Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
when its no longer the case.

HOWEVER, the glib and ignorance of some of the comments in this thread are sad...but not shocking. Things tend to be more difficult for minorities. Fact. This doesn't mean things are always easy for white people . Its not a zero sum game regardless of how you spin it. have a little empathy, it might make you feel better.
I agree with this statement, but as of recent being lumped into a "white privilege" category is what bugs me. As the child of immigrants, where I saw the struggles of being considered "different" by my neighbors, and constantly having to defend myself with certain stereotypes being thrown at me were a nuisance growing up. I certainly didn't have it any easier than people would be led to believe.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I agree with this statement, but as of recent being lumped into a "white privilege" category is what bugs me. As the child of immigrants, where I saw the struggles of being considered "different" by my neighbors, and constantly having to defend myself with certain stereotypes being thrown at me were a nuisance growing up. I certainly didn't have it any easier than people would be led to believe.
Yes, anyone who is different could have trouble no matter what color their skin is. The assumption that white people have it made is wrong, but, all in all, we do have it better than minorities.

As I said before, the woman wanted a yard for her child to play in but she also wanted a diverse community so her child wouldn't feel left out. As I said, maybe a condo in a more better city would have been better. She would have had to give up the yard but hopefully there would have been a park nearby. We don't seem to have well integrated cities and towns that offer a decent middle to upper middle class life style.

And, as others have said, once a person/family becomes established socio-economically, the problems of being a minority mostly cease to exist--from what I have observed. (We don't really know unless we talk to the people and they give us honest answers.) But if you have a black married couple who are doctors or other respected professionals, I don't think they'll have problems. The major problem for minorities probably lies in making that transition in the first place.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But if you have a black married couple who are doctors or other respected professionals, I don't think they'll have problems. The major problem for minorities probably lies in making that transition in the first place.

Very good point

Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM

93 posts, read 82,940 times
There's a thread on quora called
What is it like to grow up as a black person in a mostly white community in the US. Definitely worth a read for some different perspectives.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
The woman wasn't upset about the demographics of Brockton. There are roughly the same amount of Black and White residents and 10% Hispanic. She was upset about the crime and the seedy areas and the fact that there were little to no professionals around. Like we said she had a choice. She could have bought in Stoughton which is 10% black or Randolph which is an even higher percentage but then she would have had to buy a house that needed some work and she wasn't willing to do that.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM

319 posts, read 504,386 times
Some are offended by the sentiment expressed by the subject of the article. Perhaps I may add to a slightly different perspective. It goes back to the old saying, "its not what you said, rather how you made me feel about myself."

The strong reaction of some on this forum is probably in that same spirit. Putting one's feelings aside, on both sides,
I have a question?

Have you ever been in an environment where you were the extreme minority? I mean as in the only one of a certain kind in,
say a few hundred?

- the sole African American in a large group of Caucasians?
- the sole Caucasian in a large group of African Americans?
- the sole Asian in a large group of Caucasians?
- the sole gay person in a large group of heterosexuals?

How did you feel? Were there comments, did you have to justify? Were there no everyday amenities that catered to your needs?
Were people welcoming or was there a social exclusion?

So the subject of the article as I understood it meant diverse, with diverse amenities, and exposure to diverse music?

I challenge you to seek out an establishment in an area where you are the extreme minority (barbershop, restaurant, gym, etc.),
spend some time there, then report back how you felt.

Also if someone is in the extreme minority someplace, the truth is that yes there are some serious jerks out there. But, overwhelmingly the case is that folks have not ever had to think about or have not been exposed to certain issues versus their somehow harboring hatred. Once such individual know, they are typically of the sentiment "I had no idea" and misunderstandings are usually just that.

So, I would say for people to relax. It's not about you.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM

I understand what you're are saying. And Yes I have been there. And NO its not fun.
But the criteria that this woman outlines are impossible for any race, sex or age.
It sort of diminishes the struggle of anyone else in her same situation. And there are plenty of them.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
MA real estate and race
As others have said, it's NOT about race. Desirable real estate everywhere is out of the reach of most average people regardless of their race, and especially a single parent who isn't willing to purchase a fixer-upper. This more about overpopulation AND foreigners coming into our real estate markets.

I was just reading about what is happening to Toronto real estate after Vancouver instituted a 15% tax on real estate purchases from foreign buyers. It's crazy out there.

I am tired of liberal Boston Globe always trying to make minorities into victims.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Sometimes things can be racist, ageist, sexist etc without really intending it to be. Let me give a few examples.

I sat in at a meeting about rising rents in Springfield. Now the thing was pretty basic because the developments have led to higher demand and more people moving in etc. But.....nearly 95% of those there were single parents. Obviously you are going to have a hard time affording any price increase with just one person working. If felt like we were treating a symptom rather than the disease.

You have to look a bit more in detail of a practice to see the compounding of racism. Here's an example. Many towns in mass are governed by a selectboard and open town meeting and various committees and boards that govern town departments. What's wrong with that?

1) Boards/Commities can only be made up of residents. Meaning if you cannot afford to live there you cannot serve on those.

2) Many of these towns restrict 40B projects, school choice and Metco

3) The boards and committees have very significant influence in hiring since they oversee them and might actually be part of hiring process.

Basically the systems are practically a residency requirement.

4) Towns also siphon off revenue from other communities in the forms of chapter 70 (education), chapter 90 (highway funds), circuit breaker (special ed), community preservation act. On a larger scale the mortgage deduction.

Having grown up in one of the whitest areas of the state I can attest that it is intimidating for minorities. It compounds and eventually if there is something that serves them then that can become a stereotype.

Oddly I was just in Ontario last week and might go to Toronto (could see it from Niagara falls ca). The QEW is a breeze to drive on.

Am I saying that higher prices by themselves are racist? No not at all. But if you reject school choice AND Metco AND also try to fight 40B's.

The other problem with this is when people start retiring in the local governments and businesses and they have to be more aggressive to hire. To agree a bit with the above what minority wants to be the only one. I used to be in an office and there was probably three guys and 30+ women. The second one read a story about some survey of men I'd get stared at as if I had to explain it. That was pretty small. Then you might be accused of being an affirmative action hire so some rather not deal with all that pressure so they don't apply.

here's another example...transit. Look at Boston and look at who takes a train(subway or commuter) vs takes a bus. The developed areas are more likely to take a subway or commuter..the ones that aren't are with a bus. There are probably people that live in the north and south shore that have never actually been on a MBTA bus. Speaking more with transit and this is with brockton and that is if ridership is all they look at then the problem compounds. Does transit allow people to bypass areas in favor of others. How many bus and train routes in Mass go by a mall and bypass the downtowns? How many highways divided up neighbors ? This is where the old saying "Other side of the tracks" comes from.

The media also has a role because in many small towns there is no real local media. No newspaper and no tv/radio. With that in mind in many cases people do get away with more.

Racism isn't exactly just some southern hick with a confederate flag burning a cross and yelling the n word. It could be some liberal elitist that frankly is so NIMBY mixed with CAVE (citizens against virtually everything) that the N word they rather not use is neighbor.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Racism isn't exactly just some southern hick with a confederate flag burning a cross and yelling the n word. It could be some liberal elitist that frankly is so NIMBY mixed with CAVE (citizens against virtually everything) that the N word they rather not use is neighbor.
This hit the nail straight on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts