Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,736,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Lived in Boston for a little bit when I was younger. I'm fine in Connecticut. Hartford is the 2nd city of New England in terms of the economy, jobs, and traffic. Overall it's much simpler. I would rather belly flop into a pool of shard glass than move back...
Are you sure about that? It's lagged behind Springfield in terms of job growth. Traffic is much easier I'll give you that. City of Hartford might file for bankruptcy in the next year. Malloy can attempt to throw a bone but he isn't going to be governor next year. In terms of education they are nearly 25 years behind Mass. Mass had the 1993 reforms. CT is trying to go though them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,067,010 times
Quote:
. I would rather belly flop into a pool of shard glass than move back...
I can set this up for you

Old 03-24-2017, 11:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,320,447 times
Quote:
Overall it's much simpler. I would rather belly flop into a pool of shard glass than move back...
If that is because cost if living is much higher, ok. But for any other reason this seems absurd, no offense. With urban living, simplicity comes from simply driving less, not less traffic.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM

209 posts, read 167,587 times
I enjoy it. However I hate the cost of living. It absolutely disgusts me. I hope in the next 20 years I get an opportunity to leave for good. No point to being a wage slave just to get by when you only have one life to live

Old 03-27-2017, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,577 times
I was born and raised in a small town and cities can feel overwhelming and unmanageable to me. I love living in Boston because it offers the perks of being in a city while offering a comfortable, community atmosphere. Since it's relatively small, it's pretty quick to get from any point in the city to the next. I can even walk across the whole city in only a couple of hours. I enjoy all the benefits of living in a large city (career options, ability to meet new people, tons of destinations and events to experience) but also benefit from feeling close and connected to people. The city is also saturated with students and young professionals, so there is a lot of opportunity for kinship if that's the crowd you're interested in.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,858,432 times
I grew up in Wellesley but I enjoy living in other parts of the country, I am frugal so I enjoy paying less in taxes and cost of living is cheaper. I do miss New England but mostly just Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots games. I do not miss the climate.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 12,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I grew up here, went to college here, tons of jobs in my field here, and frankly I like the change of seasons. All my friends and family are here
Exactly how I feel as well.

Even with all its traffic, the Boston metro area is still manageable to me. I would have been eaten alive if I lived in NYC.

Pros: City feel without being too overwhelmed, close to the Cape and to areas in Western Mass with beautiful fall foliage, higher standards of public school education

Cons: Man is it EXPENSIVE. Childcare and housing being the big ones. Watching House Hunters on HGTV and seeing the massive mansions people can get in other parts of the country for the same amount that a 1 bedroom condo costs around here just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh and then sob a little and then laugh again.

But then I remember they don't have the Sox, they don't have the Esplanade, or Cape Cod, good seafood, a growing economy, or dozens of colleges and universities with thousands of smart, interesting people around. I also love the historic significance of the Boston area - people in my high school could trace ancestors to the Mayflower. We CREATED America!

Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM

428 posts, read 826,246 times
I've never lived in Boston ( I was raised in Hartford CT) but Boston is my favorite city, so I never understand the negativity you find towards it on this board. One flaw I find among New Englanders is the need to feel "better" and thus overly focus on the negative .

Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,516,000 times
Living in Boston will always be a figment of my imagination given my field. I imagine it is pretty great except the cost of living is outrageous given that in many areas it's a city of old dilapidated houses that have seen no better care than many I see around me in Athol. Yes you get access to great cultural vitality but sure don't necessarily get what you pay for at all in terms of house for the money. That would make me angry - it looks and feels like a working class neighborhood because that's who it was built for and traditionally occupied by, but the insane price tag tells you these dingy old lead-plated palaces are no longer available to that caste.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,405,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Are you sure about that? It's lagged behind Springfield in terms of job growth. Traffic is much easier I'll give you that. City of Hartford might file for bankruptcy in the next year. Malloy can attempt to throw a bone but he isn't going to be governor next year. In terms of education they are nearly 25 years behind Mass. Mass had the 1993 reforms. CT is trying to go though them now.
Connecticut schools are juuuust behind Mass. Schools, they are maybe 5 years behin Mass. I worked in a middle school in Hartford in undergrad and I work in a middle school Boston school now. Same difference. Please dont try say Springfield is better than Hartford. Hartford is more blighted but its overall a better city than Springfield ESPECIALLY ECONOMICALLY. Its not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts