Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 17,319 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to buy a new construction in Devens,MA. I go to school Boston and my husband works in Nashua. We have a 4 year old. We are looking for good schools and Devens shares school with Harvard. We are also interested in a new construction in Bolton. We want a community with young kids and parents. Initially we thought about Westford. But it was too pricey for us. Now am confused between Devens and Bolton. I am looking for honest feedback on the two towns - people, community, schools, activities and overall attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 03:44 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Bolton is a nice town, trending upscale. Not sure about Devens but if your child can go to Harvard schools, that's a real bonus. Harvard is rural and wealthy.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Bolton is a nice town, trending upscale. Not sure about Devens but if your child can go to Harvard schools, that's a real bonus. Harvard is rural and wealthy.
Thanks for the feedback.
Can Groton be an other option?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Flora View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Can Groton be an other option?
I would think so.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Hello,

We are looking to buy a new construction in Devens,MA. I go to school Boston and my husband works in Nashua. We have a 4 year old. We are looking for good schools and Devens shares school with Harvard. We are also interested in a new construction in Bolton. We want a community with young kids and parents. Initially we thought about Westford. But it was too pricey for us. Now am confused between Devens and Bolton. I am looking for honest feedback on the two towns - people, community, schools, activities and overall attitude.
You might want to fact check if Devens does indeed go to Harvard schools. I remember a big debate around 10 years ago when Ayer and Devens tried to merge with Harvard and Harvard did not want Ayer and Devens kids in their schools. Harvard fought back hard and won, at that time. If the school systems have regionalized, I would hope the Devens kids are not treated with second class status.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You might want to fact check if Devens does indeed go to Harvard schools. I remember a big debate around 10 years ago when Ayer and Devens tried to merge with Harvard and Harvard did not want Ayer and Devens kids in their schools. Harvard fought back hard and won, at that time. If the school systems have regionalized, I would hope the Devens kids are not treated with second class status.
Thank you for the response. I am very sure that Devens kids go to Harvard schools. But what you told about treating kids different got me thinking. Ya it might happen that way. But i don't know anyone who lives in Devens, with whom I can talk about this. Do you suggest any other areas with good school system?? Our budget is $420k.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Thank you for the response. I am very sure that Devens kids go to Harvard schools. But what you told about treating kids different got me thinking. Ya it might happen that way. But i don't know anyone who lives in Devens, with whom I can talk about this. Do you suggest any other areas with good school system?? Our budget is $420k.
Shrewsbury, Westborough, Acton.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Shrewsbury, Westborough, Acton.
not new construction in any of these towns though

Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
not new construction in any of these towns though
There are a ton of new-construction cookie cutter Toll Bros. condos in Westborough, including a few under $400K.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
If your husband is the primary earner and plans to continue working in NH, do consider Hollis, NH. Excellent schools, lower entry cost than comparable MA towns (Groton, Harvard, etc.), and you can take the bus option in Nashua for Boston access. Additionally, the high property taxes would likely be offset by your husband not having to pay MA income tax. Commute into Nashua is <15 minutes.

Other towns I'd consider with the metrics being quality schools and access to Nashua/Bos: Harvard, Groton (near Ayer or Littleton lines for rail/highway access), Dunstable, Littleton, Bolton, Stow.

Once you start getting down into the Shewsbury/'boroughs area, a commute to Nashua starts to become a 60+ minute drive depending on traffic patterns. 495 is not the free flowing expressway of prior decades.

Deven's an interesting concept, but having spent a great deal of time in the area, I find it all a bit odd and isolating. The town is a sprawl of old military roads, huge pharma/tech manufacturing buildings, and a small batch of high end housing starts. 10-15 years from now it bloom into an amazing community, but in it's current form it feels more "Ayer" than "Harvard", despite the school access. If entry costs, access, and excellent schools are the priority, worse compromises could be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts