Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
I can't presume to speak for all liberals. As a moderate, my approach would be to post the name of the school and/or the actual text from the memo itself before starting a diatribe about what I heard second-hand from someone else who read it.
I asked him to out the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'd name the school but I don't want to risk getting the guy I know into trouble.
If it's a public school and it's a written memo that was distributed to staff members it's almost certainly a matter of public record. I'm also not sure how naming the school risks getting the guy into trouble. For one, it would take a real sleuth to be able to identify the source of the leak because "Cape Cod Todd" gave the name of a school on City-Data. Second of all, since the memo is likely public record anyway, the source wouldn't even get into too much trouble if they did find him. Especially if he's part of a teacher's union.

But anyway, until there's any evidence, it's best to treat this type of thing as nonsense. Donald Trump is the President. This isn't Harry Potter and PDJT isn't "He-who-must-not-be-named." Whether you love him or loathe him (and I certainly fall into the latter category), encouraging silence is asinine and even dangerous. It's history. Some of us don't like it, and we'll work on making sure it doesn't happen again. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a school (even private) would order staff not to talk about the president. Even those who hate the guy and what he represents should be encouraged to talk about it as silence doesn't do to invite change in the future. If you supported him, you should talk about him and your optimism for his presidency. It's like baseball opening day. Nobody is sure what will happen, but fans should be open about their enthusiasm and support, and the people who aren't fans should be vocal about what they don't like. Silence is the worst thing for either side.

I can see a memo being distributed urging staff to be sensitive about the feelings that the inauguration might encourage among students (all students on both sides). I can see staff being instructed to keep an eye out for kids lashing out at other kids over the transition of power. I can't see a memo to staff saying "don't talk about Donald Trump because it might make people who don't like him sad." That's ridiculous. And until I see it, I simply can't believe that something like that would be distributed at a public school.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know someone who works at a High School on the South Shore and a memo went out that no one is allowed to talk about Trump on Friday because it might upset some students...

I think this is ridiculous. Trumps rise to the Presidency is historic and should be used as a teachable moment not ignored.

If I had a kid in this school I would not be happy. Just what are they teaching the kids today?

I have a sad feeling that if Hillary had won that it would be celebrated and every TV in that school would be tuned to the inauguration.

This school and I'm sure there are others out there are missing out on teaching the kids important lessons that have come out of this election cycle.

I think they are doing a disservice to the kids by banning all Trump talk.

I wonder if they will have counselors and boxes of tissues available this Friday?
Wow, Fake News! Which school, what city? Without the details this is just bad fakery.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Wow, Fake News! Which school, what city? Without the details this is just bad fakery.
No, I think Todd was just passing along something he heard from a staff member at a school. Perhaps his source was wrong or misunderstood.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No, I think Todd was just passing along something he heard from a staff member at a school. Perhaps his source was wrong or misunderstood.
He wasn't just passing it along. He cross-posted it in the Politics & Controversies subforum, so it's pretty clear that he was looking to manufacture outrage with some selective reporting. He got what he wanted there, but this subforum has a healthier mix of critical thinkers.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
He wasn't just passing it along. He cross-posted it in the Politics & Controversies subforum, so it's pretty clear that he was looking to manufacture outrage with some selective reporting. He got what he wanted there, but this subforum has a healthier mix of critical thinkers.
He wasn't "passing it along"? And you can prove this how? Because he was concerned about this, and started another thread elsewhere on C-D? Please. I tend to agree with CaseyB.

Your "speculation" on his motives does not make it "fact". Talk about "fake news", lol.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
He wasn't "passing it along"? And you can prove this how? Because he was concerned about this, and started another thread elsewhere on C-D? Please. I tend to agree with CaseyB.

Your "speculation" on his motives does not make it "fact". Talk about "fake news", lol.
I'm not surprised that you would defend the OP or agree with CaseyB. Your political ideologies align. But if the OP wanted a meaningful discussion about political censorship, he would have provided more details, instead of dropping an unverifiable nugget of hearsay and disappearing.

Imagine that I started the following thread: My buddy on the North Shore, who I won't name because he could lose his job, told me that his school is making all students stand for the Pledge of Allegiance now that Trump is president. Discuss.

If I dodged follow-up questions, would you defend me for passing along information, or chastise me for being irresponsible and having a liberal agenda?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post

He didn't get the "F You Snowflakes" response he was hoping for here so he posted it elsewhere.

He was concerned about this? Please.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:00 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
He didn't get the "F You Snowflakes" response he was hoping for here so he posted it elsewhere.

He was concerned about this? Please.
I'd be concerned about it too if it turns out to be true. I certainly don't blame the OP.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not surprised that you would defend the OP or agree with CaseyB. Your political ideologies align. But if the OP wanted a meaningful discussion about political censorship, he would have provided more details, instead of dropping an unverifiable nugget of hearsay and disappearing.

Imagine that I started the following thread: My buddy on the North Shore, who I won't name because he could lose his job, told me that his school is making all students stand for the Pledge of Allegiance now that Trump is president. Discuss.

If I dodged follow-up questions, would you defend me for passing along information, or chastise me for being irresponsible and having a liberal agenda?
I'd say the same thing I said to him..."out the school!" (btw, don't the kids stand in ALL schools for the Pledge already?!?) Like anything, it may or may not be true. Is there alot of BS/"fake news" out there? Hell yes, from all sides, but doesn't mean I just assume it's all fake...because it's not. I still wouldn't be surprised if Cape Cod Todd's story is very true. This is Mass after all, and this type of thing is pretty typical here...squelch conservative voices/discussion and promote leftist voices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts