Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 17,335 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have sold our home in Melrose, MA and are deciding where to go next. I just posted about why we are selling and options for our next move, but we are considering staying in Melrose and I want to have a specific discussion about Melrose. We love it here for the great community feel, walkable town center, well-maintained historic homes, convenience to the city, and other amenities via Rt 1, 93, 95, Fellsway, etc. Really, so much we love. We might be able to find what we want here (4+ BR, 2.5+ bath, 2,800 sq ft, .5 acre lot, 2 car garage) but it will be hard and competitive.

As my husband and I look to start a family and set down roots, we are wondering about the long-term attraction and viability of Melrose. So many of the homes here have small square footage and very small lots. It seems like a lot of young families stay here for 5-7 years and then realize they need more space. Should we just take the leap and move away now? Melrose is so extremely attractive for young families that houses usually have multiple offers and most go for over asking. We know the market is really competitive, and are worried about over-paying just to stay in Melrose and have the home not be a good long-term investment for us. I can't imagine that this market can sustain much longer, but alas, we are looking for a home now.

I obviously know what makes Melrose a great town because I live here and experience it daily, but I suppose I would love anyones thoughts on why it would be a great place to stay for a long time (10 years or so). Are there any long term residents that can share their experiences? Alternatively, any young families that are thinking about leaving? Would love to hear everyones thoughts on Melrose!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 07:36 AM

126 posts, read 123,638 times
My hometown, grew up on the Easr Side in Upham Park, great place to have grown up in the 60's and 70's. I was very lucky . I agree with your post. I think it will continue to be a desirable place to live so if you choose to stay, you should be fine with your investment. Fabulous downtown, close to Boston via Rte 1 and too a slightly lesser degree, 93. Commuter rail and Oak Grove T..........to me, the drawback for younger family is the school system, for a wealthier town, it's only average and should be much better. If you choose to move, Wakefield and Stoneham and for a bit more $$ Lynnfield and Winchester.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
My hometown, grew up on the Easr Side in Upham Park, great place to have grown up in the 60's and 70's. I was very lucky . I agree with your post. I think it will continue to be a desirable place to live so if you choose to stay, you should be fine with your investment. Fabulous downtown, close to Boston via Rte 1 and too a slightly lesser degree, 93. Commuter rail and Oak Grove T..........to me, the drawback for younger family is the school system, for a wealthier town, it's only average and should be much better. If you choose to move, Wakefield and Stoneham and for a bit more $$ Lynnfield and Winchester.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I agree that the schools should be much better. It blew my mind when the city voted against the override in support of the schools last year.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM

652 posts, read 749,860 times
Sneaky good place to live. Easy to city, Camberville, route 1 or 128. Turners Seafood is a gem.

I wouldn't sweat the schoool system too much, with proper parenting your kids will do well in Melrose. I think there is merit to not being in one of the pressure cooker school systems anyway.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 PM

50 posts, read 55,233 times
Great place to live, the elementary schools seem to be good, not sure about the grade schools, but the high school doesn't get good reviews. Worst case, Malden Catholic High.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:59 PM

304 posts, read 774,235 times
I have lived in Melrose for 20 years and my house has almost quadrupled in value over that time - and has appreciated about 25% in the last couple of years alone. With the tech and biotech companies in Boston all booming, and companies like GE moving downtown, I think that any town with an easy commute to Boston and/or Cambridge will just increase in value. Melrose has 3 commuter rail stops and the end of the orange line; Melrose fits the bill for people who want an easier commute. So while I am not sure if the current housing boom in Melrose has experienced will continue at such a crazy pace, I am pretty sure that housing will remain pretty stable. It was pretty stable during the last crisis.

It is definitely hard to find the type of house you are looking for in Melrose, but I think you would have to travel pretty far outside of the 95 corridor to easily get all that. I guess it depends on where you work?

As for schools, Melrose was not always a wealthier town - it has been traditionally pretty blue collar - and only recently has become more upscale. When we first moved, I was also worried that the schools were not "top 10" status but knew great and interested parents who already had kids in the schools who urged me to enroll them at least thru elementary school. So I did, and figured if things were not good we could always move or send to private schools. But my kids loved elementary school, then the middle school, then the high school so there was never any need to switch. And as the town adds more affluent families the schools have gotten better (the elementary school my kids attended used to be a 7 when they went there - now it is a 9, whatever that means).

Melrose is such a great town - we weren't panning in staying either but 20 years later we are still enjoying the town and the bonus is our house is more valuable than we ever thought it would be.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown_mama View Post
I have lived in Melrose for 20 years and my house has almost quadrupled in value over that time - and has appreciated about 25% in the last couple of years alone. With the tech and biotech companies in Boston all booming, and companies like GE moving downtown, I think that any town with an easy commute to Boston and/or Cambridge will just increase in value. Melrose has 3 commuter rail stops and the end of the orange line; Melrose fits the bill for people who want an easier commute. So while I am not sure if the current housing boom in Melrose has experienced will continue at such a crazy pace, I am pretty sure that housing will remain pretty stable. It was pretty stable during the last crisis.

It is definitely hard to find the type of house you are looking for in Melrose, but I think you would have to travel pretty far outside of the 95 corridor to easily get all that. I guess it depends on where you work?

As for schools, Melrose was not always a wealthier town - it has been traditionally pretty blue collar - and only recently has become more upscale. When we first moved, I was also worried that the schools were not "top 10" status but knew great and interested parents who already had kids in the schools who urged me to enroll them at least thru elementary school. So I did, and figured if things were not good we could always move or send to private schools. But my kids loved elementary school, then the middle school, then the high school so there was never any need to switch. And as the town adds more affluent families the schools have gotten better (the elementary school my kids attended used to be a 7 when they went there - now it is a 9, whatever that means).

Melrose is such a great town - we weren't panning in staying either but 20 years later we are still enjoying the town and the bonus is our house is more valuable than we ever thought it would be.
Thanks so much for your reply Beantown_mama! I really appreciate your insight as a long-time resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts