Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 AM

110 posts, read 202,268 times

Advertisements

We have 2.5 years left on a 3 year lease and our landlords want to sell. They seem to think this sale breaks the lease. My understanding is that the lease stays in effect through its term. Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM

875 posts, read 663,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiswater View Post
We have 2.5 years left on a 3 year lease and our landlords want to sell. They seem to think this sale breaks the lease. My understanding is that the lease stays in effect through its term. Many thanks in advance.
That is correct - lease still stands through change in ownership - unless there any additional clauses/riders in the lease that speak specifically to impact of sale/change in ownership (very unlikely)

Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 AM

344 posts, read 335,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
That is correct - lease still stands through change in ownership - unless there any additional clauses/riders in the lease that speak specifically to impact of sale/change in ownership (very unlikely)
To expand on this just to give some context as to why this is generally the case:

OP, when you signed the lease, you gained what in the legal world is called an "interest" in the property. You don't own it, but the lease grants you some rights with respect to the property. Just because the person with whom you made the lease agreement with sells his "interest" (aka his ownership) in the property does not mean your interests magically vanish. Generally speaking, another party can't contract away a third party's rights without their consent. So as a third party to the sale agreement, unless you specifically (through an agreement, or wording in the lease) agree to terminate the lease, your lease is still valid, regardless of who owns the property.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
This may be helpful: http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/consume...nant-guide.pdf

I'm not sure where you live but bring your lease to a tenant assistance organization in your area, and do not let your landlord bully you. Long story but I have an employee who was recently strong armed out of their apartment by a valid lease by a landlord who had just purchased the building and wanted to condo it out. She didn't want to make waves as the tenants of the other 2 units had already agreed to move out.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 AM

550 posts, read 680,411 times
yes the lease stays in effect even if he sells it.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Why do they think that? Was there special language in the lease to that effect?

Old 02-16-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Why do they think that? Was there special language in the lease to that effect?
No, there is no special language in the lease.

The owners are a young couple who can't afford their current mortgage plus the costs associated with the mortgage and fees, upkeep, taxes, etc., on the condo they are renting to us. When I pointed out that I believed the lease will stay in force even if they sell, one of the owners became very emotional and stated that she could not guarantee that a "buyer would want the property as an investment. They would be more likely to want it as a residence."

I have compassion for their circumstances, but more compassion for ours, which is... we need to stay here for the duration of the lease.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:

The owners are a young couple who can't afford their current mortgage plus the costs associated with the mortgage and fees, upkeep, taxes, etc., on the condo they are renting to us. When I pointed out that I believed the lease will stay in force even if they sell, one of the owners became very emotional and stated that she could not guarantee that a "buyer would want the property as an investment. They would be more likely to want it as a residence."

I have compassion for their circumstances, but more compassion for ours, which is... we need to stay here for the duration of the lease.
Sounds like they're not charging you enough rent. Landlord 101 is charge a lease rate that at a minimum covers your costs of ownership.

If I were you, I would negotiate an exit payment. In exchange for breaking the lease by X date the owner will pay you $Y so that they can sell the unit to someone who wants to occupy it. Then you find yourself a new place to rent because I promise you that living in a property being foreclosed upon will be an unpleasant experience.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:

The owners are a young couple who can't afford...
...and stated that she could not guarantee that a "buyer would want the property as an investment.
They would be more likely to want it as a residence."
First... they need to receive an actual offer to buy it.
IF... that is not from another "investor" then you can cross that bridge when you all get to it.

Unless your terms are way below market a new investor/owner shouldn't have any effect on you.
But if you ARE being undercharged...

If the need arises ON THEIR PART to have a vacant unit for the sale to close...
then they'll have to make it worth your while to pack up and move before settlement.

But until they have a real offer they aren't likely to have the CASH needed to pay for your keys.

Quote:
... we need to stay here for the duration of the lease.
Get over it. Really.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:33 PM

"But until they have a real offer they aren't likely to have the CASH needed to pay for your keys....Get over it. Really.[/quote]

Great advice. I've been assuming they would have no money to make it worth our while to move but I suppose if the right buyer comes along ... they will. I'm not married to this house!

Last edited by thisiswater; 02-16-2017 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts