Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM

24,523 posts, read 18,044,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I would even suggest downtown Springfield if kids aren't in the picture. They are some really nice apartments downtown and Union station will be opening soon with commuter rail service into Hartford 12 trips up and back daily. That might be something to think about moving forward.
Can you put some details around this? My metrics for "really nice" might be quite different from you. To me, really nice is modern kitchen & bath, 10 foot ceilings or loft apartment, secure building with secure garage parking, high walkability index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,757,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Can you put some details around this? My metrics for "really nice" might be quite different from you. To me, really nice is modern kitchen & bath, 10 foot ceilings or loft apartment, secure building with secure garage parking, high walkability index.
Well it depends really.

You have park st lofts
Natural light, heated parking featured in new Park Street Lofts in Springfield | masslive.com

I'm here
Springfield Apartments | Stockbridge Court

But there's also Silver Brick
Live in the Heart of Springfield

Silverbrick doesn't have parking but the SRA parking is near by. Park St lofts just opened. Stockbridge has been around for 35+ years.

Gradually more market rate is coming on. I've heard the former Kitterage building might become apartments. Court Square building just had new glass put in and supposedly that's where MGM will put some apartments, that and the old school district building across from central library.

There's a possibility that the old Brookings school might be made to apartments.

Down the line I think we're going to see many of the small convince stores close if the pilot programs for EBT online use continue. The general default for revenue is housing. Developments are tilting it to mixed if not market rate.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 16,859 times
Thanks both,

We have been looking at some apartments in West Springfield, and the neighbourhoods as well as apartments, are something we are bit reluctant to rent.

If we can get some information on what neighborhoods, streets to choose from in west Springfield or Agawam to get to the safer side of the town, i will much appreciate it. We are mostly picking apartments from rental listings and visiting them, so basically we need some local inputs. East Longmeadow, Longmeadow are out of question because of rental.

I have also heard, north part of Holyoke is also safe and more affluent but I am not sure I see any rentals of that.

thanks

Old 05-20-2017, 01:38 AM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
From what people are saying, the Highlands area of Holyoke is okay. You'd be on rte 91 so you could go in either direction. Proximity to Northampton for restaurants, shopping, entertainment and fun too. Getting to Amherst probably wouldn't be that bad but getting to Hartford would be a long haul. Maybe that's as good as it gets because the two locations really aren't anywhere near each other.

Alternatively, what do others think of some location by which one of them could take 84 to Hartford and something else to Amherst? Somewhere near the Mass Pike. Or is that too inconvenient to Amherst?

Old 05-20-2017, 04:58 AM

24,523 posts, read 18,044,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
From what people are saying, the Highlands area of Holyoke is okay.
It would be painful to commute to Hartford from the bottom of Mount Tom every day. The Hartford MSA is 1.2 million people so there's big traffic. Once commuter rail happens, it may be a different story but today, the rush hour midpoint between Hartford and Amherst is south of Springfield.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,757,532 times
Quote:
It would be painful to commute to Hartford from the bottom of Mount Tom every day. The Hartford MSA is 1.2 million people so there's big traffic. Once commuter rail happens, it may be a different story but today, the rush hour midpoint between Hartford and Amherst is south of Springfield.
I don't think going south is that bad but going north from hartford to springfield is in the morning due to the I-91 work. Say what you will about MassDOT but they've treated this project pretty well. I think most of it will be done by the spring of next year.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 16,859 times
Quote:
Yes, I realise Holyoke would be a long travel for my spouse. Hence, I am interested in somewhere in the west Springfield area. Need to know about the good neighborhood to be able to shortlist rentals, either in an apartment complex or family-owned houses.

Most good apartments in Enfield, on the other hand, seem to be approx. 1500 which seem exorbitant, but which I am also looking at even though it is farther from Amherst. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

And thanks for responding to the query and I might keep coming back to it with newer questions so thanks again for all the suggestions to everyone in advance.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,086,486 times
In West Springfield I would stay away from the area of Main and Union streets and the memorial avenue area. The streets off Elm street are quite , most of the streets off rt 20 are also fine. I'd generally stay away from complexes though and try to stick to 2-3 family homes.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:32 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,946,327 times
Longmeadow or Enfield Ct.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Longmeadow or Enfield Ct.
They've already said they can't afford Enfield and anyway it's a long commute to Amherst. Longmeadow is mostly home owners, not rentals. Probably the ideal location, right in between, would be Springfield but it isn't a very desirable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts