U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM

650 posts, read 476,745 times

Advertisements

I must say I did find Hudson to be a bit of a pleasant surprise for central MA. The downtown is definitely pleasant and you can walk to things. Not sure how much housing is right in the area. The breweries and restaurants mentioned are fun. It's not Harvard Square, but come on, it's rural america. Not counting college towns it's really hard to find walkability in areas like that. Just a fact of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:11 PM

802 posts, read 971,465 times
Rural America on 495? Lol. Massachusetts from Worcester east and Amherst south is squarely encompassed by the northeastern Megalopolis. More like small traditional northeastern milltown in the outer 'burbs doing its best to make a comeback with its relatively new infusion of professionals priced out beyond 128. Agreed it would be hard to find a truly walkable lifestyle in Hudson because it's not much of an employment center, but a pleasant home within walking distance to a small relatively vibrant downtown can be accomplished there.

Last edited by FCMA; 01-21-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 11:22 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,146,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Rural America on 495? Lol. Massachusetts from Worcester east and Amherst south is squarely encompassed by the northeastern Megalopolis. More like small traditional northeastern milltown in the outer 'burbs doing its best to make a comeback with its relatively new infusion of professionals priced out beyond 128. Agreed it would be hard to find a truly walkable lifestyle in Hudson because it's not much of an employment center, but a pleasant home within walking distance to a small relatively vibrant downtown can be accomplished there.
It's the "all or nothing" attitude consuming America's youth. When they wake up 10 years from now broke from living in rent-seeker trappings, they'll appreciate half-steps like Hudson, Lowell, Nashua, etc.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:14 PM

802 posts, read 971,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It's the "all or nothing" attitude consuming America's youth. When they wake up 10 years from now broke from living in rent-seeker trappings, they'll appreciate half-steps like Hudson, Lowell, Nashua, etc.
Indeed. The revitalization of dense small cities and towns in the suburbs and even out in semi rural counties is in process now that the metropolitan cores are obscenely overpriced and out of reach to most folks outside the top-paid fields and trust fund babies (slash don't both categories seem to have a high correlation of privileged convergence?). In Mass we see this in the half-step places you mention to which I'd add New Bedford, Worcester, and out west Easthampton and Greenfield. Yet more places quietly becoming more desirable and cultured and revitalizing as the diaspora of highly educated professionals who landed in salary-stale fields spreads to areas few would ever have considered in the 90s when a $40-60k/yr job might float a life inside 128. I dare say that places like these, including Hudson, are experiencing a wave of hipness and renewed interest to live in or do business. This time the urban all-or-nothing folks are missing out on a trend by being geographically myopic and stubborn, but hey if they can still somehow afford Camberville or JP why mess with a good thing? Fun places while you're young! But perhaps a poor long-term situation if outside their means like you mention.

Last edited by FCMA; 01-22-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 AM

8,499 posts, read 7,632,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Yeah, really...

I wouldn't call anything east of Worcester rural America. The farthest east that might qualify would be Spencer or maybe Templeton.

Most of Hudson is east of 495. It's in Middlesex County for cripes sake! Classic mill town turned suburbia.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:25 AM

8,499 posts, read 7,632,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'd hate to know what Ayer used to be. I lived there temporarily while my SO and I labored through the "home buying experience" and found the local population to be transient and painfully uncultured (even by central MA standards). The town is like a little slice of rural dixie dropped into an otherwise posh WASP paradise (e.g., Groton, Harvard). Certainly the town has some redeeming qualities, but when I left Lowell for Ayer I did not anticipate the sense of hopelessness to increase ... after all, I had been living near a methadone clinic.

Hudson, in contrast, feels like a cultural mecca. The momentum of the town suggests a permanent transition, unlike Ayer and Clinton which are still reliant on a few town boosters.
Ayer could easily be "Anywhere" Maine, NH, NY, PA or further west in MA; much more so than "rural Dixie". I do get what you're saying about it being out of place for metro Boston, as though it was misplaced 50 miles south or east. I think being surrounded by the likes of Groton, Harvard and Littleton exaggerates that feeling a bit. Clinton is somewhat similar, other than that town having a stronger townie element which makes it feel more grounded (which imo is what has kept it from becoming a Fitchburg).

Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,146,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Ayer could easily be "Anywhere" Maine, NH, NY, PA or further west in MA; much more so than "rural Dixie". I do get what you're saying about it being out of place for metro Boston, as though it was misplaced 50 miles south or east. I think being surrounded by the likes of Groton, Harvard and Littleton exaggerates that feeling a bit. Clinton is somewhat similar, other than that town having a stronger townie element which makes it feel more grounded (which imo is what has kept it from becoming a Fitchburg).
I can buy into that analysis. Clinton, despite it's economic shortcomings, seems to have a stronger contingent of a invested locals (I hesitate to call them townies). Ayer has it's local boosters as well, but they're a small minority of the total population.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:26 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Armsby Abbey is opening a place in Hudson. Another big star for that town. I should have looked more there!

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/resta...hudson-conico/

Old 03-06-2018, 06:59 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Per Greatschools, the high school is 89% non-hispanic white, and five percent Hispanic. Are there a lot of European immigrants in Hudson, who are not English speakers? Is greatschools way off in their numbers?
Brazilians.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:31 AM

6,105 posts, read 7,258,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Brazilians.
Brazil moved to Europe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or