Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 10,932 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to install a fence at my house which i bought an year ago, recently while looking through the town documents online & town-hall, i found that there is no mention / record of the shed which i have in my property, also the rear side of the shed doesn't have enough setback distance from my neighbors property. ( Town guidelines says its should be at-least 10 feet away, but mines is less than a foot away from neighbors line). According to my previous owner who lived there for 13 years, shed has been there before he purchased the property. I'm not sure whether this shed has got a permit / town has lost the record / rules came into existence after the shed is constructed.

Coming back to the question, if i erect a fence and building inspector comes for fence inspection, will he ask me to take the shed down as it doesn't follow the guidelines / no permit ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
The answer is Maybe.

You won't know until the inspector comes. BTW, you're pulling a permit for a fence? Even fence companies don't do that.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks for your reply @robr2,
I live in a metro-west town, the town needs a permit for any kind of fences, not sure whether all homeowners went that way.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 AM

880 posts, read 818,783 times
If the shed looks brand-new, the inspector would likely conclude its placed illegally. If it looks like it dates back to 'pre-regulation', I would doubt the inspector would want you to 'prove' its age!

Make sure you are on friendly terms with the nearest neighbor, they are ones who could 'force' the issue...

Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasri View Post
Thanks for your reply @robr2,
I live in a metro-west town, the town needs a permit for any kind of fences, not sure whether all homeowners went that way.
Most towns require a permit for a fence. I believe in my hometown if you're putting up a length of fence more than 8 ft in length you need to pull a permit. The town wants to make sure you're keeping within the requirements for fences (some towns have height restrictions) and they want to make sure you've had the property surveyed to make sure the fence is actually installed on your property.

I'm sure there are fences out there that were installed without permits. I see unpermitted work everyday, but the law does require the pulling of permits.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Building Permits seem to vary town by town and inspector by inspector. I have heard all types of horror stories working in the Real Estate Biz over the years.

In my town a 8x10 shed is as large as you can go without a permit but adding plumbing or electrical triggers the permit.

Each town also has its version of setbacks to the property line which will often be determined to when the land was subdivided.

Permits are a pain in the butt but they are necessary in order to comply with the law.

Make sure that you close it out when you are done or there will be questions to answer and potential problems when you sell the house.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,666 times
I had this issue at a closing, shed was on the property line with town land. Lawyer for the bank let it go because it didn't have a foundation.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Thanks for your inputs Boston_Burbs, bugelrex,Cape Cod Todd, MikePRU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts