Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

My kids have April vacation coming up and our circumstances are such that we don't know if we'll be able to go somewhere for a vacation (small or big). We were thinking of going to the Cape for a few days, and I've never been to Martha's Vineyard, so I was toying with maybe going there for a day - possibly staying overnight and then coming back and heading up the Cape to explore more.

I know that going to MV in the summer requires planning way in advance for the ferries, so I thought it might be a good time to go without having to worry about that, and to just get a sense of what it is like, etc. Would this be worthwhile? Would there be enough to see and do that early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
You still need reservations for the ferry if you're bringing a car.

I've been to MV in March and it's quiet. There's people around but it's quiet. April vacation week will probably be busy because it's April vacation week.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You still need reservations for the ferry if you're bringing a car.

I've been to MV in March and it's quiet. There's people around but it's quiet. April vacation week will probably be busy because it's April vacation week.
I already looked at the ferry and there is availability. I just wanted to make sure there would be some stuff to do that early in the season. I'm not sure we'll ever get there in the summer, given how far in advance I've heard you need reservations.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
That early in the year I would definitely want to bring a car over. I wouldn't doubt that a lot will likely still be closed and it obviously will not be beach weather either. So, you'll want to be able to get around. I've been to MV in the middle of February and there's plenty still open. Not as much as during the summer but also far fewer people and shorter lines.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 AM

513 posts, read 646,740 times
We went in May before Memorial Day weekend and some of the attractions were closed (Carousel in Oak Bluffs, some restaurants), but there is still a lot to do. Most of the restaurants in Oak Bluffs were open, about half of the restaurants in Edgartown were open. We still had a great time checking out the island and the Felix Neck Sanctuary. If your family is into biking, you can ride your bikes all around the island.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:38 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
My suggestion would be to save the money and time for a trip to the Vineyard and spend it on something fun on Cape- boat tour, seal tour, whale watch, indoor water park (if the weather is lousy), the inflatable park(if the weather is great) or dune buggy tour off the top of my head. It would really stink to book a trip to the Vineyard and get lousy weather. If you keep a flexible schedule you can work around that on Cape. To save a few bucks subscribe to the Cape Cod Daily Deal. Before the season starts rolling they have all sorts of 1/2 price deals for attractions and restaurants. Enjoy!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 PM

Thanks, Everyone. I signed up for the Cape Cod Daily Deal. I'd still like to go to MV, if it's do-able, because I really don't know when we'll get there, and I at least would like to see it. We typically do a family trip to the beach down on the Outer Banks of NC, and also sometimes at the NJ shore. So, any New England beaches would most likely be day trips for us, probably planned not significantly in advance. And I hear the ferries need to be reserved far in advance, so to get to MV ever, I think we may need to check it out this time, or we may never go.

Love the idea about bikes - my husband and I just got new bikes, although I don't know how my 7 year old would do. We may be limited as far as bicycling.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Thanks, Everyone. I signed up for the Cape Cod Daily Deal. I'd still like to go to MV, if it's do-able, because I really don't know when we'll get there, and I at least would like to see it. We typically do a family trip to the beach down on the Outer Banks of NC, and also sometimes at the NJ shore. So, any New England beaches would most likely be day trips for us, probably planned not significantly in advance. And I hear the ferries need to be reserved far in advance, so to get to MV ever, I think we may need to check it out this time, or we may never go.

Love the idea about bikes - my husband and I just got new bikes, although I don't know how my 7 year old would do. We may be limited as far as bicycling.
If you're not bringing a car then you don't need a reservation. The car reservation is the hard part. Hotel reservations are probably slightly less difficult. Maybe just make a day of it? I'm not sure if the rental places will be open yet, but maybe rent some mopeds or bicycles for the day and do some exploring. Even if you just hang out in Oak Bluffs for the day you'll get a nice flavor for the island.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you're not bringing a car then you don't need a reservation. The car reservation is the hard part. Hotel reservations are probably slightly less difficult. Maybe just make a day of it? I'm not sure if the rental places will be open yet, but maybe rent some mopeds or bicycles for the day and do some exploring. Even if you just hang out in Oak Bluffs for the day you'll get a nice flavor for the island.
How easy is it to get around without a car?

Old 03-28-2017, 05:59 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
How easy is it to get around without a car?
Impossible if it's not Summer. Even in the Summer a car makes life 1,000x easier despite the congestion. Cabs are insanely expensive because they can be and because gas is very expensive. The bus routes are pretty limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts