the lower painting costs. I think most of the cost was associated with scraping an antique house (since there is the lead paint factor). They have to take extra precautions to make sure the old paint doesn't touch the soil. Also, we have antique windows with wood sashes and all of those sashes had to be hand scraped and painted. I don't have the quote in front of me, but I believe the vast majority of the cost was in prepping the house for paint. Probably something unique to an antique home. I think that's why the fence was so much cheaper--it was just a large surface with no detail work and no lead paint to worry about.
That makes more sense. Disposal costs are much higher with lead contaminated waste and also there is the protective gear that they should be wearing as well and many other things that drive up the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
House painting costs probably vary depending on which suburb or city you are in. If you are in say 'Brookline', I wonder if its much cheaper to find a painter based in 'far out suburb' to drive in 1 hour and still come out 'much' cheaper than a city painter?

I guess the same could be said of 'tree removal' and contracting jobs in general...
That definitely happens with contractors. My parents moved from Framingham to Newton many years ago and would call all the same contractors but the bills they got suddenly became significantly higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts