Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times

Advertisements

My brain still hasn't registered what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I was watching the game in Vermont with a mixed group. There was one guy who knew just about nothing about football who was rooting against the Patriots. He kept saying inane things. The lowlight was:

"Tom Brady is going to set the record for most Super Bowl losses"
Err... No. That would be Jim Kelly at Buffalo with 4 losses. I didn't bother mentioning Elway and Tarkenton with 3 losses.

I haven't seen much of Atlanta. NFC. New England tends to get NFC-East games on Fox. Atlanta didn't have any Sunday night games. Julio Jones is incredible.

I still can't believe they came back from down 28-3.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
[quote=bolehboleh;47096492]My brain still hasn't registered what happened.[/QUOTE

I think the Falcons and their fans feel the same way! Honestly, though, I was proud of the way they kept fighting even though Atlanta appeared to be the better team for three quarters. However, that gritty, never say die New England spirit rose up and they made history. I think the team epitomizes the character of the region. Well done.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I thought the Shields MRI commercial was great. We have been seeing the ads where Brady comes in, the nurse puts his SB rings in the locker and asks "is that it" and he says "for now". Last night after the win the aired the same commercial and this time she puts the 4 rings in the locker and he pulls another from his pocket and says "here's one more, it's kind of new" That was the best commercial of the night.
That was great, one of the few good commercials of the night. It definitely struck me that he had to have filmed that excerpt prior to the game. Confident but risky for the superstitious among us.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
That was great, one of the few good commercials of the night. It definitely struck me that he had to have filmed that excerpt prior to the game. Confident but risky for the superstitious among us.
I'm sure they recorded a couple of different iterations of the commercial and would have broadcasted the appropriate version based on the result of the game. They do things like that all the time. In fact, I can guarantee you that there are trucks and trucks of "Atlanta Falcons Superbowl LI Champions" t-shirts, hats, etc. headed to homeless shelters and third world countries as we speak.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm sure they recorded a couple of different iterations of the commercial and would have broadcasted the appropriate version based on the result of the game. They do things like that all the time. In fact, I can guarantee you that there are trucks and trucks of "Atlanta Falcons Superbowl LI Champions" t-shirts, hats, etc. headed to homeless shelters and third world countries as we speak.
That commercial had been running for awhile, the additional ending is what was new and certainly would NOT have aired had they lost. Brady having recorded it in advance was what I was referring to. However it sounds like he recorded that extra snippet way back in October with the original commercial just "in case". That's different than having filmed it last week. It's a bit different than printing championship merchandise. Sort of like in the NHL how the players won't even think about touching the Wales Trophy after winning the conference.

As an aside on the merchandise front, MLB destroyed all of the Cleveland championship gear this season citing a truly ridiculous reason "to protect the team from inaccurate merchandise being available or visible in the general marketplace". I wasn't aware third world needy countries were part of the general marketplace. You wonder who makes some of these calls.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:12 PM

371 posts, read 526,631 times
Default Classless Patriots Fans Owe Goodell an Apology

Let me say first that I grew up in the state (err, I mean the Commonwealth) of Massachusetts. However, I lived in NYC for many years so I was not there when the SpyGate and Deflategate incidents took place so I had a different perspective.

All the M*******s view the stories as bull**** and constantly assume the Patriots have never done anything wrong. They only assume this because the team was winning. Also, the decline in integrity in the USA also fits with rooting for the Patriots. The decline in integrity also is reflected in the choice of political candidates and most importantly in the election of Donald Trump.

The Patriots are clearly guilty in the Spygate and Deflategate incidents. Here's why.

For Spygate, Bill Belicheat clearly taped another team's defensive signals and used that information to his advantage. This is most glaring in the Superbowl win over Philadelphia where the Patriots called a screen pass on almost every blitz called up by the Eagles. That is not a coincidence. Eagles fans and players on the team at the time have said they will always be wondering about that game and they have that right. The real indemnification against the Patriots didn't come from the game, it came later. The offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels left to become head coach of the Denver Broncos and committed Spygate II when he was with he team and he was fired because of it. Why wasn't Belicheat fired when he committed Spygate? It was because he had won Superbowls with his cheating. The real issues comes (along with the admittance to cheating) when the Patriots rehire Josh McDaniels after he was fired. This reflects such a lack of integrity of the part of the Patriots and Bob Kraft that it is unthinkable. If your team was accused of cheating and then a member left and performed the same actions for another team, would you rehire that person? OF COURSE NOT !! Any other organization would not want that person as part of their organization. However, the Patriots did and that is the confirmation and basically an admittance that they cheated. The first 3 Superbowls won by the Patriots are tainted.

For Deflategate, clearly the team was guilty and the "shine a light" moment in this incident came when Tom Brady destroyed his cellphone. Why would he do that if he had nothing to hide? One can also ask, why would Trump not release his taxes if he didn't have something to hide? I can respect the last two Superbowl wins by the Patriots and those should not have asterisks attached to them. They even came back to win in last bite's game and for the season after Tom Brady was suspended for four games. Therefore, I can respect the title that the Patriots won yesterday but I cannot respect the way fans treated Goodell.

I and everyone else cannot blame Goodell for wanting the game to have integrity. He is the Commissioner after all and that is his right. These issues are clearly ingrained in the Patriots culture and the only thing that would should happen is that Bill Belicheat should be fired. However, that will not happen as he has won.

The Massachusetts fans throw integrity out the window and could care less. I wouldn't want my children growing up idolizing a cheat. They will become cheaters themselves, they know what has happened. Kids are smart and will grow up to think cheating is ok.

It is even more disturbing to see comments from some of the football analysts. I can praise the analysts saying Bill Belicheat can never be the best ever, that is a fact. It is disappointing to see Eric Mangini saying that he regrets his role is uncovering Spygate. He should not and that comment is basically the equivalent of Mangini and hoping for a job with the Patriots if his broadcasting contract is not extended. If fact, Mangini's contract should be terminated after the comment that it reflects such a lack of integrity.

The Patriots road to victory reflects a dangerous lack of integrity that is present in our culture. It reflects the "millennial culture" where the desire to win and screw over others is above all else.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: foul language

Old 02-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
blah blah blah
lol

Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Let me say first that I grew up in the state (err, I mean the Commonwealth) of Massachusetts. However, I lived in NYC for many years so I was not there when the SpyGate and Deflategate incidents took place so I had a different perspective.

All the M*******s view the stories as bull**** and constantly assume the Patriots have never done anything wrong. They only assume this because the team was winning. Also, the decline in integrity in the USA also fits with rooting for the Patriots. The decline in integrity also is reflected in the choice of political candidates and most importantly in the election of Donald Trump.

The Patriots are clearly guilty in the Spygate and Deflategate incidents. Here's why.

For Spygate, Bill Belicheat clearly taped another team's defensive signals and used that information to his advantage. This is most glaring in the Superbowl win over Philadelphia where the Patriots called a screen pass on almost every blitz called up by the Eagles. That is not a coincidence. Eagles fans and players on the team at the time have said they will always be wondering about that game and they have that right. The real indemnification against the Patriots didn't come from the game, it came later. The offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels left to become head coach of the Denver Broncos and committed Spygate II when he was with he team and he was fired because of it. Why wasn't Belicheat fired when he committed Spygate? It was because he had won Superbowls with his cheating. The real issues comes (along with the admittance to cheating) when the Patriots rehire Josh McDaniels after he was fired. This reflects such a lack of integrity of the part of the Patriots and Bob Kraft that it is unthinkable. If your team was accused of cheating and then a member left and performed the same actions for another team, would you rehire that person? OF COURSE NOT !! Any other organization would not want that person as part of their organization. However, the Patriots did and that is the confirmation and basically an admittance that they cheated. The first 3 Superbowls won by the Patriots are tainted.

For Deflategate, clearly the team was guilty and the "shine a light" moment in this incident came when Tom Brady destroyed his cellphone. Why would he do that if he had nothing to hide? One can also ask, why would Trump not release his taxes if he didn't have something to hide? I can respect the last two Superbowl wins by the Patriots and those should not have asterisks attached to them. They even came back to win in last bite's game and for the season after Tom Brady was suspended for four games. Therefore, I can respect the title that the Patriots won yesterday but I cannot respect the way fans treated Goodell.

I and everyone else cannot blame Goodell for wanting the game to have integrity. He is the Commissioner after all and that is his right. These issues are clearly ingrained in the Patriots culture and the only thing that would should happen is that Bill Belicheat should be fired. However, that will not happen as he has won.

The Massachusetts fans throw integrity out the window and could care less. I wouldn't want my children growing up idolizing a cheat. They will become cheaters themselves, they know what has happened. Kids are smart and will grow up to think cheating is ok.

It is even more disturbing to see comments from some of the football analysts. I can praise the analysts saying Bill Belicheat can never be the best ever, that is a fact. It is disappointing to see Eric Mangini saying that he regrets his role is uncovering Spygate. He should not and that comment is basically the equivalent of Mangini and hoping for a job with the Patriots if his broadcasting contract is not extended. If fact, Mangini's contract should be terminated after the comment that it reflects such a lack of integrity.

The Patriots road to victory reflects a dangerous lack of integrity that is present in our culture. It reflects the "millennial culture" where the desire to win and screw over others is above all else.

You might find this read interesting.

The Truth About Spygate: Punishing Success and Promoting Parity | Bleacher Report

Fans question Deflategate because just as you say our culture lacks integrity, so did that investigation. It's no secret Goodell having it in for Belichick since day one. He is not the man to be talking about integrity. If the Patriots were in fact responsible for deflating the balls, shame on them. But even the severely flawed and biased investigation revealed that were the balls inflated to the required minimum pressure, it was not probable to have altered the outcome of the game. It does not detract from the fact of Brady being the #1 QB in history, his record # of Super Bowl wins, and record Super Bowl Comeback! One place you are right though, is the cultural decline that FYI permeates the whole NFL and other professional sports.

If the Patriots cheated, they’re hardly alone | ProFootballTalk

If that is such a concern to you, then you need to hold ALL NFL teams accountable.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:03 PM

371 posts, read 526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You might find this read interesting.

The Truth About Spygate: Punishing Success and Promoting Parity | Bleacher Report

Fans question Deflategate because just as you say our culture lacks integrity, so did that investigation. It's no secret Goodell having it in for Belichick since day one. He is not the man to be talking about integrity. If the Patriots were in fact responsible for deflating the balls, shame on them. But even the severely flawed and biased investigation revealed that were the balls inflated to the required minimum pressure, it was not probable to have altered the outcome of the game. It does not detract from the fact of Brady being the #1 QB in history, his record # of Super Bowl wins, and record Super Bowl Comeback! One place you are right though, is the cultural decline that FYI permeates the whole NFL and other professional sports.

If the Patriots cheated, they’re hardly alone | ProFootballTalk

If that is such a concern to you, then you need to hold ALL NFL teams accountable.
that link you posted proves my point. Denver having a salary cap violation is a little different than taping a teams defensive signals. The towel thing with the chargers is stupid.

The Patriots will come down to earth eventually. But as long as they win, win, win, everyone looks the other way except Goodell and he is the one person who should not look the other way.

i agree that deflategate is also small and might not have affected the game, but then why did Brady destroy his phone.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts