U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM

9,748 posts, read 17,715,293 times

Advertisements

"I've lived in _________ my whole life..." translates roughly to "I completely lack anything resembling perspective." I cringe when I see it prefacing a rant on C-D, and it sets the (already low) bar even lower for Turtleboy's bit of investigative journalism here. And for the record, I like Worcester- it isn't bad. I'm not sure why he has the chip on his shoulder to begin with. Probably because, like he said, he's never lived anywhere else.

Just about every picture is snapped from the window of a car passing through on a main road. Not exactly a great way to really get a feel for a place. Anyway, some of my favorites:

I’m not gonna lie, I was expecting much worse. New Bedford barely made the list. I feel like this is true of most people who know enough about the city to have a preconceived notion, but not enough to understand that it has a few features that set it apart from the standard mill town (the beautiful Whaling District, excellent coastline in the South End, etc.)

Charlemont, which has a population of about 1,000. And presumably 990 of them live in one gigantic trailer park on Route 2.
You would presume that when you clearly didn't stray from route 2 (every shot is of the same little trailer park).

And of course people chillin: because, you know, if you don't live in a single family with a great deck, patio, and lusciously landscaped yard, its yucky if you relax outside (and one of the "chillin" pictures is clearly two guys changing a tire- double yuck).

or unused grills, which can be used for imaginary Adams barbecues: because why wouldn't anyone be grilling in Northern Berkshire County in the middle of the winter at the exact moment Turtleboy was passing through taking snapshots from his car window?

And with a skyline like this, is there any wonder why Chris Herren got addicted to oxycotins? just in case you needed a reminder of the type of person the author is.

When people think of Boston they think it’s this emerald city where rich people go shopping on Newbury Street Well, that might be what they think if they've never left Worcester.

And that's as far as I could get without the page crashing on me. It should be noted that this "article" is about 2 years old, although I doubt much has changed since then as far as Turtleboy goes. Still trying so hard to be Barstool (speaking of low bars), still not even close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM

9,748 posts, read 17,715,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If we can be honest many of these towns that are listed here have 3 things in common. A majority of minorities that don't seem to care about their neighborhoods. An underlying drug problem and poverty.
Ah, the king of stirring the pot with unsubstantiated claims. The vast majority of these towns are majority white by a significant margin. Why the hell would you even make a remark about minorities? Drugs and poverty were more than enough. Lack of education, and a culture that doesn't embrace education is another thing you could have said. Minorities aren't the problem.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:39 PM

461 posts, read 441,841 times
I knew MA had some bad parts but now that I look at those pictures, its not too far off from Detroit, yet the media focuses on Detroit all the time. I think there needs to be an inside look at a lot of these other places because now that Detroit is being focused on, its actually improving. MA has hid these towns forever or the USA has, one or the other. Nobody ever wanted to cover it on the media and most of my money says that many of those neighborhoods were white.

BTW Lowell is nicer than a lot of these places listed. Sure Lowell has its bad, but its actually one of the better options out of all these. Some of these actually seem like hellholes in something close to what you'd consider Children of the corn to be in. I notice this countrys media never tries to put any spotlight on any kind of white struggling area, its only the blacks.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,443,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Ah, the king of stirring the pot with unsubstantiated claims. The vast majority of these towns are majority white by a significant margin. Why the hell would you even make a remark about minorities? Drugs and poverty were more than enough. Lack of education, and a culture that doesn't embrace education is another thing you could have said. Minorities aren't the problem.
Thank you for your two posts lrfox, and your perspective. As you can see from the post below yours, apparently that perspective has been lost, yet again.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM

461 posts, read 441,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Thank you for your two posts lrfox, and your perspective. As you can see from the post below yours, apparently that perspective has been lost, yet again.
Its lost even more because people don't like to believe they have their own trash that make their own communities in their own way look like Detroit. I was shocked at some of those pictures but only because I never been to some of those towns or visited them so few that I wouldn't think they were totally collapsing like in the doomsday scenario sense but ya, since times are getting worse its really not too surprising. Revere for instance has always been bad but now it looks like Detroit. Revere was one of the ones I knew on that list most as I recall seeing a lot of far out looking white ghettos I never even been to. Now I know why.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 AM

10,278 posts, read 4,055,743 times
Boston police make five gun-related arrests in 12-hour span - The Boston Globe

5 men arrested on gun charges in 12 hours with ties to Roxbury, Dorchester and Hyde Park ages 18,19,19,19, and 21...

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM

636 posts, read 507,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston police make five gun-related arrests in 12-hour span - The Boston Globe

5 men arrested on gun charges in 12 hours with ties to Roxbury, Dorchester and Hyde Park ages 18,19,19,19, and 21...

70 years ago,these were upper class, wealthy/upper class Boston neighborhoods. Brockton in the 1950s had some of the highest property values in Massachusetts. How is it they changed?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,443,131 times
So really...What's the ****ing point of this thread?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM

906 posts, read 1,154,820 times
While it has digressed, the point I suppose was to comment on how there are at least two (maybe five if you really get in to it) New Englands. To name some of the well-known perceptions, there's the bucolic and upscale, and of course the urbane and intellectual Boston area, then there's the post-industrial redheaded stepchildren cities and towns. Many from outside the region and even many inside our affluent bubbles are either truly ignorant of these places or have enough privilege to simply and intentionally ignore or denigrate them.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 10,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
I think it is important to illustrate this. Provincial assumptions happen in metro areas too, not just rural ones. I remember when I was going to UMass that so many drone suburban kids from 128 belt didn't even realize Holyoke was 10 miles away and the poorest city in the state, and a real city (if small) that feels and acts like one. Some diversity class I had to take, we went on a field trip there to tour a community development org and it opened some eyes. I literally heard statements after it like, "Until this trip I literally thought Western Mass was nothin but cows and fahhhms." I suppose that's what it seems like if all you do is sit in the dorm towers doing coke and looking out at the fields of Hadley.
Ugh, you're talking about Embracing Diversity aren't you? That class was painful to take with other Umass students. Someone in my lecture audibly gasped when they found out black men are three times more likely to go to jail than white men.

I student taught in Holyoke but grew up in Everett and did volunteer work in Dorchester. Holyoke was worse off than my own experience, and some of the stories I heard from students were heartbeaking but I wasn't like I was in a whole new universe or anything. The kids were resourceful and kind to one another, which is more than what I can say for my experience student teaching in Amherst where the kids were more well-off but could barely tie their own shoes in the 4th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts