Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM

880 posts, read 818,422 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what people's thought on this Newton house. Ask $875k

Location? Price?

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Newton/19-.../home/11417006

Alot of people recommend Newton for its schools, community and proximity to Boston.
This house looks like on the smaller size (given its price), but at the same time looks like it could provide 'comfortable' living with just minor upgrades if your priority is your kids education+commute times?

Overpriced? 3-4 years ago, this house would have been a 750k priced house? Not in an A-class prime location, but pleasant place to live?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
I just went through this -- we bought a house in Newton last year. Almost exactly a year ago we were house-hunting. That looks like a great house. I certainly would have put it on my list and looked at it. Looks like a good location.

It's always difficult to say because there are a lot of houses that look great in the listing but when you see them they're not right for you. I'd look at it quickly. Anything under $1 million sells pretty quickly in Newton.

EDIT: I see you've been asking this same sort of question here for years, and you show a Newton zip code as your home. Why are you asking? Given that you've been pondering this for years and apparently live in Newton, you probably would already know more than most of the people on this forum. What is it that you're trying to find out?

Last edited by chicagoliz; 01-12-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 AM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
I know that area pretty well, my best friend from college lives nearby on Mosman.

Fessenden is a bit of a cut through street. That would bother me somewhat but I bet somebody will still buy this house quick.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I just went through this -- we bought a house in Newton last year. Almost exactly a year ago we were house-hunting. That looks like a great house. I certainly would have put it on my list and looked at it. Looks like a good location.

It's always difficult to say because there are a lot of houses that look great in the listing but when you see them they're not right for you. I'd look at it quickly. Anything under $1 million sells pretty quickly in Newton.

EDIT: I see you've been asking this same sort of question here for years, and you show a Newton zip code as your home. Why are you asking? Given that you've been pondering this for years and apparently live in Newton, you probably would already know more than most of the people on this forum. What is it that you're trying to find out?
Its mostly for sharing local information amongst people who visit this forum. Its good to have more 'local' information so newcomers don't have to rely on 'realtor-talk'

Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Its mostly for sharing local information amongst people who visit this forum. Its good to have more 'local' information so newcomers don't have to rely on 'realtor-talk'
But if someone was looking to move to Newton and was in this forum, wouldn't they just ask?

Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But if someone was looking to move to Newton and was in this forum, wouldn't they just ask?
They can use the search function to find old info (like any useful information posted in this thread)

Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
So you are not personally interested in this house, is that correct?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
So you are not personally interested in this house, is that correct?
Sounds fishy to me, like she is the listing agent or something.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:10 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
My first thought.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
not the listing agent or have any information on the house at all (I haven't even bothered to drive past).
trying to find negative and positive issues on the house so future home buyers can make informed decisions.

When I was looking for houses, these kinds of small critiques on houses can help a buyer understand things to look for in houses + locations. Its hard to trust a broker for this information, far too rosy (they just want the commission)

For example
negatives:
- how is this area in general. Negatives. Someone already mentioned its cut-through street
- Crafts/North is a busy intersection. this house is 2 houses away from the intersection. Noise or pollution issues
- the backyard has a large slope. Issues of water in the backyard?
- is a 1940 house 'generally' worse than a 1920's house as its about 1-2 years into the war. (materials quality, builders being drafted so less skilled labor)
- is not top-prime Newton location (eg waban, newton center), so is it overpriced?
- the construction of the orr block could cause traffic issues for the next 2 years

positives:
- can walk to elementary, middle and bike to Newton North
- if the Orr Block is built as suggested. It could be a 'nice and modern' and bustling downtown area less than 1 mile walk.
- Express bus only 1 block away, but only runs in rush hours. Has a high chance of being cancelled in the future due to low ridership and cutbacks
- if express doesn't work, your only option is to walk 15-20 mins to the Newtonville commuter rail or express stops in the village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts