Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
There's something to be said for free play and socialization with peers in a non-structured environment. I guess I don't understand the need for a kindergartener to be doing academics after school. Is this what people do with their kids now? Genuinely asking. I have a child entering K.
For us the after-school nanny allows us to shift activities from weekends to weekday afternoons where we can. Our 5-year-old and our 3-year-old have to choose 4 activities each because that's all we can feasibly fit into our weekend schedules while still having a good chunk of family time (and a date night!). With the after-school nanny starting this fall, we've been able to shift 2 of the activities to weekday afternoons so our nanny can take them there and I can pick them up. This has really made a huge impact on our fall weekend schedule. We now have more time to pick up a couple of classes they love on Saturdays, but didn't make the "top 4" list. Or we could have more down time.

There may be a point where we start doing more academic-focused things after school, but not right now. I actually think some of the activities they are doing now really help them academically. Our 5-year-old plays piano--she started when she was 3, so she's pretty good now and can read music, including how many beats per measure the music calls for, how many notes per beat depending on the type of note, etc. Those are great building blocks for math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Let them have fun and play!

Seriously.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:55 PM

317 posts, read 331,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
For us the after-school nanny allows us to shift activities from weekends to weekday afternoons where we can. Our 5-year-old and our 3-year-old have to choose 4 activities each because that's all we can feasibly fit into our weekend schedules while still having a good chunk of family time (and a date night!). With the after-school nanny starting this fall, we've been able to shift 2 of the activities to weekday afternoons so our nanny can take them there and I can pick them up. This has really made a huge impact on our fall weekend schedule. We now have more time to pick up a couple of classes they love on Saturdays, but didn't make the "top 4" list. Or we could have more down time.

There may be a point where we start doing more academic-focused things after school, but not right now. I actually think some of the activities they are doing now really help them academically. Our 5-year-old plays piano--she started when she was 3, so she's pretty good now and can read music, including how many beats per measure the music calls for, how many notes per beat depending on the type of note, etc. Those are great building blocks for math.
Totally agree. I am going back to work in fall, but doing "mother's hours" because I like being able to take them to activities during the week instead of on the weekends. I'm not sure I could have afforded to hire anyone (and my son has special needs which is a whole other can of worms). My comment was regarding my surprise that a parent would have misgivings about an after-school program for a 5 year old due to the lack of academic rigor. When my kids get home from school they have free play with each other, go to a sport/activity, or have a play date. What would an ideal after-school program for a kindergartener look like to the OP? Everyone at a desk working on their alphabet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts