U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM

76 posts, read 117,390 times

Advertisements

Looking for information about Mendon, Sutton and Upton. Would love reviews on these three towns - pros/cons, general information, things to be aware of, school experiences, vibe of the area, do homes hold their value, etc. Currently living in Maynard (near Acton/Sudbury/Concord); interested in how these towns would compare to our current area. (Commute not immediate or high concern as work is combination of work from home & slightly off hour commuting.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:20 PM

33 posts, read 24,509 times
Home values in those towns are fairly solid, I grew up in Uxbridge and live in Northbridge. Not alot to do intown but not to far from towns with stores,movies,restaurants.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,776,262 times
Very different than Maynard. They are good, rural towns. Mendon and Upton more than Sutton though, IMHO. Mendon has a bit of a RI commuting tie.

All of them are hard to commute into Boston from, so their values stay relatively low, but stable. Sutton, being on 146, makes for an easy commute into Worcester or Providence.

Mendon does have a drive in.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 PM

18 posts, read 4,864 times
Don't know much about Sutton but Mendon and Upton are nice small towns. They share the same school district so from that perspective there isn't a difference. When it comes to the school budget there seem to be philosophical differences between the towns-Mendon fights any school related tax overrides tooth and nail while Upton seems to approve them routinely. Although they are reportedly improved, Mendon has had issues with town finances for a while.

Both are pretty rural towns-aesthetically speaking I'd say Upton is the nicer of the two if that matters to you and a larger portion of Upton has better Interstate (495) access. Mendon also has a rather unfortunate stretch of Route 16 that is home to a massive car dealership group that really doesn't jive well with the small town feel elsewhere in town. It does, however have a two screen drive-in movie theater which is certainly
not something you see everyday!

For a supermarket and other shopping you'll have to head out of town but there's quite a bit of that in Milford and Bellingham which are both only a town away.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM

149 posts, read 85,101 times
I live near Maynard now (I'm in Stow) but used to live in Hopkinton. I moved 3 years ago. Husband couldn't look in Upton/Mendon because of commute but I would have, more house and land for your money. Just looking online Mendon/Upton schools look much better than Sutton.
We have friends who live in Millville, big house, large lot for less but they do say it's a drive just to a supermarket and sometimes they miss being closer to things.
I think Stow/Bolton are amazing towns and would suggest them if you wanted to stay closer to Maynard with a "rural" feel.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 4,051,480 times
Sutton is very nice, good schools. Close to 146 which will bring you to shopping in Millbury - Blackstone Valley has your Target, movie theatre, restaurants, Best Buy and other chain stores. I would say the closest grocery stores are Market Basket in Oxford off Sutton Ave & Market 32 on 146. Picturesque town. Some parts of town have no sell signal (I have ATT & my signal always drops driving through). I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a home in Sutton.

I have a friend who lives in Upton. She is a school teacher so schools were a utmost priority for her own kids. I know she has a 13 year old who goes to the public schools and at one point she said she had to purchase an iPad for her kid as all the text books would be digital. I thought that was very cool an innovative, but a burden on parents as well. Other than that I don't know much about Upton itself. I've driven through it, but not spent much time there.

I don't know much about Mendon at all. I went there once to drive through that car dealer's Christmas light display once. It was pretty cool.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,425,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post

I don't know much about Mendon at all. I went there once to drive through that car dealer's Christmas light display once. It was pretty cool.

Good luck!
That car dealer's bigger lights display was at his home in Millis. They didn't have it last year.

Southwick's Zoo is in Mendon. It's pretty big.

Sutton, Upton, Mendon in that order.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:49 AM

20 posts, read 13,419 times
If you have kids in public school, I would choose Upton. If you want to be closer to civilization (495/90), choose Upton.

Sutton would be nice if you had dual commutes (which I know you don't) to Worcester/Providence area due Rte. 146. There is a Starbucks/Price Chopper/5 guys plaza now on 146. Yes, grocery shopping out here is painful - there are very few choices. There are no Boston-quality restaurants either.

I have lived in an adjoining town for 17 years and cannot escape due to spouse's job. Everything is far, programs in the schools are being cut, etc.

I would say if you want land and space - Mendon might be the most affordable, Sutton most beautiful, Upton most convenient. This is just my opinion. I would have chosen Upton 17 years ago but couldn't afford to.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM

3,627 posts, read 3,662,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesobad View Post
I would say if you want land and space - Mendon might be the most affordable, Sutton most beautiful, Upton most convenient. This is just my opinion. I would have chosen Upton 17 years ago but couldn't afford to.
This. Mendon-Upton schools rank slightly higher than Sutton but both districts are considered excellent for southern Worcester County. Sutton is much more spread out and lots tend to be larger. Price per square foot would be slightly higher in M-U. If you work in Metro West or Greater Boston, go with Upton, with Mendon a close second. If you work in Worcester/Providence corridor, try Sutton.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 PM

76 posts, read 117,390 times
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. We are still trying to decide if getting more house will be worth the rural atmosphere and potential future commute problems if we stay in the home after our current situation of a flexible, largely remote working scenario ends. (Alternative is something older and smaller closer to Boston/Metro West.) Mendon/Upton seems a little closer to civilization than Sutton, but it's hard to tell. For occasional commute to Waltham it looked like Sutton would actually be shorter, if we were relatively close to the Grafton exit on the Mass Pike vs. taking 495 to 90 from Mendon or Upton. Does that make sense? All three are pretty areas, primarily just looking for a nice place to raise a family among other young families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts