Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM

57 posts, read 53,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Your costs will be closer to 50% higher, no doubt. I lived in Wisconsin and Madison and Milwaukee are super cheap for the quality of life. You'll also won't see cheese curds often, or bags of milk, or any New Glarus. I wouldn't do it for less than a third increase.
Ummn...if the costs are 50% higher, so a 100k in MKE would be 150k in Natick? I just don't have enough datapoints if the employees in Natick region get paid to that range....the salaries in glassdoor, payscale etc are very generic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,820,054 times
I'm not HR but what I understand is ... companies will have a salary range for each job/each level. You may not get X% increase for COL just because it's damn expensive here in MA, but you are hoping that the salary range is higher at this new company. You should have a pretty good idea what ballpark the salary you will be offered is - some people say don't bring that up initially but at some point they have to tell you. You can probably nudge that offer by a few %, but the company isn't typically going to move up the salary significantly because they have to stick to that internal salary scale. It doesn't matter that you want 50% more than the offer just because you need that to 'maintain your lifestyle'.

Typically when considering a new job, you should be aiming for X% increase - that could be 30/50/100%/etc... depending on the hassle factor of moving, new location COL, what you are bringing to the table and how badly the new company wants you, etc.... all in combination.

Just because a really nice 4 bed/3 bath house in a good school district is $500K in XYZ town, but the same quality /size / location becomes $1.5 Million at the new location, doesn't mean you get paid 3x more. Don't we all wish that's the case.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:52 AM

649 posts, read 815,323 times
Also be aware that Boston area companies often specifically recruit out of state when they cannot offer salaries high enough to entice people who are already here. So we see alot of posts from out of state-ers making a huge expensive move for what look like 35% wage increase s, but they come to find out that it only seems like an increase on paper due to higher rent, car ins. daycare, etc. Add in the merciless commuting and your QUALITY of life goes way down even if your salary doubles.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn24 View Post
Ummn...if the costs are 50% higher, so a 100k in MKE would be 150k in Natick? I just don't have enough datapoints if the employees in Natick region get paid to that range....the salaries in glassdoor, payscale etc are very generic.
I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM

9,993 posts, read 15,634,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Also be aware that Boston area companies often specifically recruit out of state when they cannot offer salaries high enough to entice people who are already here. So we see alot of posts from out of state-ers making a huge expensive move for what look like 35% wage increase s, but they come to find out that it only seems like an increase on paper due to higher rent, car ins. daycare, etc. Add in the merciless commuting and your QUALITY of life goes way down even if your salary doubles.
Bingo.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,716,952 times
I don't think it is quite that extreme -- if your salary doubled from 15K to 30K, yeah, your QOL might go down. But if your salary went from $200K to $400K, I think your QOL would increase.

The biggest cost factor here is real estate/housing. If you don't have kids who are daycare age, then that is not an expense. Heating costs can be more. But, there are plenty of costs that really aren't more here than there are in other parts of the country. It depends significantly on what services and needs you have. If you have three kids under 5 who need daycare, the COL increase might be prohibitive. But, if your rent goes from $900 to %1500, and you have no kids, and the heat is included, many other costs might not go up at all. So if your salary nets you more than an extra $600, you could still come out ahead.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM

649 posts, read 815,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't think it is quite that extreme -- if your salary doubled from 15K to 30K, yeah, your QOL might go down. But if your salary went from $200K to $400K, I think your QOL would increase.

The biggest cost factor here is real estate/housing. If you don't have kids who are daycare age, then that is not an expense. Heating costs can be more. But, there are plenty of costs that really aren't more here than there are in other parts of the country. It depends significantly on what services and needs you have. If you have three kids under 5 who need daycare, the COL increase might be prohibitive. But, if your rent goes from $900 to %1500, and you have no kids, and the heat is included, many other costs might not go up at all. So if your salary nets you more than an extra $600, you could still come out ahead.
We are talking about the OP who is paying $950 in rent now and concerned about like-kind being $1800/mo here. I would imagine s/he falls well within the salary range for whom my statement is true. Nobody going from 2-400k/yr would be posing such questions. It is very specifically the "my job pays $65k in WI but would pay me $85k in Boston" workers that these companies are targeting. With jobs that should pay $125k but don't/can't. They max out their H1B allottment and go searching out of state.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 AM

317 posts, read 430,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

This is an important factor. We always want to talk percentages when discussing increased salaries in Boston area vs other areas, but at the end of the day, the average rent level, etc., is a fixed cost. So while a 100% increase from 15k to 30k gives you an extra 15, and a 50% increase on 100k gives you 50k etc, it is better to know a fixed dollar amount.

For example, if rents are 1,000 a month where you are, and you are finding 1,500 a month in this area, that is a 500/mo increase or 6,000 a year after taxes (so maybe 9 or 10k pay increase needed to keep rent the same). Do this for some other basic expenses as well, factor in commuting, but rent is by far the biggest, so in this scenario I would very roughly estimate that a 20k increase in salary would be an improvement in cost of living.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 AM

317 posts, read 430,617 times
OP - I didn't see anyone here suggest Craigslist, but you can find several rentals on that site. I would use Craigslist for the town of Natick in your negotiations, and show a few examples that demonstrate the increased amount of rent you'll have to pay as a starting point, and negotiate from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts