U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:22 AM

18,481 posts, read 10,407,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Impossible if it's not Summer. Even in the Summer a car makes life 1,000x easier despite the congestion. Cabs are insanely expensive because they can be and because gas is very expensive. The bus routes are pretty limited.
This is extremely bad information. The MVY bus service is excellent. In the summer, it's pointless to have a car. The winter schedule through late-April is about 1/3 the frequency on most routes so you have to plan for it but it's still really easy to get around. Most people never leave the western end of the island where most of the people live. Vineyard Haven, Oak Bluffs, Edgartown, and South Beach are the common tourist locations. Even in the winter, it's easy to get between those by bus.

April can be pretty iffy. The water temperatures are still below 50F so there are a lot of raw days. You might luck out. You might not. Ferry service is so frequent that you're probably better off day tripping over from the Cape. It's not like ferry parking will be an issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,921,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is extremely bad information. The MVY bus service is excellent. In the summer, it's pointless to have a car. The winter schedule through late-April is about 1/3 the frequency on most routes so you have to plan for it but it's still really easy to get around. Most people never leave the western end of the island where most of the people live. Vineyard Haven, Oak Bluffs, Edgartown, and South Beach are the common tourist locations. Even in the winter, it's easy to get between those by bus.
Most people live on the Eastern end and without a car you are basically confined to the bus routes, with their very limited schedule. This works fine if you're an adult and don't mind killing time waiting for a bus to get you from point A to point B. If you have kids, it's not viable to wait around for a bus to hop around to the few places the bus goes to.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM

12,253 posts, read 13,556,597 times
I frequently go to MV with kids, and I sure wouldn't want to do it without a car. Mine are younger, but the only way I'd head over without a car was for a day trip to OB where we would stay around the area where the ferry landed and maybe hit up Circuit Ave and ride the Merry-go-Round and do dinner at the Lookout.

Anything more than that, I take a car. Cost is about $160-170ish round trip (plus tickets for people) but being able to load up with things makes it worth it. Gas isn't too bad. I usually top off the tank before heading over and even staying a week, I've never used a full tank of gas. Plus having a car means you can usually explore more of the island without being dependent on the bus, or go play a round of golf, or just go for a nice drive around the island wherever you want. If you have a 4WD Suv, you can even drive onto South Beach, which tends to have the warmest waters (and usually the highest surf).

The bus service isn't bad at all...but I just prefer having a car there with me.

April though...might be a bit raw/chilly.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,239,875 times
Take your car.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:53 AM

15,977 posts, read 10,534,175 times
There is a bus on MV that is a hop on hop off type and it goes to all the towns but I don't know if ti runs year round.

MV to me is all about sight seeing and nature. It is nice to follow the winding road out to Gay Head (Aquinnah) and check out the light house that was recently moved. That is probably the most photographed spot on MV.

Each town has it's own feel and vibe. Tisbury is the main port for the steamship and in season the boats also go to Oaks Bluff from Woods Hole. Oaks Bluff is the most happening town on the island with a busy working harbor, gift shops and eateries. My favorite places for food is 'the News from America" which is in Edgartown and "The Plane View" at the MV airport.

Book the ferry and take your car. It is part of the experience of island life. Do bring warm clothes so you can check out the beaches like the amazing South Beach. Bring a kite to fly it at Ocean Park in Oaks Bluff.
Before you go watch the original Jaws that was filmed on MV and you might recognize some spots when you drive around.
SO much to see but don't miss your ferry because that is a major pain.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 PM

3,932 posts, read 2,531,250 times
Just an update for anyone who might see this thread.

We just got back, spent a little over a day on MV and a day in Provincetown. We took the car to MV, and we were glad we did -- it was very chilly, and we drove all around the island, including going out to Gay Head to see the cliffs and lighthouse, and we also went to an Alpaca farm. (It wasn't necessarily what my husband and I would have chosen to do, but the kids wanted to go and they liked it well enough.) It was nice to be able to drive all around, although I think in the summer I'd leave the car and go with the bus if I were just going for a day or two. We stayed at a great hotel in Vineyard Haven that was walkable to a lot. (Mansion House) I'd love to stay there again but it's probably too expensive for my taste in the summer, although it had a nice rate in April.

We did eat at the Newes from America -- it had been recommended several times, and it was great for lunch.

Most of the ice cream places were closed, but there was enough open for a fun trip. That said, I'm not sure I'd go again in April, having done it. But it was worthwhile to do so we could see it and get a feel for it, since we had never been.

Provincetown was nice, too, although again, I don't know that I'd go again in April. We arrived late afternoon/early evening, and almost everything was closed. We did find a great restaurant that was still open and we all enjoyed it. (Fanizzi's) The next day, after 10/11:00 a lot more was open, so again, it was worthwhile.

Thanks, everyone, for all your input!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 AM

15,977 posts, read 10,534,175 times
I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip Chicagoliz. it was wise to take your car over to MV.

April is tough to gauge weather wise. We were up to Ptown Monday to watch the whales and it was a nice day in the 60's. We went back Wednesday with some visiting family and it was blowing hard with temps in the 40's.
That is New England for ya. We did see a bunch of whales from the beach both days.

Provincetown explodes with people in the Summer and that is something to see so you will have to come back someday in season.
Did you climb up the Pilgrim Monument in Ptown?

Do come back someday.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM

3,932 posts, read 2,531,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Did you climb up the Pilgrim Monument in Ptown?

Do come back someday.
We did. In the morning, it was so foggy that you couldn't even see the top of the monument, so we weren't sure if we'd be able to do it. But there was a brief sunny window and we went then.

I would like to go back. I'm thinking it might be best to do a day trip via the fast ferry from Boston. Although my son is saying he doesn't want to go back because we've had three ticks -- my younger son had a tick in his hair the first night. Then there was one in the car. And when we got home my older son had one on his stomach. This is a bit of a mystery because he had on two shirts and a jacket, and we weren't walking in any wooded areas or near any weeds -- mostly on Commercial Street and we did go to a couple of the beaches, but we weren't very close to any of the seagrass on the dunes. So I'm stumped as to how we got them. I'll have to bring the tick repellant next time.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM

8,398 posts, read 12,711,415 times
Martha's Vineyard is crawling with ticks. My SIL has gotten Lyme disease 3 times from his trips there.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM

7,189 posts, read 10,984,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Martha's Vineyard is crawling with ticks. My SIL has gotten Lyme disease 3 times from his trips there.
My MIL used to have a house in Edgartown near Katama Beach. When on the island we'd spend at least an hour everyday picking the ticks off their dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts