Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,301,866 times

Advertisements

Chicagoliz they wont get better if eveyone shares the same attitude as you. Oh i hope they get better but ill be damned if i do anything to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Chicagoliz they wont get better if eveyone shares the same attitude as you. Oh i hope they get better but ill be damned if i do anything to help.
So, anyone who does not move to Boston is the cause of the schools not being up to par?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,216,934 times
This program has been a band-aid. Take the best and brightest in Boston, bus them to the burbs. BPS loses their best students, keeping it difficult for test scores and statistics to improve. They revamped the system, closing schools like Hyde Park High, Dorchester High, South Boston High, etc. and started specialization schools. Let's face it, though, when your best and brightest are going to private schools, go off to "exam" schools (Boston Latin, etc.) and being bused to nearby districts, it's hard to improve test scores with what you have left. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that some kids have an opportunity, but what happens to the B students at BPS who don't have the opportunity to be rescued, and find themselves ill prepared for college (assuming they're lucky enough to go)? Someone please educate me on this.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
So, anyone who does not move to Boston is the cause of the schools not being up to par?
Yes, for those whose stated reasons for not moving to Boston is because of the schools but then simultaneously champion METCO as some amazing social justice initiative.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This program has been a band-aid. Take the best and brightest in Boston, bus them to the burbs. BPS loses their best students, keeping it difficult for test scores and statistics to improve. They revamped the system, closing schools like Hyde Park High, Dorchester High, South Boston High, etc. and started specialization schools. Let's face it, though, when your best and brightest are going to private schools, go off to "exam" schools (Boston Latin, etc.) and being bused to nearby districts, it's hard to improve test scores with what you have left. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that some kids have an opportunity, but what happens to the B students at BPS who don't have the opportunity to be rescued, and find themselves ill prepared for college (assuming they're lucky enough to go)? Someone please educate me on this.
The biggest issue with METCO is it's not equally available to every BPS student. If you are white, no METCO for you.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:26 PM

23,112 posts, read 18,253,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
No but they aren't helping anything either.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Re

Yeah it's really interesting to me. I watch people i work with spend 800k on a shoebox sized condo in JP because that is hip and hot but OMG they are moving out of there as soon as their precious snowflake turns 5 because god forbid they use BPS. Then these are the same people who go to these women's marches and black lives matter protests. They're such a joke. In one breath they're like, people of color experience such injustice...oh but wait i dont want my kids going to school with these kids. Sooo...they add to it too.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yes, for those whose stated reasons for not moving to Boston is because of the schools but then simultaneously champion METCO as some amazing social justice initiative.
I didn't move to Boston itself because 1) I couldn't afford it and 2) it would have been a longer commute for my husband.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No but they aren't helping anything either.
So, you live in Boston?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Default Re

I do indeed live in boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts